FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non-NAS media management

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Graham
Non-NAS media management
on Apr 10, 2018 at 7:32:49 am

Hi everyone.

I am almost certain this would have come up before, i searched the forum to no avail so apologies for any repetition.

I have taken on a big 30-episode contract and hiring some freelance editors to knock out offlines. I will handle onlines and general data wrangling/ media management.
As this is a once off contract, i would like to setup the most effective 4 edit suite system without having to buy 10G switches etc.
I looked at getting a small NAS for Prproj files, music & other small assets and just connecting the guys via wifi for on-the-fly project backups, then prepping each editor his own local USB3 drive with footage each day, which i would then back up once that episode is complete.

Is there any recommendations for a better pipeline? Am i over thinking this?
Considering i can only connect via WiFi & have pretty limited budget.

Thanks for your time and any advice!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Non-NAS media management
on Apr 12, 2018 at 2:01:26 am

you want shared storage, but you want no complexity. Exactly what does this mean - you want a plug and play solution that will not require you to pay someone's labor to set this up for you ?

QNAP TVS-873e - $1300
QNAP 10G card - $359 (it will soon be $139 in a few weeks)
eight 10TB SATA drives - $2400
QNAP 10G switch - $589
plug in your computers to the switch at 1G - you get 100 MB/sec
get the new Sonnet Solo 10G - you get 800 MB/sec. The Solo 10G is $199 for thunderbolt 3 computers.
If you have 4 Win PC's, the 10G cards are $99 each.

and yes, this can be configured for WiFi access as well, with limited bandwidth, as well as remote internet access.

oh, someone has to set this up for you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Wayne Graham
Re: Non-NAS media management
on Apr 17, 2018 at 9:56:36 am

Bob, thank you very much for your input.
My post was merely to pick the brains of anyone well versed in this, to see if i was thinking along the right lines, not to skirt around paying for someone to set it up.

Thanks again,

THANKS !!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]