FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic: Fusion 7 - (basic package released free)

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pettit
Black Magic: Fusion 7 - (basic package released free)
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:25:02 am

Black Magic continues to amaze me (cameras especially for example), getting increasingly encouraged that I'll have alternatives to AE when CS6 finally dies and I can leave Adobe in my rear view mirror:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

They are apparently releasing the basic version for free, with the Studio version for $995.00:

https://news.creativecow.net/story/877682

Some choice quotes from various articles:

"As Grant [Petty, Blackmagic CEO,] mentioned in the press release, visual effects software has been expensive for a long time, and Blackmagic Design looks to provide its customers up-front with the software they've already purchased, which is why Fusion 7 Studio is not subscription-based and has no plans to be," Blackmagic Design's Bob Caniglia, senior regional manager for eastern North America, told StudioDaily. "Just like DaVinci Resolve, customers can pay $995 for access to the full version of the software with no maintenance, subscription, connection, or per-node render license fees."

“Now, with the free version of Fusion, everyone from individual artists to the biggest studios can create Hollywood caliber visual effects and motion graphics! When combined with DaVinci Resolve Lite, customers can get the world’s most advanced tools for editing, grading, 3D compositing, visual effects and motion graphics, all absolutely free!”

I recognize that BM has thier own motivations, but I'm really glad to see this. I've never worked with Fusion, but as soon as work permits, I'll be diving in!

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
Re: Black Magic: Fusion 7 - (basic package released free)
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:29:34 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:30:47 am

BTW, this adds to my joy that C4D R16 (which I upgraded to without hesitation) now has native 3D camera Tracking. No more round trip AE workflow nightmares, less reason to care about AE/Cineware. One more reason to not need Adobe.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2014 at 2:14:04 am

Hey, thanks for the info, Chris. I just downloaded the user manual. I too may want to wrap my head around nodes and such.

Imagine that: a real manual. Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 11, 2014 at 2:51:03 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Nov 11, 2014 at 3:02:28 am

[Dave LaRonde] ". I too may want to wrap my head around nodes and such"

Myself as well, nodes would be a big change in how I work. But this excerpt from the website got my attention, particularly coming off a couple of weeks of the usual time consuming, eye blurring hassle with the fact that AE has NO LAYER FOLDERS or anything else of a similar nature to organize complex compositions except that tired old 'shy guy' icon:

"With Fusion, you don’t have to worry about confusing stacks of nested layers or pre-composed tracks. You’ll always be able to see exactly how images are being processed Using a node tree means all of your decision making is easy to see, so it’s simple to make adjustments or even hand off to another artist"

I'm not sure node-based compositions are for me yet, but you can bet I'm ready to give it a try, just to move on from dozens of un-organizable AE timeline layers.

Oh, and of course mandatory subscriptions. There's that part...

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:34:08 am

[Chris Pettit] "just to move on from dozens of un-organizable AE timeline layers."

If one is doing complex unorganizable AE comps then do you think node based compositing is going to be clean and organized?

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Nov 11, 2014 at 11:49:17 am

Fascinating! I'm really hoping this does all it proclaims, as I'm not keen on the whole rental scene. Guess this just may mean I can also move on over to FCPx. Sorry Adobe, 15 years but I just can't bring myself to rent. Wish you didn't do what you did...

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 11, 2014 at 2:19:12 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "If one is doing complex unorganizable AE comps then do you think node based compositing is going to be clean and organized?"

As I said, not sure nodes are for me yet, but how could it get worse?

I recently spent days working on compositions trying to learn how to use the DUIK IK character rig plugin, with a separate layer for each part of the character, a bone layer for every joint, and a series of 5 or 6 controller layers. Thats for one character. Add two more and suddenly I have 120 to 150 layers with lots of parenting and layer to layer relationships to work with and only the shy button and layer colors to try and keep from going crazy. And if I precomp each character, I spend all my time bouncing between multiple comps that are all part of the same relatively simple scene. Even Adobe Flash has layer folders for crying out loud.

But all of that is besides the point anyway. I never complained about some of the antiquated features in Adobe apps before, because on balance the good out weighed the bad, I felt good about the value prop. But now they want everyone to rent their software, take it or leave it, so these inefficiencies add the fatigue of dealing with Adobe overall. It adds up after a while.

I have no idea of Fusion will replace AE for me yet, but there is no question in my mind that Black Magic is beginning to offer serious alternatives. Hopefully there will be others as time goes on.

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Nov 12, 2014 at 9:13:23 pm
Last Edited By JP Pelc on Nov 12, 2014 at 9:15:01 pm

^ Tero's thoughts are exactly my thoughts. I would love to get a chance to do some real work with node-based software. For all I know it could be much better, but a composite with a hundred layers and effects is still going to be a composite with a hundred layers and effects. I don't believe nodes can do miracles

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:17:55 pm

[Chris Pettit] "
Myself as well, nodes would be a big change in how I work. But this excerpt from the website got my attention, particularly coming off a couple of weeks of the usual time consuming, eye blurring hassle with the fact that AE has NO LAYER FOLDERS or anything else of a similar nature to organize complex compositions except that tired old 'shy guy' icon:"

I honestly do not think that any node based compositor is the appropriate choice for motion graphics work. A layer based approach is generally the best way to go.

Motion will remain a part of my tool kit for now as will FCP X. One the headaches from After Effects is the pre-comp, they are there for a reason but a bit awkward to work with. Having to jump into a pre-comp to make changes then back to the main comp to see those changes gets a bit tiring for me. Much prefer how Motion goes about this. For me groups make way more sense, I can close or open a group at will all the while remaining in the main comp. Love the fact that any group can be placed inside another group.

For more complex green screen or compositing work, a node based compositor is the better choice. A bit easier to troubleshoot when something is not working and no need to dig through effects to find what you are looking for.

Motion and After Effects will both their place for reasons just outlined above. I hardly see Fusion as taking a big chunk of the market share from Adobe for those very same reasons. There is a time and place for everything. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 11, 2014 at 9:01:00 pm

[David Mathis] "ne the headaches from After Effects is the pre-comp, they are there for a reason but a bit awkward to work with. Having to jump into a pre-comp to make changes then back to the main comp to see those changes gets a bit tiring for me."

So you haven't used the "edit this look at that"-function? https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/etlat-edit-this-look-at-that-improve...

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:19:46 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I just downloaded the user manual."

Dave; I can't seem to find a link to the manual though I've searched using my best Google skills, are you able to post the link you used

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:31:36 pm

I don't have a link, but I went to their tech support section (I think that's what they called it), and from there to the downloads. It's pretty easy navigation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:18:26 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "support section (I think that's what they called it), and from there to the downloads. It's pretty easy navigation."

Perfect. Thanks Dave.

http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/Fusion/docs/Fusion_7_User_Manual_2014-...

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:39:44 am

Stunning, staggering, and brilliant! Only After Effects needed a replacement for me at this point, and Fusion will fit that bill nicely. I already replaced all the rest in the last two years.

Bye bye, Adobe! After almost two decades of using Adobe software, I can finally say goodbye to Adobe for my entire workflow.

Thanks for all the fish!

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Adam Hain
on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:34:49 pm

So what did you decide on to replace photoshop and illustrator? I know there are several options, just curious.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:44:04 pm

[Adam Hain] "So what did you decide on to replace photoshop and illustrator? I know there are several options, just curious."

I have the Photoshop subscription, for now. I never used Illustrator.
As for touching up or adding style to a single shot (scene) my preference is to use Fusion. One thing I noticed, is they have some background stuff and even lens flare in the free version. They just released another beta version of 8 today. Resolve is now out of beta, exciting times ahead.

Return to posts index

Adam Hain
on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:46:58 pm

Great thanks. Yes it is pretty amazing that these are being released for free!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 11, 2015 at 6:44:05 pm

I would like to see additional OFX support for the Studio version. Some support for Boris or Red Giant Universe would be very welcome.

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on Nov 11, 2014 at 9:40:50 am

WOW absulutely amazing!

I am used to node workflows, but till now didn't dare to switch to fusion... first because of the investment second because of the good integration of after effects into premiere.

the first point is done - even a thousand bucks is peanuts, with the posibility to learn and work with it for free (not just for 30 days).

and the second ... well after effects has a lot of downsites for me. besides slow preview and the lack of beeing able to change many settings at once (feels like a thousand years ago) one of the biggest factors is CC. I will not buy in!

with this blackmagic starts to rip adobe apart. like adobe did it once with quark. and they are to vain to recognice it.

black magic now stated to be the competitor, that takes atwantage of adobes greed.

2 ct.
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts
http://www.floriansepp.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:29:43 pm

[Florian Sepp] "with this blackmagic starts to rip adobe apart. like adobe did it once with quark. and they are to vain to recognice it."

Yep, exactly how everyone has switched over to Resolve now for their NLE.

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:58:44 pm

[Gary Huff] "Yep, exactly how everyone has switched over to Resolve now for their NLE."

I am not into NLE but I am in Compositing... espetcially for 3d footage... we will see what impact it has in two to three years.... we will see.

Florian Sepp visual arts
http://www.floriansepp.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Mathai
on Nov 12, 2014 at 2:38:35 am

Who is switching to Resolve for editing? I haven't seen any trend, just speculation.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2014 at 2:49:54 am

Well, I just looked at the feature set for Resolve Lite, and I'm considering checking it out. I normally do lightweight, non-complicated anyway, so it could be a viable alternative to Adobe for me.

Currently I run Avid at work. Ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Conrad Hughes
on Dec 24, 2014 at 3:23:16 pm

I have for about 80% of my editing work. I color it all anyway, and I realized that with Resolve 11 I didn't need many more of the features in PremPro, especially with a few handpicked OFX plugins.

http://www.conradhughes.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:57:25 pm

[Florian Sepp]: "...with this blackmagic starts to rip adobe apart. like adobe did it once with quark. and they are to vain to recognice it.

black magic now stated to be the competitor..."

Indeed! Competition! A radical concept! It will certainly be interesting to watch how Fusion fares against After Effects. The more I think about it, the more eager I am to download the free version and check it out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:08:18 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:05:51 am

[Dave LaRonde] "Indeed! Competition! A radical concept! It will certainly be interesting to watch how Fusion fares against After Effects. The more I think about it, the more eager I am to download the free version and check it out."

Same here, when it becomes (not a matter of if) available for the Mac platform. Should the next version of Resolve improve in playback performance and some additional editing features, I would consider Resolve as an NLE as well. For now, FCP X and Motion does a pretty darn good job.

* EDIT *

Strongly considering using Fusion to process still images as well. Something like doing a sky replacement, for example. Nodes appear to be a much more powerful and flexible approach for this type of work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]