FORUMS: list search recent posts

Achieving Projects / Backing Up Footage / Retrieving Projects

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Foster
Achieving Projects / Backing Up Footage / Retrieving Projects
on Jan 4, 2018 at 6:11:24 pm

Hey gang!

I run a small production company that does documentaries, tv series, commercial, and corporate work. It's embarrassing, but we've been in business for 11 years now, but with no real long term storage solution.

We have a few editors in-house that do not require sharing footage. We use macs (5k iMac/ new MBP) along with Premiere, however a lot of our old stuff is with Avid.

We currently have projects achieved on hard drives that sit on the shelf, literally...again, embarrassing.

I read another thread here that G-Tech Studio GL or Pegasus by Promise might be good, but I wonder if this is the best solution for long term. We may not touch projects for a couple years, but then pull them off the shelf...

Any help is welcome! If I'm lacking vital info to help, please let me know!

Thank you all in advance!
Steve

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Achieving Projects / Backing Up Footage / Retrieving Projects
on Jan 5, 2018 at 12:03:20 am

so exactly what kind of advice do you want ?
Do you want me to tell you to buy an LTO ?
Do you want me to tell you to buy a NAS, and backup to another NAS at your home
Do you want me to tell you to make several copies of your media onto multiple SATA drives (or SSD's) -
are you going to say "well, what's that going to cost me ?"
You have been in business for 11 years without issue.
Are you going to come back and say "I have been in business for 11 years, and I never had to spend this kind of money".

You tell me. No matter what I suggest, it ain't free.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Foster
on Jan 5, 2018 at 12:37:07 am

Thanks for writing back so quickly after I posted. I’m sorry for the lack of clarity and any frustrations. I don’t mind spending some money. Maybe under $10k would be nice, but I’m open.

My questions are:

1) what would you recommend for workflow
2) what product would you recommend we archieve to, knowing that we may need to pull out that project in a year or two.

Again, it’s embarrasing that this is our workflow after 11 years. I’m not proud of it and I’m obviously not well versed in the solution. Hence my post. LTO And NAS I know very little about. Any guidance would be great.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 5, 2018 at 2:39:54 pm

nothing is going to be cheaper than getting a Chinese NAS box like a QNAP or Synology. I often install QNAP systems, and (without drives) they are under $3000. Add 8 SATA drives (all the same size) and you will have a system that can hold all your media, and even though you don't care about sharing the media, you can share the media between your different editors (both Mac and PC's can connect). This will cost less than a dedicated Promise R8 Thunderbolt array.

That's the least expensive way to go. I suggest looking at a QNAP TS-1685 or TVS-1282T

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Foster
on Jan 8, 2018 at 8:31:11 pm

Thanks Bob.

We have about 600TB to achieve, is this still the best option?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 10, 2018 at 12:40:53 pm

Hi Steve
you need 600 TB to archive.
600 divided by 10 is 60.
Please go to google or Amazon, and look at the price of a 10 TB SATA drive - not a RAID system, or backup system, or NAS or cloud site. Just a bare cheap as you can find 10 TB drive. Now multiply that by 60.

You state about that your budget is $10,000. You tell me. Can you afford to do this ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]