FORUMS: list search recent posts

For anyone dealing with spontaneous unmounting and remounting of drives or raids, a simple solution

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg janza
For anyone dealing with spontaneous unmounting and remounting of drives or raids, a simple solution
on Sep 21, 2017 at 5:55:40 am

I've been dealing with a very odd and perhaps localized problem with one of my OWC Thunderbay raids for about six months. When I'm working, the raid that is attached to my PC works flawlessly. It's fast, responsive and works like it should. However, if I stepped away from the computer for more than 20mins and left the computer on, the raid would spontaneously unmount and then immediately remount itself. If I had a Premiere project open all of the media would go offline and it wouldn't automatically reconnect after the raid remounted. also once triggered, the mounting and remounting would occur multiple times until I reset the raid by restarting the PC.

I went through all of the Windows Power Management settings, I updated Bios and drivers. I did deep google searches to try to get to the bottom of the problem but nothing worked. I also contacted my motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) as well as OWC tech support but neither had any ideas.

But recently I accidentally stumbled onto a forum thread elsewhere in which people were complaining that their WD drives were doing the same thing (spontaneously unmounting and remounting) and one person knew about this simple app (http://xsleep.codeplex.com/) that keeps communication alive between any drive or raid and the computer on a regular timed basis so that the drive or raid cannot go into a sleep mode or power down mode.

I loaded up xsleep and voila, all instances of unmounting and remounting have gone away. This one drove me crazy for quite some time so if anyone else is experiencing this perhaps xsleep is all you need.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]