FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert .mov to .mp4 and retain creation date.

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Potter
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19:31 pm

Hello all. Hope this is posted in the right forum. I've got 12 years of kids/family videos, over 1200. I want to convert them to .mp4 and retain the creation date. Any way to do that? I've tried Handbrake and Freemake but the creation date is set to new.

Comments appreciated.
Rick

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
Re: Convert .mov to .mp4 and retain creation date.
on Mar 16, 2017 at 7:48:35 pm

This is tricky because you'll be creating a new file for each transcode/conversion. Naturally new files get new creation dates...

I did some googling and you can use touch -r in a Linux based environment (and probably Mac OS) to retain some meta. It would be quite easy to write a simple bash script to automate this.

Here is some discussion:
https://superuser.com/questions/523286/how-to-make-handbrake-preserve-captu...

Funnily enough there is a git issue for Hand Brake about this very topic:
https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/51

Whatever you do, I hope the files are on a solid backup somewhere. They sound priceless, so good luck and use the force ;-)

Storage Engineer
alex@indiestor.com

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Mar 18, 2017 at 6:45:36 pm

Thanks for the response. I found a solution to renaming using EXIF data to rename to modified date (creation date). I found a sweet little program called Advanced Renamer. Simple to use and free.

Question. I'll be using Freemake to convert from .mov to .mp4 and the original video bit rate is less than 10,000 kbps. Other than making the file size larger is the converted quality better if I set the constant bit rate to 20,000 in the Freemake conversion software?

Rick

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: Convert .mov to .mp4 and retain creation date.
on Mar 23, 2017 at 2:10:32 pm

That will depend on the codec used in the .mov files... What's the originating file spec?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]