FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have a film I did a few years ago I want to save for the long term. Best way to do that?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
I have a film I did a few years ago I want to save for the long term. Best way to do that?
on May 15, 2018 at 7:07:31 pm

I made a film a few years ago, and the entire project was about 5 TB's large.

I occasionally need to grab something from it or some stills, but I rarely work on it more.

The hard drives it's back up on are now almost 8 years old, so I want to back them up on some new hard drives to prevent any failures. I was thinking of getting getting one portable, bootable external (like one of those small Seagates) and one internal drive of the kind I can use with my Rocketstor dock.

Any thoughts on this? I don't have a sense for what might be the best long term option now.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: I have a film I did a few years ago I want to save for the long term. Best way to do that?
on May 15, 2018 at 11:08:47 pm

It's 5 TB ?
Buy a 6TB drive - perhaps buy 2 6TB drives, and back it up .

Here is a 6TB HGST drive -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1323111-REG/hgst_0s04007_6tb_7200_de...

$194 each. Make a backup of the original, and a second backup. So you have the 8 year old version, and two new clones of the data - one at your home, and one in a safe, or a friends house.

If you dare say "well, I really wasn't planning on spending $194 per drive - isn't there something cheaper" - well, then I guess your film has no value.

You can use Super Duper, ChronoSync, Carbon Copy Cloner, or ShotPut Pro, or the new Hedge.Video to clone your drive.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: I have a film I did a few years ago I want to save for the long term. Best way to do that?
on May 15, 2018 at 11:13:37 pm

What makes these drives better? Just a higher quality drive? You're right. Not worth skimping on this.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 16, 2018 at 1:29:07 pm

these are not "better drives". The HGST NAS series are "desk star" or desktop series drives. The "better" drives are
Enterprise or Ultrastar drives. WD GOLD for example are "better drives". The HGST NAS series are very inexpensive, and very reliable.

How little do you want to spend on this ?

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]