FORUMS: list search recent posts

For Creatives who want the editing power of Photoshop or Premiere but doesn't want CC subscription

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mads Nybo Jørgensen
For Creatives who want the editing power of Photoshop or Premiere but doesn't want CC subscription
on Sep 25, 2014 at 9:53:19 am
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on Sep 25, 2014 at 9:55:34 am

I am already regretting this post as I am writing the first line, however this Mashable article sighted by Digital Media Wire raises a few interesting points for those who does not want CC:

http://mashable.com/2014/09/24/adobe-photoshop-elements-13/

"For creatives who want the editing power of Adobe Photoshop or Premiere but don't want to pay for a Creative Cloud subscription, the company's Elements line offers many of the features of its two flagships, but without the obligation of a subscription.

Both Elements applications were updated Wednesday with new effects and editing tools and for feature-specific tutorials, added effects and a new live hub."

Yes, it is unlikely to have the same power as a CC product, but why should it? However, it is interesting that the marketing department of Adobe are pushing it as a near alternative, rather than a pro-sumer product - I would love to see their research and how they got to the decision on that strategy.

At a bundle price of $149.99 it certainly has disruptive value to a large group of users who are more interested in producing quick results than the "Bells and Whistles" approach by high-end professionals. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried Elements and no intention to either, as I am a very happy CC user)

Let the discussion flow :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: For Creatives who want the editing power of Photoshop or Premiere but doesn't want CC subscription
on Sep 25, 2014 at 4:25:38 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Yes, it is unlikely to have the same power as a CC product, but why should it? However, it is interesting that the marketing department of Adobe are pushing it as a near alternative, rather than a pro-sumer product - I would love to see their research and how they got to the decision on that strategy."

That is a very interesting take and very curious to see what direction Adobe is taking. Of course, there are plenty of alternatives out there, including Acorn. Many of them are gaining support and ground. Just wondering if this is why Adobe is going with this marketing strategy. My thoughts and two cents, whatever they are worth.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: For Creatives who want the editing power of Photoshop or Premiere but doesn't want CC subscription
on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:32:58 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "(Disclaimer: I haven't tried Elements and no intention to either, as I am a very happy CC user)"

Same here.

You could also say the same thing about the free versions of iMovie and iPhoto though could you not? This isn't free, but I'm sure it is restrained in similar ways.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Sep 26, 2014 at 5:30:46 pm

Hey Gary,

[Gary Huff] "You could also say the same thing about the free versions of iMovie and iPhoto though could you not?"

True. However, they are both Apple centric and IMHO they do not have the same brand value as Premiere Pro and Photoshop. So for a pro-sumer; the price of $150 will be very attractive, when the anchoring price of the (PRO) CC version is $50/month it will be very interesting to see their sales up against Apple's offerings.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Sep 30, 2014 at 4:51:10 am

Anyone wishing to open up advanced image editing features (hidden behind Photoshop Elements' simplified GUI) may want to have a look at this:

http://thepluginsite.com/products/elementsxxl/

Although the 16bpc support is a bit of a hack (saving 16bpc data in an 8bpc layer).

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:27:28 pm

I've only used Elements one time, and it was Photoshop. It was terrible, extremely limited, and nothing like real photoshop. The switch from PS to PS Elements would be more difficult than the switch from PS to Gimp from what I can tell. I imagine Premiere would be just as limited. I don't see it making any dent in CC sales

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]