FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing Satellite Offices

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Brock
Syncing Satellite Offices
on Jul 20, 2017 at 7:58:19 pm

I'm media managing a post-production house in Kansas City. We've got satellite offices with editors working in NYC, Chicago, and a new one starting in Seattle this Fall.

Are there any case studies of similar operations who sync their storage across multiple locations? What hardware/software is being used? For instance, one initial idea I had was buying several Lacie 8big Rack Thunderbolt 2 units (64TB each), setting those up at each office and using resilio to keep each storage unit in sync.

We do some in-house production, but 80% of what we do is post-only. KC is the "mother ship" but we frequently share assets back and forth between offices. Ingest originates often in KC but can happen anywhere really. KC has about 5 editors and the satellite office usually only have 1-2.

I'm not really looking for a whole new online shared editing platform (we already have Terrablock for that). More like a separate nearchive for simple automated asset sharing and redundancy backup between offices. It doesn't have to be crazy fast, even waiting 6-8 hours for a new project to ingest and propagate over all 4 offices is fine.

I'll be keeping this thread updated with progress as we come to a solution and deploy something.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Syncing Satellite Offices
on Jul 20, 2017 at 8:25:41 pm

I am not sure what you are looking for. You already state that you are using Resilio Get Sync. I could sit here and talk about a whole new system, like QNAP, but doing QNAP RTRR over the internet is not going to be any faster than Resilio Get Sync. Products like Aspera and Signiant cost a lot of money, and require licenses at each location, and once again, you are at the mercy of your internet connection. The cost is your upload and download speed, not the hardware. You could work with h264 proxy files, to make this quick, and relink the media, but if you were to say "look, we have 40 terabytes at location A, and we want 40 terabytes synced at location B" - there ain't no miracle fix here. You transmit data, be it Aspera, Signiant, QNAP RTRR, or the wonderful Resilio Get Sync Program. Isn't there a cheap super fast way to transmit 4TB of data across the internet from Kansas City to New York - simple answer - NO.

If the mother ship is Kansas City, and the remote location is New York, you certainly could setup Adobe Anywhere, IF your media is in Kansas City, but what happens if you have 4TB of media in NY that has to get to Kansas City. You are in the same pickle.

One day, we will all have crazy fiber connections going everywhere. Today is not that day.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on Jul 27, 2017 at 6:40:50 pm

Thanks Bob,

I think you pretty much covered my curiosity. I knew that our main bottleneck would simply be the internet connection. As I mentioned, we're not expecting blazing fast speeds. Tests so far indicate 60mbps, which would allow me to at least get a few terabytes synced over a 12-24 hour period. Which is fine for now.

I think my main question is whether or not using Resilio is the best software approach for this workflow. It seems to be yes, I was just hoping to bounce this idea around and see if there were some better options I haven't considered.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2017 at 12:34:21 pm

resilio works fine.
If your remote site has a slow connection, when you try to transfer 1TB, you will see that it times out.
Transfering 1 TB over a slow connection is a weekend project, not an overnight project.
A few hundred gigabytes in 12 hours is ambitious. Don't blame the technology, blame the cable companies.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on Jul 27, 2017 at 6:57:52 pm

Basically comparing Resilio to rsync, seafile, syncthing, etc.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 30, 2017 at 9:07:59 pm

a second vote for Resilio. Works extremely well.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]