FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow server solution that can integrate with a Filmlight Flux storage.

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eduardo Serrano
Workflow server solution that can integrate with a Filmlight Flux storage.
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:43:17 pm

Hello there,

I am looking for a solution that could integrate to our existing 230TB storage provided by filmlight. I'm not sure what this solution would be called but we need something that can manage the sharing of this storage. We have a few editing stations that can be rented out, and I need something that could provide security, bin sharing and user/space management of this space. Transcoding/QC would a plus.

We have stations with Premiere, Avid MC, Avid Protools, Davinci, (FCPX not used but might be), Adobe CC, Toonboom and ofc the Baselight.

Ideally, I would love a software solution that could be installed on the Flux Server itself but I do realize that might not be possible.

Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Best,

Ed.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Workflow server solution that can integrate with a Filmlight Flux storage.
on Sep 1, 2017 at 5:36:27 pm

your question makes no sense to me . Filmlight FLUX Store can be used as a generic Network Attached Storage system
"The store also appears as a high performance NAS to the rest of the facility using NFS or SAMBA over Ethernet."
Because it works with SMB, this means that even FCP-X can be shared using FLUX Store. If you want to use AVID Media Composer with FLUX Store, you simply put Indiestor Mimiq on your workstations running Media Composer.

it's all spelled out right here -
https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/products/flux/flux_store/fxstore_features.php

If you want to transcode, you use Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Compressor or Imagine Products Prime Transcoder

so exactly what is your question ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eduardo Serrano
on Sep 7, 2017 at 4:15:22 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your time. Maybe my question wasn't clear enough, or maybe it's a question of language since I wasn't primarily educated in English.

I need a solution akin to Avid own ISIS/NEXIS, or even Promaxx plataform online hardware, that I could manage and setup users + allocated shared space for them. It's simple enough but filmlight flux storage doesn't allow this. It was designed for post house with it's own staff. Since we are a rental house, without internal artists on staff, there's a lot of concern by the clients with security for obvious reasons if we can't manage this.

I hope I made it a tad more clear.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers,

Ed.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 7, 2017 at 8:30:22 pm

Eduardo -
your English is excellent. I just did not have a clear picture of what you are trying to accomplish. While I have not personally used the Filmlight Flux storage system, it specifically states that it can be used as a generic NAS. I use generic NAS boxes all the time (like QNAP and Synology). The secret here is NOT the shared storage - the secret is Indiestor Mimiq, which you install on the client AVID Media Composer computers (either Win or Mac). This will "fool" the NAS (any NAS) into thinking that it is attached to an AVID ISIS/AVID Nexis. You DO NOT need to create iSCSI volumes. In a NAS, you can create countless shared folders (Media, Projects, Graphics, Renders, Audio, etc.). These folders on a NAS will dynamically change in size, as you add media to them. The Indiestor Mimiq software will allow for FULL AVID BIN LOCKING, just like a real AVID ISIS. I use this software all the time, and it works great (and it's cheap !!!). And it's very easy to install on Win or OS X Machines.

I will bet you anything that you can setup lots of users on the Filmlight Flux NAS system, and create a few shared folders - that is the very definition of a NAS (network attached storage). Once you do this (just like you would do on an AVID ISIS) - Indiestor Mimiq will take care of the rest for you.

Please keep asking questions.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]