FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 5 with Interleave of 1MB. Any Issues with this?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
RAID 5 with Interleave of 1MB. Any Issues with this?
on Oct 4, 2013 at 8:32:44 pm

Hey all. I recently cleaned off my RAID and rebuilt a new RAID 5 with an interleave size of 1MB. This is a RAID 5 of 8 Sata drives (8TBs) on a ATTO R608 SAS card. I used to use a 256KB Interleave size and had great performance at first but it tapered severely as the drives filled up to 80%, which I know is to be expected but this was almost a 300MB per second drop in reads. In an effort to thwart that this time I thought I would try a larger interleave size since it is primarily my media array. So far getting some of the fastest speeds I have seen with this setup. After adding about 2.5TBs back on it has only dropped from 850MBs to 750MBs Reads. Thoughts? I have noticed with a very large project in Premiere an occasional pause while jumping quickly from clip to clip...it will be fine for 20-30 takes and then almost like it needs to look further ahead before continuing, pauses for a moment. However this has been infrequent. Runs great otherwise.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: RAID 5 with Interleave of 1MB. Any Issues with this?
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:43:45 pm

here is my stupid opinion. It appears tha tyou have only one goal - to modify the settings of your ATTO RAID setup, to avoid having to spend more money on storage as you need more storage (how can I keep pushing this system to the max, without spending another penny ?) -
well, you can't.
1) buy more storage - or buy larger drives - you have 1TB, buy 2TB, 3TB, or 4TB drives. Or buy another array
2) using Premiere, and getting questionable performance -

a) put more RAM in your computer
b) buy an NVidia Quadro card for your computer, and enable CUDA
c) install a dedicated SATA or SSD Media Cache drive, and assign this drive via Preferences> Media> Media Cache, so that your Media Cache is NOT on the RAID array.

Then your problems will go away.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
Re: AID 5 with Interleave of 1MB. Any Issues with this?
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:57:38 pm

I think you misunderstood my question. I was only wondering if there was any downside to the 1MB interleaved setting versus my usual 256KB interleave?

Wasn't really complaining about anything else. Yes I could possibly use some more storage eventually. But I have 2 8TB Raid 5s at the moment and am fine with them for now. I do plan this year to purchase and build a SSD raid for 1200MBs plus performance for current projects with the Raid 5s as more if a fast backup storage.

My system has 32 cores of Xeon power, 3xGTX 680 4GB cards, Black Magic IO, SSD boot drives, etc. Scored 9 fastest in the world on Sandra benchmark last December. I can play multiple 5K RED epic tracks at full Rex in Premiere without dropping a frame with full IO. Performance is not the issue. Just curious about interleave settings. I changed both the interleave and updated to Adobe CC last week so have yet to do much work on it. So the little hitch I was getting may just be project related or new software.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Oct 5, 2013 at 8:00:27 pm

I do use CUDA and have a dedicated SSD for caching etc..

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:18:56 pm

I personally use 512k, instead of the default 128 - but I can't see any issue with using 1Meg in the setup in ATTO Config Tool.
Will it give you the same performance that you are used to at 80% - I just don't know.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:54:57 pm

Thanks for the incite.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
Re: RAID 5 with Interleave of 1MB. Any Issues with this?
on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:08:13 pm

b) buy an NVidia Quadro card for your computer, and enable CUDA

Bob Zelin,

I have appreciated your expertise in these forums for many years now. So I am surprised that you would advise the above. Quadro for 3D design perhaps, but for Cuda a GTX card would be faster and cheaper by far. See bearfeats.com for the Mac benchmarks. Windows benchmarks probably in the usual places like anandtech.

Good to see you active in various forums,
Robert A. Ober
PS: Got any tips on my Proavio EB400CR 8TB that is hopefully on it's way?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]