FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Storage Solution for 2017 Macbook Pro 15" and 4k Footage

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boe Beito
Best Storage Solution for 2017 Macbook Pro 15" and 4k Footage
on Jun 28, 2017 at 3:09:18 pm

Hi there,

As long as I can remember, it's always been the cardinal rule to edit video footage from an external (or at least separate) drive from the one your operating system and software is stored on.

1. With the ridiculous speed and ample storage options of modern SSDs, is that still the case?

• 1a. If I have a 3 minute editing project that's 400gb and I have a 2tb internal ssd with plenty of headroom, is there any foreseeable problem with that?
  • 1b. If the performance is optimal and I do this on a weekly basis, will I encounter issues of SSD degradation at a significantly faster rate?

2. Assuming the above isn't feasible or advisable, What are the best options for portable and not-so-portable external drives these days?

The exposition section.
  • I'm a video producer in a new role in which I'll be traveling to various company locations, filming short form videos for social/youtube, and deploying them with a relatively short turn around.
  • I'll be doing most of my editing at the home base but occasionally editing in the field.
  • I'll be editing in FCP X and supplementing with After Effects.
  • I'll be filming with a Panasonic Gh5 and Phantom 4 pro+

• I sincerely appreciate any info you might be able to provide. I'll be ordering my post-production equipment in the next few days.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]