FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why isn´t there a Super-Hero

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Schubert
Why isn´t there a Super-Hero
on Nov 6, 2014 at 4:04:02 pm

…stoping this Renting-BS.
Got a survey yesterday from Maxon (Cinema 4D).
One of the questions was, if I´m interested in renting Cinema.
Clearlly "No".
If they would change their distribution - like Adobe did with a NoBuyOut-PayForever-WallStreetfriendly-Binding-Strategy - I would also have to leave my most loved application.
Sounds not good. Indeed. Like the same dark, bad weather clouds.
I want to be sure, that I can open & use my work.
(If necessary with old Versions of Application. New versions - espec. at Adobe often killed old functions)
I don´t spend any money for that use when I decide to change my software.
As long as there is a way.

BtW…
The never ending (nearby 2 yrs. for "…only for a short time") discount price for this so called "cloud" gets cheaper and cheaper (36 €/mth for CS-users today) here in Germany.
Seems Adobe is in trouble, to show WallStreet (Next bus. conf in December) enough subscribers.
Enough users, which are aggressively moved into this "Cloud" named distribution model.

Wonder why WallStreet is so enthusiastic about a company, whose income slows down…
Not only Amazon-stars tell me, it´s nothing, we (have to) like.

I wonder why so many people get on these clouds. Really.

A company, who is trying to bring in new features in matured Apps.
Read an article, that they want to concentrate on moving their Apps to mobile.
Huh? Anyone here, who wants to do professional image-/video-editing on smartphones or tablets?
Non calibrated screens and underdimensioned hardware?
With fat fingers?
Sounds more like panic than professional.
Why not a mobile Version of Photoshop? Let´s say "Photoshop unprofessional"
"Cloud" "Mobile"… Hype. Nothing else.

I really wish, there would be a Super-Hero.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Why isn´t there a Super-Hero
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:54:00 pm

sure isn't the thing that wall street has been say giving amazon a free ride with bugger all profits for what seems an eternity now - although the stock has taken hits lately - because they buy the basic plan? Adobe is no Amazon, but by the sounds of the investor notes, wall street is inclined to give adobe quite a lot of string. Yay.

As you say, it's going to be super interesting to see what the next set of subscriber numbers are, they're ahead by a bit at the minute right? I do wonder when they hit the harder layer of holdouts - if that's there - you'd think it has to be pretty soon. They've already done a ton of carrot for the PS people. You wonder if they'd bite the bullet and start to break the suite back down into cheaper sub offering like prod. premium. that seems to be the only big lever left they can push to kickstart things if subscriptions stall.

For my sins, I'm now up to my neck in adobe apps, and I've developed a serious taste for lightroom. I've moved all my photography into it. I mess around in it all the time. for dedicated dodging and burning and adjustment it's much nicer than PS. It's a great app and the ipad version works really well. The iphone version I've set to flow all new iphone photography to the desktop lightroom through the cloud.

they're answering the cloud part of the suite a lot better lately. The iphone brush creator tool is a crazy little app and the ipad drawing and vector apps are actually pretty sweet. Scribbling mad stuff onto your photos is a nice way to pass the time.

I still super duper disagree pretty profoundly with the model, but they're kind of working their tails off to make the cloud element look and feel a lot more legitimate. Because I'm not going to lie: I got quite a sugar rush off all those new iOS apps. Oh traitor me....

you'd think there is roughly a snowballs chance they would strike the entire CC structure and go back to selling discreet software - but if there's any superhero out there Ranier, you'd think its the next 2 million subscribers who don't take the bait (or don't any time soon) which might force adobe to restructure the offering. I still don't know why they never considered the 4 year loyalty software archive. Given it would be dumb software and you would lose all cloud interoperability, the iOS apps would be gone, ppro user sign ins, library handling, and god knows what else they come up with over the next few years, the archive would largely be good faith emotional reassurance in the end of the day. And that isn't taking into account what happens regarding the CC SDK for other apps to plug in.

If they stated it now, the archive, in whatever shape they choose to give it, wouldn't arrive until 2018, by which point they would have had the next four years to make the cloud superstructure functionally indispensable?

I dunno - that actually sounds half way plausible?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Nov 7, 2014 at 12:26:58 am

Aindreas, it seems, you are not the Super Hero I dreamed of last night. Sigh.

I don´t think, I have knowledge enough to comment the amount of subscribers.
But it seems, they should have more of them. And also their income is somewhat else than good.
Wonder if they made their math with that long lasting discounts. With that hard resistance.
And no, I don´t think, they break down the "Take all or nothing" philosophy (into Suites).
If so, they can never reach their financial targets. They need all the Full paying members. It´s part of the plan.
I bet they will establish incompatibilities. Now, that they have most enterprises on board.
Bet they try to catch the smaler and dependend ones by price.
No longer supported OS and so on. It´s just not easy to open and use CC files already.
No, - even if I hope - I don´t think a Super Hero will come.
After all - compared to some competitors - their WallStreet results are not that overwhelming.
But I don´t care whatever Adobe will be or do in the future any longer.
What really drives me crazy, it´s the fact that there are others to follow.

Commenting your Adobe Marketing (hehe - I like punishin your betrayel >:):
I don´t know, what kind of work you are doing with your photos. For private imaging, killing time, doing mad stuff and so on… Yes, the mobiles may be/are really funny. But for professional work?
Lightroom is Ok for Hobbyists, and also faster and more easy to handle for some basic professional work. Right. But if it comes to higher requirements (retouching, color correction, working with tons of layers or chanels, pathes….) - No way in my eyes.

The IOS apps may make sense for some freaky, family, funny stuff - but do you would really tell me, you use it for making money with? May be I´m not uptoDate, as I don´t use this Cloud & try to avoid Adobe where ever I can.

All these mobile Candy is a total different product-group than professional SW and shouldn´t be married with.
I really don´t know any professional who´s using Tablets for Graphic, Photo, Video or 3D. Nor anyone who wants to do so.

The Cloud element? Do you mean synchronizing or what? Cloud computing makes only sense (in my eyes), if we have a infrastructure, where you can handle very big data extremely fast (Far away from today, and far away from 2018). Also only for Duties, which really depend on Hardcore-Computers (Like 3D Rendering or some parts of rendering Video out, Scientific work & NSA). As long as the main-Applications are running local (and have to run local in lack of infrastructure), THIS "Cloud" isn´t worth the name. Is Hype. Is Gimmick.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 6, 2014 at 10:30:03 pm

> Read an article, that they want to concentrate on moving their Apps to mobile.
Huh? Anyone here, who wants to do professional image-/video-editing on smartphones or tablets?

That is not at all what we're proposing.

We have a variety of new "capture" applications that run on mobile devices that take advantage of what these devices do well (e.g., Adobe Shape, which lets you take a picture with your phone and create a vector representation of the image), but you still have Illustrator on your general-purpose computer for the nitty-gritty professional design work... and now you have these assets in your Design Library in Illustrator that you just captured.

And in some cases, we may have simple applications that run on mobile devices but rely on server-side processing by workhorses like After Effects behind the scenes.

Anyone who is saying that we are trying to de-professionalize our professional applications by moving them to underpowered mobile devices is misunderstanding what we're actually doing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Nov 7, 2014 at 12:11:26 am

[Todd Kopriva] "Anyone who is saying that we are trying to de-professionalize our professional applications by moving them to underpowered mobile devices is misunderstanding what we're actually doing."

I'm pretty sure no one alive is saying that. I think everyone recognises the french pastries adobe just handed out on iOS. I started on PS 2.5 - I've never played with brush creation like I did recently.

[Todd Kopriva] "we may have simple applications that run on mobile devices but rely on server-side processing by workhorses like After Effects behind the scenes."

referencing AE is quite the JJ mystery box tease - but you can't just keep making this a future wonderland - you could hit a wall.
you surely have to arrive at an honest basic compact that allows some level of clarity and buy in.

unless your future subscriber numbers are minted gold.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Nov 7, 2014 at 1:21:35 am

No, Sorry, I didn´t want to say, it´s all Adobe´s proposing (They are proposing a lot).

But - like most of that mobile stuff - the Illustrator/Shape-Example you gave isn´t any more than a "Nice to have" in my eyes.
Nothing against it. But also nothing I can´t create with other workarounds. Nothing I can´t live without.
For me it seems, that it´s very hard to find real new features for the main applications.
(And I wonder what great Updates will come next years - Can´t see it for Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop… since CS = CC, NoChoice-Ware)
And now Adobe is trying to find new fields.
These Mobile CC Apps are like all the other App stores stuff. See it. Download. Use for a short while. Finding no practical use. Never open again.
But delivering Gimmicks like that is different from what I understood as "fast delivered updates".
These Apps are a different kind of product group. More for mass/home user markets than professional work in my eyes.
Pairing them with main-Apps more Marketing than Advantage.
And most of them are very hard and extremly time-taking to use & I can´t imagine using them in my professional daily work.
But maybe I´m wrong and others find them useful.

But btw. what about making Photoshop a 3D Print-out Tool, for Example?
Why over-up-down-sizing Apps that are already mighty & mature. Made for total different requirements.
Than creating a Tool for exact that requirement.
Only, because of the (now existing) necessity of new features?

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Nov 7, 2014 at 9:35:15 am

That's what the current consumerist society offers us: quick sound bites, quick and easily digestible little apps, the latest, the greatest, newest toys that last a month, and interest wanes.

Gotta get that new rush of adrenaline, the newest phone, quick: take a selfie! Is my bum big? Is my face okay looking today? What is the latest? Where do I get it? Who is wearing it?

Yeah! Adobe offers me all this new app candy! Gotta get a subscription - or I'll be the out-crowd. Must update to the newest thang - hardware, software, food, clothing, jewellery - oh wow! Wearable iWatch - must get it - on credit, of course, who cares about money, money is there to get me material stuff that makes me feel gooooood - for a day or two, at least. The hell to the environment - satisfy ME! Don't allow or force me to THINK - bring it on! Provide for me!

Welcome to the new age: digital serfdom with a consumerist tinge of pink. Oh, the irony.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Nov 7, 2014 at 6:51:43 pm

Well, the way I see it, is that subscription software is not for every company offering software, most of us complaining about Adobe's offering started to see some value after comparing it with what other vendors are offering, look at Media Composer, just an NLE for the same price, Autodesk Smoke for $175/month.
But also, people who buy into a subscription package usually tend not to subscribe to others, and that's where Adobe strategy is paying off, they were the first and they're offering the most. I doubt other subscription packages will be as successful, yes, they're all trying to do what's being proven successful, and I suppose it may be worth a try to them, but the customer's pool is getting more limited.

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:11:22 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "Anyone who is saying that we are trying to de-professionalize our professional applications by moving them to underpowered mobile devices is misunderstanding what we're actually doing."

well... and unfortunately adobe is misunderstanding my motivations to buy into CC.

by the way I nowerdays make pure 2d animation stuff in cinema 4d if possible ... just because the editor view is fluent. i really cant enjoy work with after effects anymore. AE comps play back better in premiere than in after effects itself. or change multible comp settings like size... did they change it in CC? this software feels like a dinosaur to me.
there would be so many improvements that i would reward with a updated CS ! version. but hey.... misunderstanding is everywere

best regards
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts
http://www.floriansepp.com

Return to posts index

Billy Payn
on Nov 15, 2014 at 1:15:20 pm

Maybe there is a Super-Hero. Black Magic Design.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]