FORUMS: list search recent posts

Xsan new volume from a Macpro?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rodrigo fajardo
Xsan new volume from a Macpro?
on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:02:42 pm

Hi guys, is it possible to use a Macpro with a raid card to create a volume using its internal disks and share it to the Xsan? Im having an issue with a dedicated storage and i want to have a second option just in case.

Best

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Xsan new volume from a Macpro?
on Jul 27, 2018 at 6:36:06 pm

XSAN ? Really - I don't know anyone using XSAN anymore.
The simple macOS High Sierra Server software no longer works properly like it did in the past.
There are many inexpensive network attached shared storage systems that you can purchase today from QNAP and Synology to accomplish what you want, but if you just want to use your Mac Pro, you can load in Sierra Server 10.12.6 or an older OS to get simple file sharing to work for you.
But XSAN ? Really ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

rodrigo fajardo
on Jul 27, 2018 at 8:25:07 pm

I will have to keep it running until november when we get our new NAS, as this is a big purchase. Actually we have an Xsan and one of the chassis failed and i need to share some folders using the FC infrastructure. It would be a mess to allow users to reach a volume using smb protocol and other volume using the xsan.

I guess the file sharing you´re talking about is using smb or afp.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 27, 2018 at 8:37:00 pm

yes - I am talking about using AFP, SMB, or NFS to allow users to access the shared volume. The way that most corporations with networks continue to work in 2018.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 27, 2018 at 8:40:01 pm

what NAS did you purchase. I can only hope it's from one of the established companies in the video business, like Facilis, EditShare, DDP, Promax, Archion, GB Labs, AVID, Studio Network Solutions, Apace, LumaForge, or a cheaper system from QNAP, Synology, Netgear, QSAN, Asustor. I hope it's not NetApp, Isilon, Quantum or Dell - because you will be back in the same boat you are in now, with insane costs.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

rodrigo fajardo
on Jul 27, 2018 at 9:30:17 pm

It´s between Quantum, Dell and GBlabs. I would like GBlabs but i have failed to get enough input from GBlabs users, have you tried them?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:31:42 pm

Your response is well - shocking to me.
You are going to spend the money for a Quantum, when GB Labs - a fully established company in London (I assume you are in London, Rodrigo, and not the United States) - has proven that they can provide a wonderful shared storage environment for professional video users. Their support is right in London.

Exactly what is Dell going to do for you. WHY are you not considering an ESTABLISHED company in the video industry, that knows exactly what it takes to make FCP X, Adobe Premiere, AVID and Davinci Resolve work. WHY are you considering a solution from Dell or Quantum, that know NOTHING about your industry, and the applications that we use to make our living. Are you making the decision here, or is there someone above you in IT that knows nothing about video, but it administrating a larger network that wants Quantum or Dell. This is a TERRIBLE decision. Of the three choices you have just given me, there is no question that GB Labs is the ONLY choice that you should consider. There are plenty of other companies that can provide a wonderful working solution for you, that I have mentioned in my previous post (I would be happy to retype those names). If someone making this decision (that does not include you) is not familiar with Maxon Cinema 4D, FCP X, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, AVID Media Composer, Davinci Resolve, Blackmagic Fusion - then this person should be FIRED, or killed - and I would be happy to "do the deed" and go to jail, as long as an IT manager that knows NOTHING about our industry is not involved in making a decision that has NO knowledge of our industry, and the applications that are required to run on these systems.

I am always fascinated by posts like this. Unfortunately, I have to deal with people like this on a regular basis.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

rodrigo fajardo
on Jul 28, 2018 at 1:42:44 am

Hi Bob, you hit the nail with the IT thing, i'm about to get a firegun but I would need a lot of bullets. This kind of purchases walk through a very long way because of the money amount, and IT guys get involved because they "know" about bandwidth and networks. dellguys say they have deployed post environments with the software we use to deal with but I don't trust them not a whit. the thing here is they have a salesforce way more powerful than a pure video solution vendor so managers in my company start getting haunted by their songs.

At the end it becomes a confronting between a lot of IT people and me. they're going trough so many aspects maybe 100 points to be evaluated that I know it becomes a random selection: the worst solution could win in spite of having a low score.

I have plenty of reasons not to select the big ones but maybe I need more ideas. this is a big deployment for a nas, nearly 130 concurrent video editing clients in a local video network including all the post production software you mentioned. your input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]