FORUMS: list search recent posts

adobe web tools and subscription

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
adobe web tools and subscription
on Aug 22, 2014 at 9:03:50 pm

there's a chunk from Herbert below that reads very similar to a lot of stuff out there for some time, some I've heard myself:

I left Adobe's web tools a long time ago. Dreamweaver cannot compete with the likes of Netbeans, Macaw, and other tools. Muse is a joke (in my professional opinion). Flash I replaced with other tools such as Anime Studio for 2d character animation. I switched to html5/javascript to cater for web interactivity and casual games development.

One of the things I like about my new suite of tools is the part open source software plays - it's quite refreshing to be able to use free and open applications instead of closed and expensive ones. The communities have also been very friendly and inviting. Mind, I chose those open source tools because they fit very well in my current workflow, not because they are free. Blender is exceptionally powerful, as is Krita.

Old argument: Adobe are more or less creating a redoubt in the remaining parts of the suite under subscription. Photoshop, AE and the print tools are pretty much their Sports Subscription bulwark for the remaining walled garden.

there is a thing about how half blown away they have been online in tool usage though: the point is as old as the hills, but adobe probably wouldn't be this bunkered in if they hadn't so catastrophically mis-read the web with their focus on flash. At one point, you'd think they thought they had the infinity gauntlet with flash, god knows they bought macromedia for it, and not freehand.

Sports broadcasters are very good at tending to the notion of value in an overpriced subscription. They bend every last sinew to make all parts of the package as premium as they can. The effort internally is truly honest, and the service is strong, but it is all engineered to sugar increasingly large subscription pills.

In a sense the broadcast equivalent glitz and glamour in an adobe subscription is the full court press of subscriber attention they visibly give I think. They are defending a set of remaining software monopolies into locked subscription with everything they have. because they're pretty comfortably sure none of the parties tearing up their online tools in the quote above are coming to save anyone from adobe's remaining video mograph print monopolies. we are their retreat.

so yay the old song - as an american corporation stepping onto the escalator of a rather seriously trapped subscriber clientele - the cost, God just informed me, is going to arc away from inflation like a medium paced arrow over the decade. Unless the corporation turns out to be Amish.

But the production values will be sterling all the way.

because we've all pretty much got a sports channel subscription.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
Re: adobe web tools and subscription
on Aug 24, 2014 at 6:10:26 pm

I love the way you understand the english language. Precisely…

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]