FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creative Cloud Only Option will Cost me Thousands of Dollars

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richert Goyette
Creative Cloud Only Option will Cost me Thousands of Dollars
on May 14, 2013 at 5:17:03 pm

Dear All:

I have been following this carefully and weighing my options.

I am very concerned because I have purchased multiple plug-ins that perform their functions through the AE engine (eg, BCC 8, Fx Factory, CoreMelt 2, Knoll Light Factory, Magic Bullet Colorista, Magic Bullet Instant HD, Trapcode suite, SA Color Finesse 3, Video Co-pilot Elements, Zaxwerks, etc.)

You get the picture.

I subscribed to CC6 from the beginning, believing that I could always revert to a paid license should I wish. Now, if I do not continue my subscription all these plug-ins become instantly worthless.

New features are always great, but AE, PS, and Illustrator are all mature products and do what I want them to do.

Therefore, I am upgrading my CS5.5 to the Production Premium CS6 and as soon as it is installed I am going to cancel my cloud subscription. Should I need features I don't even know now that I need, I can subscribe as necessary to the service.

Rich

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: Creative Cloud Only Option will Cost me Thousands of Dollars
on May 14, 2013 at 5:37:47 pm

I am trying to understand where folks got the idea that they could revert to a perpetual license if they wished to cancel their CC subscription. I have never ever seen any marketing or indication from Adobe regarding that issue, yet I have read that a few times on the forum. Can someone please cite any official Adobe correspondence within the last year that would point toward users thinking this would be the case?

I for one knew that my CC subscription was a one way ticket when I hopped on the train.

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 14, 2013 at 5:47:29 pm

From the CS6 FAQ: http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html

Can I purchase a perpetual license for Creative Suite 6?

Yes. Adobe will continue to make Creative Suite 6 available as a perpetual software license, and will provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary. All of the CS6 suite editions and individual products continue to be available for purchase by Electronic Software Delivery (ESD) on Adobe.com as well as through select retailers. Volume licensing for these products is also available through Adobe Authorized Resellers worldwide.

Now...I don't think this means you can just stop the Creative Cloud and bam, you own CS6. You are able to buy CS6, upgrade pricing available for CS5 and CS5.5 owners get that, and have that always. Full price for those who own CS4 or under.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
on May 14, 2013 at 5:48:35 pm

Kris:

I have never read that Adobe offered that option. At the time, however, they did not say that they were going to D/C the licensed version. The minute (month, actually) that you stop paying them the perpetual fee, thousands of dollars of 3rd party plug-ins become instantly worthless (unless they have standalone versions like Pro animator or also work in FCP X).

Now that I know it, and after paying for the CC for a year, I am spending the money to purchase a copy of a licensed CS6 so that I will not be hostage to the monthly fee for the rest of my life and can use my plug-ins.

This also has implications for the plug-in creators because if they do not continue to work with CS6, I won't be upgrading.

I know that operating systems and versions change. So, I may well just keep one machine for the CS6 and rent CC for a month if Adobe comes up with some gadget that no one can live without.

Rich

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on May 14, 2013 at 6:06:33 pm

"I subscribed to CC6 from the beginning, believing that I could always revert to a paid license should I wish. Now, if I do not continue my subscription all these plug-ins become instantly worthless."

And that has changed now how, especially since Shane was kind enough to find the link for us all. And I would assume that if you cancel your subscription that you are no longer working with PrPro which in turn makes all of your plug ins instantly worthless to you. But that wouldn't matter because you would no longer be using the software anyway.

So I am not understanding all the doom and gloom that is portrayed by feeling like Adobe has shafted all of us.

Kris Merkel

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 14, 2013 at 6:29:37 pm

Kris - one of the reasons people have reacted negatively is because going forward with Adobe CC, you are being forced to pay a more expensive price than regular subscription, if you could have settled with one of the suites, and didn't need all the fancy programs.

Cloud solutions normally REDUCE the price...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on May 14, 2013 at 6:41:07 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "going forward with Adobe CC, you are being forced to pay a more expensive price than regular subscription, if you could have settled with one of the suites, and didn't need all the fancy programs. "

What is the Price for a "Regular" suscription and why are we being forced to pay more than that. I am still confused as to what you saying.

More expensive than what? You are stating generalities and I agree that in some situations it may cost a user more money if amortized over many years based on their specific buying and upgrading history within the last 5 or so years. But Adobe never said that it would not raise their prices on future suites either so that argument that it is going to cost more does not hold water and does not apply to everyone.

Besides, if you really want to look at how much it costs to operate and edit suite today compared to 10 or 15 years ago I think we could all agree that now and more than likely in the near future it is actually going to cost you less to operate your business.

Kris Merkel

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 14, 2013 at 6:48:45 pm

When I wrote "regular subscription" I was referring to the old software update subscription service, where you paid a fee for 2 years of consecutive upgrades. This model was much cheaper than the CC.

And please respect other peoples opinions, and do not justify Adobe for raising their prices, when a Cloud model with no security should actually cost less!

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on May 14, 2013 at 7:11:23 pm

Morten,

No disrespect intended, if that is how the post came across i apologize.

I agree that some folks feel slighted by Adobe's decision and I also agree that one size may not fit all. But some people, I feel, should take a more pragmatic approach to where Adobe is placing itself in the marketplace that is evolving into a Cloud centric workflow and environment. Adobe is a business and will need to adjust it's business based on the marketplace instead of continuing to do the same thing over and over and over until they do not have a viable product anymore.

I am not saying that our community should not be cautious and roll ever every time a vendor says roll, but rather question first instead of posting blanket statements and perpetuating things that are generally untrue.

Kris Merkel

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on May 14, 2013 at 7:21:22 pm

[Kris Merkel] "Adobe is a business and will need to adjust it's business based on the marketplace instead of continuing to do the same thing over and over and over until they do not have a viable product anymore.

I am not saying that our community should not be cautious and roll ever every time a vendor says roll, but rather question first instead of posting blanket statements and perpetuating things that are generally untrue."

However, a little FUD often goes a long way in making a business more receptive to complaints customers may have. Does anyone really think FCPX would have pursued their aggressive upgrading method if it wasn't for the massive negative publicity and out and out complaining?

Maybe a bit of loud FUD isn't such a bad thing. It keeps Adobe on their toes and looking at options. Sometimes, and I am not necessarily pointing fingers at Adobe or Apple alone, the consumer gets what he needs at a quicker rate by loudly complaining than politely resigning themselves to some corporate restructure.

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 14, 2013 at 9:44:49 pm

"Does anyone really think FCPX would have pursued their aggressive upgrading method if it wasn't for the massive negative publicity and out and out complaining?"

Yes and no. They announced fairly early in the aftermath of releasing FCPX that they had a ten-year development plan for the software, and indeed, one benefit of writing a new program from the ground up was being able to add new features and make fixes much more quickly. Multicam and XML were already in the pipeline for future updates when 10.0.0 was released.

On the other hand, I'm certain plenty of the newer features (in particular the Source Monitor/Event Viewer) came about due to feature requests from users who wanted that functionality they had in FCP7 back in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
on May 14, 2013 at 7:22:59 pm

Kris:

As Morten suggested, I also though that you were being somewhat disrespectful. Your response, indicates that I was mistaken.

I am sorry that you feel that my statement about thousands of dollars is a blanket statement--with the implications that term carries.

It is unequivocally true for me but I cannot speak for anyone else. And, I am not being unreasonable. I paid for the CC for a year; now I want the assurance that I can use my plug-ins whether I pay adobe monthly or not. So, I am buying the suite. Adobe actually benefits from my actions; I paid for CC to use CS6 and now I am going back and purchasing a full license to use it as long as I see fit.

You know, there are other models to ensure that customers have the latest and greatest software without perennial purchases. The Apple App store does and FCPX has been updated, what, 7 times in the last 2 years.

Rich

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 14, 2013 at 9:19:21 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "When I wrote "regular subscription" I was referring to the old software update subscription service, where you paid a fee for 2 years of consecutive upgrades. This model was much cheaper than the CC."

I'm not familiar with this arrangement...is it specific to certain markets?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 14, 2013 at 7:33:28 pm

[Kris Merkel] "What is the Price for a "Regular" suscription and why are we being forced to pay more than that. I am still confused as to what you saying."

well say here is one that is really straight forward. I own Production Premium CS6 - the price to upgrade that suite is around 350 dollars. I am now effectively paying twice that, every year. I am not in Web or DTP - I don't want those bloody applications - Adobe have just shoved them at me to justify getting 600 quid a year off me for something I no longer own.

that is a really really really really bad deal.

And they couldn't give a toss by the looks of things - they're just going to hunker down, roll out the sacrificial PR dudes and wait for us to roll over.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on May 14, 2013 at 7:43:34 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "And they couldn't give a toss by the looks of things - they're just going to hunker down, roll out the sacrificial PR dudes and wait for us to roll over."

I hope not. But I admit, it is a definite possibility. Especially if all the bad PR doesn't morph into action by the consumer that effects their bottom line.

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
on May 14, 2013 at 9:12:18 pm

I saw the the CEO, whatever his name is, at an Australian Adobe meeting.

Come, on! I've been in sales/marketing all my life and who is this guy? No respect to you customers, nor (as it turns out) your investors.

The question is, did your customers want this or did you want this?

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 14, 2013 at 9:17:12 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "And they couldn't give a toss by the looks of things - they're just going to hunker down, roll out the sacrificial PR dudes and wait for us to roll over."

I certainly think the decision is made...

However, there is more and more web traffic regarding replacement applications...and I have to say that more than a couple impressed me by the examples I was seeing.

I think that competition will build up quickly as competitive software companies see a clear opportunity...and why not?

...and my personal issue with FUD is it tends to drown out the real issues...and there are real issues at hand here...it's just not Adobe's stock price or the specific transcript of an interview the CEO gave.

I would personally endorse smaller suites, some specific remarks on what they do with mothballed applications (Flash Catalyst and Soundbooth type situations...) to start.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]