FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the right way to sell gear on the COW?

COW Forums : Classifieds, Personal

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Delaney
What's the right way to sell gear on the COW?
on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:46:13 pm

I've finally upgraded my gear and have some items I'd like to sell, but have never sold anything online and am concerned about getting ripped off. I'd greatly appreciate any tips from those of you who have sold gear online before ... what are the standard practices?

What forms of payment are the norm? As an individual, rather than a company, I can't process credit cards, but don't want to get stuck with any rubber checks so what are my options?

Do you typically require receipt of payment before shipping the items? If not, how do you know you'll ever receive payment and, if so, what is the buyer's assurance that they'll receive the items?

I'm 200% certain of the working condition of all the items I want to sell so what do I do if someone contacts me saying they want their money back because they can't figure out how to use the item or bought the wrong thing even though i described it accurately?

Who usually pays shipping costs ... buyer or seller?

Those are just the questions that immediately come to mind, but any other tips on what to watch out for are greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: What's the right way to sell gear on the COW?
on Mar 11, 2011 at 8:04:09 am

John, the most sensible way to accept sales money from long distance is to ask for a Post Office, Money Order check.
Customers who buy your stuff in person from 6 miles away or more need reasonable apprehension from being unexpected armed robbers. Do not be the only person home when selling, etc.
Although this method is far from usual on the Cow, you can post a list of ¨center¨ prices along with a small explanation that the exact sales price of each item will be determined as you communicate or even re-post.
Sell in reasonable sized lots if best.
Afterwards you can make a contribution mailed to the Cow`s Advertising manager Tim. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Norma Mateo-Liatsis
on Mar 11, 2011 at 1:34:35 pm

Send us a complete list of what you have.
We are buyers of used equipment.
Email: sales@ppivideo.com or Fax 845-512-2075
Thank you

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Mar 12, 2011 at 2:35:10 pm

Use Ebay and post the link here on the cow. Ebay allows you to use credit cards through paypal and protects you and the buyer. The buyer pays for shipping

Return to posts index

Craig Mieritz
on Mar 12, 2011 at 5:58:08 pm

Just don't forget to factor in the PayPal and eBay fees and make sure that you accurately estimate shipping costs, including packaging. Miscalculation on these things can really eat into your net.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

John Delaney
on Mar 12, 2011 at 7:29:26 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. So far eBay seems a waste of time since it's overrun by dealers now ... I can't even find my own items among literally many hundreds of pages of dealer listings for canon lenses so there seems no way any individual potential buyers will find them.

I'll keep trying and figure it out eventually I'm sure.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:28:46 pm

Agree about factoring in shipping and paypal fees. But what I was suggesting is paste a link here on the Cow to your ebay listing. It's still safer to use this even on the Cow. At least you'll have some protection against fraud.

Return to posts index

John Delaney
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:35:16 pm

Gotcha. Will do. Thanks again. Ebay really does seem a waste of time since it's far overrun by dealers rather than individuals these days so I'm just hoping posting on the COW will help reach the more targeted audience of video and audio pros.

Return to posts index

Craig Mieritz
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:46:33 pm

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, but you need to be careful. For the valuable items, have a minimum. I've had items sell for all over the spectrum, over/under/right on the price. It seems to mostly even out but the fees add up and it is painful to watch a $100 item sell for $10.

On the plus side, the stuff will be gone, one way or another. It's not gaining value sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Return to posts index

John Delaney
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:52:33 pm

[Craig Mieritz] "It's not gaining value sitting on a shelf somewhere."

Very good point and the reason I so regret having waited so long already ... painful to have to sell for $250 a monitor that I paid $2000 for, but such is life in a fast-changing technology field.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:08:15 am

Your monitor may go for nearly worthless but your Tiffen filters will go for full worth. It`s not like Camera Barn still sells them cheap and new anymore. My advice for selling stuff as easy to sell as them is to sell some on the Cow, and flea market or porch sale the rest. There`s no reason to give Ebay 30% of your sales gross. Just sell well. If you sell for too much money you cheat the customer, if you sell for too little you cheat yourself.

Return to posts index

John Delaney
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:31:00 pm

Thanks much Fred. That's great advice ... I just got my first eBay invoice ... it's $60 and I only sold one item! And that's not counting the PayPal and additional shipping fees I have to pay! There's clearly no way to sell anything on eBay at a reasonable price without losing money so if anyone is interested in any of the items I've listed, please reply to the post here on the COW so we can skip eBay and have a transaction that's fair to both parties.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]