FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which of two drives to choose for a 4K Premiere Pro edit?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marla Mitchnick
Which of two drives to choose for a 4K Premiere Pro edit?
on Jul 19, 2017 at 6:41:11 am

Dear Colleagues -

I have been editing forever, but have been in a Pro Res 422 Final Cut (7 and X) multicam world for the last ten years. I am jumping into my first 4K Premiere editing gig, cutting a fundraising trailer for a doc.

So far my client has 8.2 TB of footage, from many different sources and in a few different flavors of 4K, some kosher and some pro-sumer low end stuff. And it's all on a slow USB drive which will soon be a back up storage drive only.

We are looking at 16TB or 20TB drives.

The schedule is tight and transcoding is not going to happen for this phase, so we are going to work native.

She is purchasing the iMac 2017 i7, adding 32GB of RAM for now, and another 32 for phase 2, and getting a new drive.

I recommended the Promise Pegs, because I have found them to be solid and fast, but they are beyond her current budget.

We are deciding between G-raid thunderbolt 2 vs G-raid thunderbolt 3 options, and weirdly, the thunderbolt 3 options appear to be slower in some cases.

Here are two in her price range, which is about $1200, and I am open to other ideas if you have them:

20TB FOR $1299 at B+H with "High-speed data transfers up to 480 MB/s":

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333896-REG/g_technology_0g05763_g_r...

Or this16TB G-SPEED Studio Storage System with Thunderbolt 2 for $1200 (not from B+H) and it has "Transfer rates of up to 660 MB/s are possible when configured in RAID 0.":

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api...

I am nervous about the verticality of the G-SPEED, and the plastic housing. Does anyone here have experience with them overheating or being tippy/fragile? And is the 660 MB/s speed claim accurate?

The G-Tech company is good, and I have used a lot of tb2 silver metal enclosed drives, both raided and not raided, with good results, but 4k is a lot more demanding than ProRes.

Thanks,

Marla Mitchnick

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
Re: Which of two drives to choose for a 4K Premiere Pro edit?
on Jul 20, 2017 at 4:56:28 am

RAID 0 should be a non-starter. Don't even look at that figure. RAID 5 or 6 is your starting point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]