FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up our LTO tape drive

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rayjohn Tagayon
Setting up our LTO tape drive
on Sep 6, 2017 at 10:09:34 am

I would just like to ask you guys for assistanceon setting up the tape drive that we bought so that we could start the back-up of some of our past projects.

We bought a Dell Powervault LTO6 Tape drive (SAS Connectivity), and an ATTO H680 SAS HBA PCIe card for our office machine running Windows 10. Device Manager says it recognizes the PCIE adapter just fine, the problem is the computer can't seem to start to recognize the tape drive even when powered on and connected via SAS.

How do I go about installing the drivers for this particular tape drive? Dell doesn't seem to have them in their site. I've tried PreRoll post (trial version, expired now) together with IBM LTFS configuration software, and it mounts the tape as an LTFS drive visible on my windows explorer, the problem is I cannot click it because the computer hangs for a minute and gives me an error.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Setting up our LTO tape drive
on Sep 6, 2017 at 7:13:14 pm

this is my advice.
The free IBM/HP LTO software never works, and even when it occasionally does work, it hangs up, and has all kinds of issues. Forget the free software.

For PC, you can purchase Imagine Products PreRoll post, or Tolis BRU Producers Edition. For Mac, you can purchase Imagine Products PreRoll Post, YoYotta, or Tolis BRU

you spent all that money for the LTO drive, and the tapes, and the ATTO H680 card. You MUST complete the purchase and buy software that is going to work. There is NO support (not even email support) for the LTFS software for IBM or HP.

and without someones software the native operating system will not see the LTO drive. The only way you can even tell if the drive is connected is via the ATTO Configuration Tool !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Rayjohn Tagayon
Re: Setting up our LTO tape drive
on Sep 7, 2017 at 4:01:29 am

Thank you.

I managed to run a demo mode of PreRoll post again, as BRU PE is still not available for Windows and is "coming soon" according to their website. I installed Preroll post, together with the IBM Drivers. Opened PRpost, and from there clicked the LTO on the menu bar at the top to open the LTO configuration software, I managed to mount the tape drive to a drive letter, but the problem is it doesn't show on my list of drives on the PRpost GUI. A drive also appears on the windows explorer but when I click it it says:

"Tape partition information could not be found when loading a tape."

Can you tell me what this means?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]