FORUMS: list search recent posts

Areca RAID High Pitched Whine/Tone

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Geoff Windosor
Areca RAID High Pitched Whine/Tone
on May 15, 2018 at 9:09:49 pm

So, I'm pretty sure I know where this goes, but I've got an old Areca ARC-4036 that's been in constant use since circa 2008? Over the years multiple drives have been hot swapped due to impending drive failures, etc. Recently, an extremely high pitched whine (think tinnitus) will occasionally start happening for random amounts of time. If I gently reposition the box, it will sometimes stop, sometimes not. I've run SMART tests on the individual platters and can't come up with any faults, so I'm wondering if it's a failing capacitor or something? I haven't had any hits in performance, or noticed any other actual negative effects from it, but am starting to worry in the back of my head that it's something more ominous. Obviously, probably the most prudent thing to do would be start looking into a new RAID box for myself, but figured I'd see if anyone else has run into this and knew if it had any likely culprits. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Areca RAID High Pitched Whine/Tone
on May 15, 2018 at 11:10:49 pm

let me be clear - NO ONE is going to REPAIR your box. Let's say the power supply is failing, and it's a bad capacitor in the power supply that costs 6 dollars. NO ONE IN THE WORLD is going to put the labor out to fix it for you, for your 2008 box. If you value your data, replace the unit. Most Areca modern raid arrays, will instantly mount the old data, as the MRAID format has not changed.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]