FORUMS: list search recent posts

This is an Apple user rant

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory David
This is an Apple user rant
on Nov 1, 2014 at 11:44:15 pm

Bailed on FCP two years ago, been using Pr for two years, it's worked for me, but what's going on now is just unacceptable. I have run into problem after problem, especially using UHD footage (Gh4). I started editing on a Mac using Avid in 1988, so I have had my fill of crashing and rebooting. It's clear to me that I either have to switch to a PC to use Pr or abandon it. I'm in the mind to abandon. Adobe's refusal to optimize their software for use on a Mac is a deal breaker. No more $$$ out the window to work on software that I would have to back ten years to find a situation that is is this unstable. It's a shame as the product has become pretty good, but there are some hard asses in these companies who do not have the interest of those who put money in their pockets at heart.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: This is an Apple user rant
on Nov 2, 2014 at 1:00:26 am

[Gregory David] "Adobe's refusal to optimize their software for use on a Mac is a deal breaker."

Not sure why you are having issues. At this moment, I find Premiere CC 2014 to be a bit more stable than FCPX. Is that the version of Premiere that you are using?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Nov 2, 2014 at 2:21:26 am

[Gregory David] "Adobe's refusal to optimize their software for use on a Mac is a deal breaker."

I'm running 5 different Mac's with CC 2014 on it and have little to no problems with it - 2008, 2009, and 2012 Mac Pro's, along with a 2014 iMac....all work well for me. I'm planning on adding a trash can Mac Pro, 5K iMac and some MacBook Pro's into the mix over the next 6 months as well.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 2, 2014 at 4:52:14 pm

> Adobe's refusal to optimize their software for use on a Mac is a deal breaker.

Please, explain what you mean by this.

From my perspective, it looks like we spend a lot of time on exactly this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Gregory David
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:36:04 pm

Hello Todd,

I have dealt with my work and partially my computer problems and have time to discuss the issue in depth. Turns out I had a failing logic board. I was experiencing a number of symptoms, the worst of which were crashes which locked up the computer and required a hard boot. So my rant was out of frustration and I made the mistake of laying all the blame on Adobe’s doorstep, for which I apologize. However significant issues remain. See below please.

This is an early 2013 2.7 ghz macbook pro with 16gb ram, 11 assigned to Pr, running on Cuda.

The computer has been repaired and I am back up on a clean install of Yosemite. The Cuda driver is 6.5.18. Permissions are correct. All software is newly installed. Business and personal files were installed manually. The repair fixed the multiple crashes, and the clean install fixed a couple of minor OS items, but that’s about it.

ISSUE

1) Video is lost in the program monitor when changing effect settings, editing - just about anything will make it happen. Sometimes if I match back to the source monitor I get video, however the program side remains black and a restart of Pr is required. I can also restore the video by switching to software only and back to Cuda again. Of course I lose preview files when doing this.

This mostly occurs when using over raster source. I am editing GH4 UHD files in a 1080 timeline. Graphics are oversized too occasionally, but not by much. I use ProRes lite for renders.

2) I also get a lot of graphic card tear up and breakup of overlays - like if I open mail over Pr. and the screen takes a hit when I open an close Pr. This is not crashing the computer.

Other Info

1) while my computer was being repaired I used a brand new macbook pro (restored system from time machine)and I had the same issues with it.

2) After opening sequences for the fist time in the the newly installed Pr, I got a prompt saying that the timeline was using unsupported plugins and would be set to default. I was not doing that at all though. After seeing this I removed all effects in all of the sequences that were created before the rebuild and clean install, and redid them.

This issue is frustrating and is costing me a lot time I don’t have to waste. Hopefully someone can help me trouble shoot the issue.

Thanks,

Gregory David

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:35:02 am

You know I'm no giant Premier fan, but lets be fair here. Before you ascribe this to the software, I think you need to be pretty sure that whatever's happening to you isn't due to something like some poorly coded plug-ins or a bad stick of memory or one of the hundreds of other things that can make a computer act screwy.

When you've truly checked out the other things and KNOW it's an Adobe problem, that's one thing. The assumption that it's one is kinda iffy, IMO.

I hate it when people say X doesn't work and it turns out what actually didn't work was some crappy plug in.conflict that had nothing to do with Apple.

Lets be fair and allow Adobe to be judged by the same standard.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Gregory David
on Nov 3, 2014 at 5:12:10 am

I read the replies to my rant and it's clear that I should have waited until I really could pin down the issues I am having, I have fallen into the trap that I have watched so many others do in the past. So I am apologetic about spouting off like that, and I am encouraged to hear about positive experiences with the software on the Apple platform. I am very tired and I don't have the time to detail the problems that plague my experience. I will repost in a week or two and detail the problems.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:07:59 pm

[Gregory David] "I will repost in a week or two and detail the problems."

I don't think the problems are as necessary to know as what you have installed. What OS are you on? What version of Premiere? What third-party plugins do you have installed? When was the last time that your version of OSX was installed on a freshly wiped internal drive? How much RAM do you have and how many apps do you have running at once? (i.e. do you open Premiere, Media Encoder, After Effects, Photoshop, and others open at the same time on a 4 or 8GB machine?)

I have seen OSX installations that have remained in place for, essentially, the entire lifetime of the unit (for a 2010 Mac Pro for instance, that's an incredibly long time). With upgrades performed over top of existing installations, old versions of third-party plugins that were from the CS4-era, and a massive amount of background apps that are simply left running for days on end because the user never bothers to close them.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Nov 3, 2014 at 9:02:28 pm

Yeah, there's so many parts in play here. Try to nail it down.

I had the exact opposite experience when I moved from CS5.5 on a HP Workstation (dual Xeons/32 gig of ram/Quadro 2GB) to CS5.5 on a Macbook Pro. Seriously, "So that's how Dynamic Link is supposed to work!"

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:05:15 pm

Here's my mac ritual when things go kaflooey

1 - run the excellent third party pro maintainance tools
2 - repair permissions
3 - restart Premiere and see if that works
----

if not - trash your render files restart and see if that works

if all else fails - do all of the above - and use ONYX to clean all the other debris..then restart...

this seems to get everything back in clean working shape every time

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 4, 2014 at 3:17:08 am

Andy,
I would also add the following: please make sure your Adobe folders have your permissions set correctly. This causes a lot of issues caused by updating OS X to new versions of the OS.

More here: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

Also, editing 4K footage is no joke. An underpowered computer might have trouble so it would be nice to know specifics of the system. I find that most customers having trouble editing 4K have underpowered systems.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:23:05 pm

And I have now seen resetting prefs as a solution for problems I have been seeing.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:26:16 pm

Any time that you are going to try to reset your preferences to get past an issue, zip up the problematic preferences files into a file and let us know in a bug report that you have this set of files to provide. Getting corrupt/problematic preference files attached to bugs really helps us to find the root cause of the problem.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:45:48 pm

Thanks Todd! That is a good idea.

Lance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]