FORUMS: list search recent posts

CC screwed me this weekend. Sigh.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
CC screwed me this weekend. Sigh.
on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:47:13 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:49:15 am

Last month I wanted to explore Lightroom 5 (I own 4) but since my copy was from the Apple App store, I knew I couldn't upgrade that so I downloaded the free trial to check out the new features. So far so good.

I had snapped some Sony Alpha A7s low light photos in the desert last Wed night and wanted to work with them. And I have a shoot coming up and wanted to understand the practical ramifications of having ISO 400,000+ available for the first time.

So with a project that could benefit from Photoshop and Lightroom - against my instincts, I figured I'd go ahead and pay the $9.95 and open a CC account to get the intro deal for a while. (Yes I know many here already knows I hate the idea of rental software. But I like getting work done for my clients MORE.)

So I gritted my teeth and opened a CC account - put in a credit card. And waited.

This was Thursday the 7th.

It's Saturday night and I'm still waiting.

My credit card shows the charge still "pending" after 72 hours. My trial period is over. I can't open either version and do anything.

Nothing will launch without the "pay to rent me" ad. But I've already DONE that.

I finally used the Adobe on-line help chat, and someone named Kabir indicated:

"We're sorry, but Adobe.com and and related services are experiencing system maintenance (Friday, August 8 4pm PST through Sunday, August 10, 12 noon PST as our IT/Web team is working on this."

I thought about asking why a Friday outage seems to have screwed up a credit card purchase I made a full day before - but I just don't have the energy to fight it.

So I've spent the weekend largely reading a novell instead of getting my work started.

Perhaps I can get back to work on Sunday afternoon? I sure hope so.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: CC screwed me this weekend. Sigh.
on Aug 10, 2014 at 1:39:15 pm

Ahhh...CC on the weekend. It's an adventure!

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 10, 2014 at 4:17:08 pm

In the event I should ever encounter something like this I would keep an eye on my credit card account just to make sure that all is good and the same transaction did not hit my account multiple times.

This did happen a few years ago with an online purchase I made with another business. The same transaction went through three times, American Express caught one of them and took care of it. I called and thankfully within a few minutes the other transaction was taken care of. This was before you were able to view your account and make payments online. Just took a look at the paper statement and caught it.

I am curious to know how routine maintenance could mess up a purchase like this. This is why I am reluctant and refuse to go subscription only. That and how expensive it can be over the long term.

Having said that, I have subscribed to Red Giant Universe and so far everything is good. I cancel my subscription or upgrade to annual or even a lifetime membership, meaning no more monthly or annual subscription dues. I like choice and like to have control. To me subscription only offers neither. My two cents, whatever it is worth.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 10, 2014 at 9:03:49 pm

[David Mathis] "I like choice and like to have control. To me subscription only offers neither. My two cents, whatever it is worth."

Wise words, David.

Bill, sorry you got bitten. A least you were lucky and only getting started. Imagine missing an important deadline because of an outage like this, right?

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 11, 2014 at 12:17:54 am

[David Lawrence] "Imagine missing an important deadline because of an outage like this, right?"

Which could happen to anyone for anything.

Such as a plugin that you need to remove the watermark on to render out on a deadline. It's not a subscription-based plugin, but their back-end that handles transactions goes down for maintenance over the weekend.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 11, 2014 at 8:14:19 am

Wait. Are you saying that this is a regular thing?

Yikes.

And Gary, if it's just regular maintenance, why did it affect my Thursday purchase at all? The Adobe tech support message said the maintenance downtime started on Friday. It takes just seconds to clear a credit card charge. One would think I would have the email password or whatever they auto send out to new subscribers 10 min after my order went in.

I checked my inboxes at 10pm tonight. No Adobe email.

I'll try tomorrow morning again.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:04:07 am

[Bill Davis] "Wait. Are you saying that this is a regular thing? Yikes."

It's not a regular thing. I've been using Creative Cloud since its re-launch two years ago with zero interruptions (including the Great Outage of '14 back in May which didn't affect my ability to use the desktop apps).

[Bill Davis] "It takes just seconds to clear a credit card charge. One would think I would have the email password or whatever they auto send out to new subscribers 10 min after my order went in."

Yes, one would think! Is it possible that your credit card company blocked the charge? I've had Amex do this when they suspect a charge might be fraudulent.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Aug 11, 2014 at 8:20:08 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kay on Aug 11, 2014 at 8:23:45 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Yes, one would think! Is it possible that your credit card company blocked the charge? I've had Amex do this when they suspect a charge might be fraudulent."

If you were Bill's credit card company and saw a charge for Adobe Cloud wouldn't you immediately think it was fraudulent?

Had to make that jab. But joking aside I would think that this[delay in processing] is most likely an issue with the credit card company rather than Adobe. I do hate the idea of rental software and think that no longer offering traditional licences is moronic (from a business profit standpoint, not from an end user or customer satisfaction standpoint), but I've been subscribed to the cloud since shortly after its release and I've just not experienced any outages (which of course provides no benefit to someone that actually is experiencing them. I have had vastly more problems with my credit card company delaying, declining, and putting a hold on my card than I care to think about. One in particular I was getting a new workstation, so I specifically called them up beforehand to let them know about the charge, the vendor, the exact amount and only after being assured everything was fine did I finish the transaction. Which of course failed, put a hold on the account, and resulted in nearly a week delay as well as nearly 10 hours on the phone with customer support for both parties.

The maintenance on Adobe's side is horrible timing (of course if Bill ever tried CC fates would decree that it would have to be at such a time), but the delay in processing is just too likely to be on the credit card company's end.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:03:46 pm

[Bill Davis] "Wait. Are you saying that this is a regular thing?"

[Walter Soyka] "t's not a regular thing. I've been using Creative Cloud since its re-launch two years ago with zero interruptions (including the Great Outage of '14 back in May which didn't affect my ability to use the desktop apps)."

I second Walter's comment. I've been on CC for about 1.5 years without problems (including "The Great Outage of '14). I've even moved my membership from a month-to-month payment to a pay for the year in whole model without any great trouble.

Sorry you got caught in a maintenance window. Hopefully the novel you read was good!

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:44:05 pm

Bill,
We announced about the outage last week. Sorry you didn't get the message. If you're not up an running by later today, contact me and I'll make sure to help you out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:19:38 pm

First, as others have said, it's not a regular thing. I'm coming up on the end of my second year using CC and I've never had a problem. I'm also just finished a 9 month long project where we had up to half a dozen people using CC and we never experienced any downtime.

With that being said, I'm currently having my own activation problem but it's with Avid, not Adobe. I'm currently locked out of my copy of MC 5.5. It's for one seat but I have it installed on my laptop and desktop and just activate/deactivate as needed. Unfortunately right now both machines give me the error that Avid can't launch because it's already activated on another machine. Activation/deactivation is typically done from within Avid but I can't launch Avid so... I logged into my account on Avid.com and it doesn't show any record of owning any Avid products (even though MC keeps telling me my version of Avid is registered right before it tells me I'm locked out because this license is already activated).

So now I'm off to phone support.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 11, 2014 at 7:49:26 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I'm currently locked out of my copy of MC 5.5."

Media Composer 5.5 is only available via perpetual license, yes?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 11, 2014 at 7:53:36 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Media Composer 5.5 is only available via perpetual license, yes?"

Oh snap! I see where you're going with this Walter...! :-)

And yes, it was only available via perpetual license, but each license has to be activated with the Avid server. Otherwise, you get locked out of the app even if you've paid for it. And like Andrew is doing you could activate/deactivate to your hearts content. I remember always having to deactivate a copy when reinstalling or else I was calling Avid Tech support to reset my activation count.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 11, 2014 at 9:08:28 pm

1:44 pm Monday.

Still dead.

The next extremely polite and diligent Adobe on-line offshore help desk dude (Sanyogita) tried to find any trace of my existence - and pretty much failed.

No sign of the product I paid for.

So I'm down to trying to re-re-subscribe - then deal with the bank for a refund of the original. (won't THAT be fun!)

I understand that Adobe is a big worldwide operation. And that stuff happens. And it's just a petty bump in life.

The more interesting lesson for me appears to be my last few days trying to resolve which "ID" the computers require in order for me to do continuing business with them. Everyone I've talked to has had to look up my records, and it's been a twisty and unsatisfying process.

On the Adobe side, I can open my new Creative Cloud menu bar icon and find the purchases I downloaded (tho they don't launch or work.) And under that email addy, it shows my CC Trial signup - (and even shows my Flash purchase from 2006!) but not the new purchase, even tho I used the update to paid CC from that link.

It also cross references another ID I use for public stuff. So it seems they have a link in their system.

Yet, when I was dealing with support - all this stuff appears to be inaccessible.

Modern large cross department computing in a global operation is kinda a mess if my last 96 hours is an indication.

On one hand, I envy those of you with subscription links in place - you're stuck paying forever, but at least once you subscribe, you have a reasonable expectation that things will continue to work.

If you get OUT of the system. I'm learning it can be a bit challenging to get back in should you want or need to.

I'm now wondering if part of my issue is that I had a Photoshop CC account once, but dumped it? So I wonder if that "poisoned" that ID for me?

All I want to do is just edit some damned photos.

I know I'll get there eventually. And appreciate the nice folks at Adobe who are legitimately trying to help me.

But it's frustrating.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:40:29 pm

[Walter Soyka] "
Media Composer 5.5 is only available via perpetual license, yes?
"

Yup. But 5 min on the phone with Avid and all is good (they reset it on their end).

[Bill Davis] "I'm now wondering if part of my issue is that I had a Photoshop CC account once, but dumped it? So I wonder if that "poisoned" that ID for me?"

Not just Adobe, but in general it seems like more and more software requires an account for purchase/activation and that just adds another layer of potential screw up. Sure, there's some upside in terms of convenience (like iTunes remembering all the songs your purchased from the iTMS) but it's not w/o a cost somewhere else. There's still no such thing as a free lunch.

[Bill Davis] "I know I'll get there eventually. And appreciate the nice folks at Adobe who are legitimately trying to help me.

But it's frustrating."

I can totally relate to your frustration and the fact that it works for others isn't much of a comfort if it doesn't work for you.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Aug 12, 2014 at 1:38:00 am

But you know, having a problem with some photo editing software activations and having a video Product Manager jump in to offer help is still pretty cool.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 12, 2014 at 2:29:43 am

That's true, Paul.

Kevin and I've been friends for more than 15 years now. He's a great representative and asset to Adobe.

Technically, he's the Premier and AE guy, not the Lightroom and Photoshop guy, but of course, knowing him, I totally expect he'd try to cut through the mess - and not just for me because we know each other, but for anyone else he could help.

I've never had one single problem with Adobe people below the level of the executive suite.

And I even understand the thinking at the top. This IS a better business model for them to enhance the companies long-term bottom line.

I just wish I wasn't so jaded about how far too many companies (and it's an entirely unsettled question in my mind about whether Adobe will move toward being one of them) are devoting the greatest part of their efforts to building structures that benefit the investor class and are willing to mess with their customers in order to optimize that.

The "Comcast" model. if you will - which appears to be use corporate clout to "lock in" a customer base, then squeeze them right up to the redline where demand curve goes too far south to tolerate.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 12, 2014 at 2:45:53 am

OK, I TRIED to just re-boot the entire purchase.

At 3pm I logged into my Creative Cloud account and tried a brand new purchase.

At this screen grab shows where I was after 5 minutes of waiting. (note the time stamp in the upper right corner.)

This next one is after the little CC logo spun for over 4 hours.

Got to admit, I'm a bit at my wits end.

I still can't open Lightroom or Photoshop and I have a new still shoot next week that I've GOT to start prepping for.

This can't be affecting just me, can it? If it's truly a system issue, someone has to solve it. And if it's just something I screwed up, I'll gladly do a huge mea culpa. (It won't be the first time I've screwed up a process by not remembering the right login ID or having a bad cookie installed or something.

Kevin, I can't find a current email or phone listing for you, but I'd happily accept any help anyone can give me. I just really need to get back to work.

Thanks for he patience, all.

I'm not going to drag this out here because it's very obvious that for the vast majority of CC subscribers this type of thing does NOT happen.

I just got the short straw this time.

Such is life.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 12, 2014 at 3:00:04 am

Grasping at straws, but have you tried a different browser? This was a fix for Simon on a separate issue in the thread above.

Also -- does your credit card company report your original charge from last week?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Aug 12, 2014 at 4:38:16 pm

Hi Bill,
Sorry you're still having problems getting up and running. You can contact me by email at kmonahan {at} adobe ^DOT^ #com#.

One of the best ways to reach me is via PM on Adobe forums: https://forums.adobe.com/people/Kevin-Monahan.

Contact me ASAP so I can help you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved