FORUMS: list search recent posts

Article on why more software companies now offer Subsription only

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
Article on why more software companies now offer Subsription only
on Dec 19, 2014 at 4:36:51 am

http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/17/why-subscription-business-models-will-tra...

Return to posts index

David Miller
Re: Article on why more software companies now offer Subsription only
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:18:05 pm

Well, there are some companies that are taking the opposite tack. They are positioning themselves to be the go-to destination for those customers who do NOT want to go the "software subscription" route. Here are 2 of them:

-------------
http://www.quark.com/2015/?gclid=CM-D96qs0sICFSyZMgod5FEAnA

In the first roll-up on that page there is a line that reads " QuarkXPress 2015 is available as a perpetual license, no subscription required. Get your lifetime license today. " And in the 2 choice link areas just below that, each choice reiterates "No subscription."

-------------
https://affinity.serif.com'

In the case of Serif's new Affinity line, they make sure to note (down near the bottom of the page) that their new vector program, Designer, is "No subscription. Just $39.99 to buy. That’s it."

There will likely be a fair number of companies that will proceed along these lines in order to take advantage of the opportunity presented by millions of disaffected Adobe customers who are looking for alternatives to Adobe offerings.

In Quark's case, they (at one time) occupied the high-and-mighty position that Adobe's InDesign occupies now. QuarkXPress had at least 90% of the market back in the early to mid 90s, but lost it all rather quickly due to customer's disenchantment with the way Quark did business back then. All it took back then was for a viable alternative to come along...and that happened in the form of a then-new application from Adobe called "InDesign".

This is a cautionary tale for Adobe.....history could repeat itself by Adobe being toppled due to its "our way or the highway" approach.

In Affinity's case, their parent company, an English company called Serif, had only existed on Windows prior to now. Their existing line of PC apps were mostly for hobbyists. When they decided to develop a line of professional graphic design apps, they decided to start that effort up on the Mac platform. They have released the first of 3 apps, a vector app called Affinity Designer (meant to eventually compete against Illustrator); they are about to release for beta Affinity Photo (meant to eventually compete against Photoshop) in a week or so; and then later in 2015 they will release Affinity Publisher (meant to compete with InDesign).

Affinity is having its growing pains with the release of their new app, but that's the way things are when software is just getting started. And when they get all 3 apps in their suite released and maturing, they will be "No subscription." I'm glad they're getting started now and that they will (hopefully soon) be alternatives to Adobe's offerings.

Competition is a good thing. And SaaS hasn't taken over everyone yet, nor do I think it will.

But if it ever DOES come to that, then I'll have to make some hard choices as to what I will keep and what I will dump. I won't be able to afford an additional blizzard of monthly bills from every Tom, Dick & Harry software company along with all the monthly bills I already have to deal with.

- David

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 19, 2014 at 7:00:24 pm

Here are my two cents:

I am watching to see what Blackmagic Design does with both Fusion (compositing software) and Resolve (color grading). I have been sitting on the fence deciding whether to migrate from FCP X to Resolve as an NLE as well.

For editing, and some finishing task FCP X does a very well job despite its mediocre keyframing. Easily a replacement for Premiere Pro. Along those same lines is the ability to create custom built effects, transitions and so on in Motion for later use in Final Cut Pro, very nice.

Resolve is an easy alternative to Speed Grade, workflow between it and FCP X is very straightforward. Now that Resolve has editing capabilities going to venture over to it for a rough cut, color grading but finish in FCP X, at least for now.

Should there be solid integration between Fusion and Resolve, may just completely go that route, keeping FCP X at the same time. This way I will at least have the ability to switch back, just in case and not limit myself to just one tool.

Might even use Fusion to process stills, eliminating the need for Photoshop entirely.

All of this could change for any number of reasons but for now this is the game plan.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:44:54 pm

Here's my 2 cents.

Everyone that hates CC just keep doing what you are doing. Best case scenario it will help foster alternatives to all of Adobe's products, it will force Adobe to keep improving it's products and it will have Adobe make changes to the CC service.

In the mean time, I'm going to continue with my CC subscription because I still find it beneficial. ;)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 20, 2014 at 8:26:53 pm

What might get me to switch over to Adobe would be something similar to what Avid offers. I have nothing personal against subscription only, just feel that options are limited with the current business model.

Ironically, did decide to subscribe to Red Giant Universe, price is right with the ability to go lifetime membership at a later time. One time purchase up front for the life of the product. In the event Adobe does something similar, I would gladly sign-up and rent other products on a as need basis. This would be benefit all, at least in my opinion.

Merry Christmas everyone, look both ways before crossing the street, never know when a reindeer will come your direction. ;-)

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:31:23 pm

I will echo Andrew. Love CC and happy with people from the outside pushing Adobe to do better.

But not only that, I have also converted my Microsoft office package to Office 365 and my accounts package is FreeAgent - all in the cloud, but all gives me the opportunity to continue the work elsewhere, should I choose to be unhappy.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]