FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD capacity needed to run OS & cs6 - Also HDD size for work files - to edit r3d 4k feature film

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom lewis
SSD capacity needed to run OS & cs6 - Also HDD size for work files - to edit r3d 4k feature film
on Apr 29, 2018 at 12:13:12 am

Hi

Is 1TB SSD size enough to run win7 OS & CS6, to edit r3d 4k feature film?

Also is raid 0 24TB enough for the edit, work files etc (not source media - that's external, probably about 50TB)?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SSD capacity needed to run OS & cs6 - Also HDD size for work files - to edit r3d 4k feature film
on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:40:36 pm

Win 7 - you know that they don't make Win 7 anymore. Win 10 only. So I guess you have an old computer.
CS6 - they don't make that anymore - so I guess you have a free copy with a serial # for CS6, and I guess you probably have a free Win 7 PC, and a free copy of CS6. And you are editing a feature film ? Is George Lucas the producer ?
Yes, 1TB is more than enough, as long as you don't put your media on this drive. Remember, with Adobe software, you will have a media cache, and you have to make sure the media cache does not fill up your boot drive.

RAID 0, for a feature film ? I guess you don't care if a drive fails, because in RAID 0, if a drive fails, you lose all your data.
So is 24 TB enough for your feature film ? Gee - I don't know. You should use AJA Data Calc to figure out how much space you will use. You have not said what codec you will be working in. With RED 4K r3d files, there are LOTS of variations - you can see all of this at red.com/tools/recording time.

SO - for this feature film - are you finishing the film (is this final quality) or are you just doing the offline with proxy files ? Will you conform back later to the original hi res R3D media, and color grade later ? Out of curiosity, is this being done in LA, or somewhere else ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]