FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup or Disaster Recovery Needed

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bilbro
Backup or Disaster Recovery Needed
on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:46:51 pm

So I am the resident virtualization and storage IT guy for my company. Our marketing departments have been increasing the demands of higher performing bulk storage for their video and editing needs. I am quickly finding the solutions they have in place or in the works may not be the most ideal solutions for the long term.

I am finding very good reading on these forums about EditShare and Facilis Storage solutions. Pros and Cons to each and performance gained through Fibre Channel or 10GBe. What I have not found much of is Backup needs or disaster Recovery needs and how they are being met. We store video recordings of WWII vets and their stories, some of which may never be told again. How do other companies or individuals back these up or protect from disaster? Do people buy 2x Terrablock 24D and simply replicate one to the other? Just looking for ideas for both data protection and budgetary reason to know what to plan for to ensure this data is protected/archived for a long period of time as necessary.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Backup or Disaster Recovery Needed
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59:38 pm

Chris, boy are you in luck -
look what I found !
http://forums.creativecow.net/archiving

Creative Cow has an entire forum designed for archiving and backup !
And guess what - the guys from Tolis Group and Cache-A actively participate on this forum.

And of course, Facilis offers this -
http://www.facilis.com/syncblock.html
to do exactly what you want if you have a Facilis shared storage system, and
EditShare has this -
http://www.editshare.com/products/ark
if you have an EditShare !

Do you currently own a Facilis Terrablock, or do you own something else ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Bilbro
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:10:32 pm

We have a few Avid MacPros, they use local Thunderbolt Drives and upload to a small NAS that is not really cutting it. I am looking for a 3 year solution that could allow them to grow as they need and not be impeded by a bad storage solution. We kind of have a Greenfield on where we can go for them, we will be getting requirements today but I want to look at all options.

We have roughly 20 Users that do Audio and Video for our Marketing team, they are all located in the same building. We also have a few other at another building that do Audio and Video for Remote Office Marketing (Branches) and doubt the company will let us consolidate all AV personnel under one roof. The ProMax Studio looks interesting for the Branch AV team as a one off solution that offers performance and mobility.

I may be in touch with ProMax or Facilis after today's meeting with our Exec at Marketing to get a better idea of what is offered and where we can go.

Return to posts index

Eric Newbauer
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:07:27 pm

Chris, the kind of recordings you have – the priceless/irreplaceable kind – need not just a backup solution, but an archiving solution as well.

Many shared storage systems will include some kind of sync/backup/nearline features that can be used for backup (and unfortunately, some folks still lull themselves into believing RAID is enough of a backup plan). But legitimate long-term archival is definitely a different animal and should be looked at as something that should play nicely with, but not be solved by, your shared storage solution.

We give the nod to Cache-A for our customers with long-term archival needs.

Eric Newbauer
Studio Network Solutions
http://www.studionetworksolutions.com

Return to posts index

Chris Bilbro
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:21:54 pm

No I whole heartedly agree. It needs to have a phased approach that we work with the stakeholders on identifying what needs to be backed up and what needs to be archived.

As far as the rest of our infrastructure we run on a VCE vBlock 300FX with an EMC VNX5500 storage array. We use recoverpoint for replication and have commvault in place with local and offsite backups and archive.

AV Storage is a new project/beast i am looking to undertake. Trying to isolate a enterprise storage solution locally for best performance to the End AV user while also ensuring data is backed up or snapshotted so they can revert if they mess up, backed up for the most current project, migrating data off to our Enterprise storage array where they can be kept and backed/replicated/archived for long term needs.

I want to protect this data but at the same time I do not want to get so excessive in backups that the insurance plan becomes a money sink that does not pay dividends.

So Example:
Primary Storage at AV Marketing

Use Snapshots, checkpoints, VSS for immediate rollback of projects or Replication to a mirror storage array across town for Redundancy and failback needs.
(or)
Add a mirror copy of Primary storage at our Branch AV Office and simply have Marketing replicate to Branch office and Branch replicate back to Marketing office.

Use Tape for Archive of long term data retention needs and copy a copy on and off site.

All Finished products moved to EMC VNX and stored there where it is backed up (Commvault), replicated (Recoverpoint) and archived (Commvault) as per standardization in datacenter runbook.

Return to posts index

marcus lyall
on Aug 10, 2013 at 4:47:56 pm

We use Presstore and an LTO5 jukebox.
You need to be thinking about having both a nightly 'backup' for work in progress.
And an 'archive' for finished projects.

If your edits are deadline sensitive, I would recommend that you have a primary SAN for your editors to work from, plus a mirror of this SAN, in case the first one goes down.
So every night, the data on your primary SAN is backed up onto tape and to a second SAN, so you only lose 1 days work if everything goes wrong.
Plus your editors can keep working that day from secondary SAN.

Even better, keep project files backed up on your desktop machines, as you'll be updating these more often than footage.

The rule of thumb is that your data should be in 3 places at the same time while you are working. One of these should preferably be offsite.

Sounds drastic but believe me you do not want the pain when it goes wrong and the backup plan isn't working. I have been there and it is not good at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]