FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best PC editing laptop

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike albertini
Best PC editing laptop
on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:05:01 pm

Hi,

I've done lots of research on this but before i take the plunge I thought I'd just get some advice from people on here.

My budget is £600 ($1015) and I need this laptop for editing promos, packages, music videos, short films, short docs etc using Avid and Premiere, After Effects and the rest of CC.

The laptop I am on the verge of buying is the Asus N56VB.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360851453894?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageN...

I think I would add another 8GB to bring it up to 16GB and swap the hard-drive for a SSD.

I realise I have budget constraints but at the same time I don't want to purchase a laptop which is incapable of performing the takes which I demand of it. (i.e. the processor speed is only 2.4GHz)

Any feedback on this laptop or suggestions of alternatives would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Best PC editing laptop
on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:19:39 pm

[mike albertini] "Any feedback on this laptop or suggestions of alternatives would be much appreciated."

Take a look at Adobe's System Requirements:
http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

The GPU in that laptop (Nvidia GT 740M) is not on the list of Certified GPU's from Adobe. That doesn't mean it won't work, but it could be something to watch out for. That card does have 384 CUDA cores though which should work pretty well. Adobe, with the advent of CC, opened up the list of GPU's to anything that has at least 1GB of RAM I think. For most things in Premiere the GPU does the bulk of the heavy lifting. Your CPU doesn't come into play nearly as much as the GPU. So CUDA cores and RAM on the GPU are the things to look out for.

Other things to consider - where will you store your media? External hard drive? RAID? How is it connected to your laptop? If you have slow drives that can be a bottleneck as much (or more) than the specs of your system. I'm assuming you aren't storing your media on the internal SSD....the internal drive should be dedicated to system OS, programs, plugins, etc. Other drives should be handling the media.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 31, 2014 at 5:03:04 am

[Ryan Holmes] "
The GPU in that laptop (Nvidia GT 740M) is not on the list of Certified GPU's from Adobe. That doesn't mean it won't work, but it could be something to watch out for."

Agreed. You should look for a laptop with an NVIDIA 775M or 780M instead.

[Ryan Holmes] "'m assuming you aren't storing your media on the internal SSD....the internal drive should be dedicated to system OS, programs, plugins, etc."

This is something of a misnomer that stems from the days of having a spinning mechanical drive. I see no major issue with editing off the internal SSD. There's no mechanical reader arm that has to move across platters to access different physical areas. I have edited on my nMBPr on both the internal SSD and an external drive and have noticed little difference.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:16:33 am

[Gary Huff] "This is something of a misnomer that stems from the days of having a spinning mechanical drive. I see no major issue with editing off the internal SSD. "

Very true, editing on the internal SSD on my system is very fast

Steve Connor

Hoping to become a pedant

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:05:05 pm

[Gary Huff] "This is something of a misnomer that stems from the days of having a spinning mechanical drive."

Fair enough.

As a best practices approach I try to steer people away from the internal SSD. While significantly faster than a traditional spinning drive, it has it limits particularly when you get into multi-cam stuff. A small external RAID will outperform in that area. But if you're just editing 1 stream of ProRes Proxy or something...sure.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:47:19 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:48:37 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "As a best practices approach I try to steer people away from the internal SSD."

As a "best practices" approach, you could also steer people towards re-installing their OS once a month, but it would be a waste of time ultimately.

[Ryan Holmes] "While significantly faster than a traditional spinning drive, it has it limits particularly when you get into multi-cam stuff."

First, not everyone is working multi-cam on any kind of regular basis. I use multicam maybe once or twice per year. Second, what kind of footage are we talking about here? Do you honestly want to tell me that a 4-camera multi-cam in AVCHD would tax the SSD? Even a small RAID, say, the G-Tech G-RAID mini of the Western Digital Passport Pro is not going to be anywhere in the same ballpark as my internal SSD on my nMBPr. We're talking around 240-280MBps vs 950MBps.

So, really, you saying that internal SSD is fine enough for ProRes proxy or something is ludicrous. It's better for far more than that.

What you are saying definitely had relevance some years ago...but since you encountered that pearl of wisdom, have you even done follow-up since then to see if it was still applicable?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:55:42 pm

[Gary Huff] "So, really, you saying that internal SSD is fine enough for ProRes proxy or something is ludicrous. It's better for far more than that."

I don't know what the OP is running codec wise. Maybe he is doing AVCHD and would be fine using a SSD to cut with. Maybe he's running ProRes or ProRes (HQ). So my goal was to steer towards a more universal solution that would handle any of those things. An SSD running at a read speed of 250mbps would be sufficient for Proxy, (LT), or ProRes. Once you get into ProRes (HQ), and 4x4 then you'd start having problems. I only threw in the multi-cam as something as else for the OP to consider when make his purchase.

[Gary Huff] "What you are saying definitely had relevance some years ago...but since you encountered that pearl of wisdom, have you even done follow-up since then to see if it was still applicable?"

Yep. But as a matter of practice I tend to separate my media files from my OS/application files. But I'm also working raw or CinemaDNG's so an internal SSD won't cut it (not to mention the fact that others in the shop need to have access to the same files so they can't live on any one person's machine).

I agree with you an SSD could be sufficient for what he's doing (even some codecs of multi-cam). Since I don't know what he was doing I was trying to raise other points for him to consider before laying down his money.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 31, 2014 at 7:01:33 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Jul 31, 2014 at 7:05:55 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "n SSD running at a read speed of 250mbps would be sufficient for Proxy, (LT), or ProRes."

Ah, I see what the issue is. There is a huge difference between 250Mbps (the bitrate max for ProRes HQ is 220) and 250MBps. Unless that was a typo?

My internal SSD (all things being equal) could theoretically handle 34 streams of ProRes HQ material, with overhead still left over.

[Ryan Holmes] "But I'm also working raw or CinemaDNG's so an internal SSD won't cut it"

By follow-up, I mean have you actually tried it? Have you tried working with CinemaDNGs off of your internal SSD vs a small RAID and found a noticeable difference with other factors being accounted for?

[Ryan Holmes] "Since I don't know what he was doing I was trying to raise other points for him to consider before laying down his money."

Fair, but you need to give more realistic example as to what he can do with just the laptop and nothing else. I sprung for the 1TB version simply because I don't want to always have to be tethered to an external peripheral to work. I don't always do it, mostly because I can swap an external around to different stations, but I am in no way afraid to do so if it is more convenient for me.

Now, the internal 1TB SSD on the Mac Pro is a different beast than most Windows-based laptops. It is a PCI-e based drive instead of SATA. This means about half the speed, 500-600MBps being typical.

That's still 18 streams of ProRes HQ it can theoretically handle all things being equal.

Plus, most Windows-based laptops are going to be bottlenecked with USB3 connectivity only, meaning most of any benefit of an external RAID is going to be throttled by that alone, and thus the internal SSD may be a better option.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:13:57 pm

[Gary Huff] " Unless that was a typo?"
Yep. Mistyped. Good catch!

[Gary Huff] "My internal SSD (all things being equal) could theoretically handle 34 streams of ProRes HQ material, with overhead still left over."

What SSD are you running? Or was that a typo? Most SSD's are pushing around 250-300MB/s. Some Sata3 drives can pull off 500-600MB/s of sequential read or write. Given that ProRes (HQ) is 27.50MB/s (220Mbps) that would give you about 9 streams of ProRes (HQ) on a typical Sata2 SSD. I'd guess a a stream or two less given that all things aren't equal and you'd be running the OS, the NLE, the plugins, the cache files, etc all from the same drive which would consume I/O bandwidth.

Anyway, I agree with your point that it is possible to edit off an internal SSD. For much of my experience our media file sizes for a given project are too large to fit comfortably on a typical 128 or 256GB SSD. I didn't figure the OP would spring for a 1TB SSD since he was already looking at a refurbished Windows machine (could be wrong here though). So that too would point me towards an external device.

[Gary Huff] "Plus, most Windows-based laptops are going to be bottlenecked with USB3 connectivity only, meaning most of any benefit of an external RAID is going to be throttled by that alone, and thus the internal SSD may be a better option."

Agreed here. So maybe he should go for a bigger internal SSD - 512GB or 1TB?

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:20:22 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:20:53 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "So maybe he should go for a bigger internal SSD - 512GB or 1TB?"

I guess it depends on budget. I would never go with anything less than 512GB if I ever wanted to use the unit without having an external drive dongled to it. But if I wasn't intending to do that, I can't see having over 256GB. Would be hard pressed to go with less these days.

However, you have these new Sandisk USB3 flash drives that are hitting RAID 0 speeds (from spinning drives). Depending on the format one is working with, this is not a bad kind of drive to be tethered to if you want to keep your footprint compact without editing internally, especially as the capacity expands.

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Aug 3, 2014 at 7:46:42 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all of your advice.

Just to clarify I work full time at a television channel but my personal Mac Pro 1.1 is now at a point where it needs to be replaced.

My company is moving away from FCP7 to PC based Adobe CC so I would like for my home set-up to mirror this change and also have the capability to run Avid and potentially FCPX.

I am also going to start looking for freelance work outside of my full time job and have concluded that learning this newer software and having a computer that can run this software comfortably is important to me at this stage of my career.

I have considered buying a Hackintosh so I can also run FCPX and that would have these specs:

i7-4770K 3.5GHz 16GB RAM GTX 650ti 250GB SSD

I know someone who can build this for me for around £1200 (($2018)

Considering I work full time and I am unsure at this point how much freelance work I can fit in around my full time job (plus I don’t see much freelance FCPX work around so that option isn’t very important) I thought that perhaps a PC laptop for around half the price of the hackintosh might be a better option at this point.

I do however have reservations about the laptops power and its longevity in terms of how easy it would be to upgrade.

To answer some of your queries…

I was thinking of having my media on external USB 3 drives. Would that be sufficient?

In the past my freelance work has included footage from DSLR's to Red Epic footage, so I would convert it to Prores, play it natively if possible or use proxies.

In terms of the graphics card not being on the Adobe list, and the recommendation of the NVidia 775M or 780M I have looked around and cant seem to find laptops, which come with those cards. Are there any you can recommend or had in mind?

Also has anyone been using this Asus laptop with Adobe CC / Avid and how has it performed?

What laptops have you been using with Adobe CC, which have worked well with it and which would you recommend for around £600-£700 ($1000-$1200)

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 4, 2014 at 3:17:02 am

[mike albertini] "I was thinking of having my media on external USB 3 drives. Would that be sufficient?"

Depends on what you edit. AVCHD footage in a typical interview + b-roll situation should be no problem. Seven camera multicam with ProRes would be the opposite end of that, and wouldn't be a good choice.

[mike albertini] "In the past my freelance work has included footage from DSLR's to Red Epic footage, so I would convert it to Prores, play it natively if possible or use proxies."

I edited a feature in 4K Redcode on an old 2010 Sony VAIO laptop. Editing isn't much of an issue, but rendering out is (3 days of render time for a 113 minute cut). This is one reason you want a good GPU, as that will help cut that down.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 4, 2014 at 6:51:42 am

Hey Mike,

I've just been through the same considerations that you are currently going through. Using mine for office work, research (100+ tabs open in Firefox), Adobe CC for video and graphics etc.

My experiences are:

Having recently had one laptop (Windows 8.1), not far from your Asus specs, that had a terminal fan failure - which is quite normal, but also a concern when you put a lot of power in a very small space with no air flowing through it. It gets hot, and if the motherboard have to be changed, then you loose your mirror back-up (if done within Windows).

I could have continued with the old laptop. But instead opted for the slightly more expensive HP ZBook PRO (15.1") with a 4th generation i7 processor.
The main drive is a 750GB Hard-disk - The amount of programs that I install and the cost of SSD storage is IMHO just not a cost effective solution, yet.
However, I did get a 32GB SSD drive too which HP uses for virtual memory. In addition to 16GB of memory - suddenly working in HD across PPro, Photoshop and AE (with all of them open) doing complex particles transitions of a logo is quite fun, rather than watching paint dry...
It also have 1 x Thunderbolt connection which I have yet to use.
4 x USB3 connections of which one is permanently used by the mouse and one is driving an external base fan unit. The two others are alternating between USB3 drives with source material and/or printer, Skype head set etc.

For HD work of EX or Canon cameras the USB3 drives are giving me no problems. However, if you're looking for uncompressed 2K and/or 4K then I would recommend a raid, which in turn might have to be connected to a Workstation, rather than a laptop.

I am really pleased with the performance the HP and will be looking to add a docking station with a larger monitor for grading and graphics work.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Aug 4, 2014 at 8:32:53 pm

Hi Mads,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your issue but that HP Z Book costs a lot more than I want to spend on a laptop.

I think I'll be generally using this for work which involves interview/broll material , music, some effects/ grading etc and will not be pushing it too hard so think it might be ok. I'll perhaps upgrade the ram to 16GB and the HD to SSD plus use a good USB 3 external drive for my media as suggested.

I am now considering this Asus N56VV. It has a slightly different graphics card and no OS installed.

I would like to install windows 7 64 bit on here. Is it easy enough to do this - just a matter of downloading the drivers and installing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360902548554?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageN...

Do you think this laptop is up to the job if I don't push it too hard?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 5, 2014 at 6:54:05 am

Hey Mike,

Tough call, it comes down to your expected ROI?
Is this just a hobby machine running in-expensive software, or will you be taking a full Adobe CC subscription? And offering that service as a freelancer?
More to the point, will the client be sitting next to you when you work?

I am one of the few people around (if not the only one) who likes Windows 8.1. So I see no point in you getting stuck on Windows 7. If anything, in theory you should be getting better performance with Windows 8.

If the Asus does not come with an SSD drive, don't waste your money upgrading it. SSD drive prices is due to drop off a cliff, where you'll be able to run 1TB, rather than 256GB.

There not a lot of laptops out there with 16GB of memory, so check with Asus that they will support and recommend that upgrade?

In any case, the link you provided is a for a refurbished Asus - which always begs the question: Why was it returned? And what have they fixed on it? Think Warranty...

Bottom line consideration is that you are only getting a 3rd generation Intel i7 chip. When I original set up my specifications, 4th generation was a must have for use with Adobe CC - that is my opinion, and it has worked well for me.

Your consideration should be whether the Asus you're looking at is coming at a high price with quite a few legacy components? On that basis, I would not be buying that specific model - unless you ROI is to use it for 1 year and the upgrade again.

Hope this answered your question?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Aug 5, 2014 at 11:25:53 pm

Hi Mads,

Thanks for your advice. I agree! The laptop has a mediocre graphics card which cannot be upgraded.

It has two slots for ram, which at the time of purchase would be taken up with 2x4GB sticks. In order to get my desired 16GB I would have to throw those away and buy 16GB from scratch (2x8GB). Waste of money!

The internal hard drive which it ships with runs at 5400rpm - so too slow. Extra cost to replace!

Add to that the fact that the processor isn't very powerful and also isn't upgradable and you won't be surprised to hear that I've decided against purchasing it!

I'm going to spend the extra money and get the hackintosh I mentioned for £1200 ($2018). These are the specs:

i7-4770K 3.5GHz 16GB RAM GTX 650ti 250GB SSD

Running Windows 7 / Mavericks

Does this sound sufficient to you?

Thanks for your advice

Mike

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:40:16 am

Hey Mike,

Sounds good to me.

Although at £1,200 you are very close to be able to buy the real thing, whether Apple or a HP ZBook Pro - nevertheless, having something to do your freelance work on, is better than twirling your hair and having nothing :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 6, 2014 at 3:49:43 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Although at £1,200 you are very close to be able to buy the real thing, whether Apple or a HP ZBook Pro"

Best to avoid a Hackintosh. Driver issues can be a nightmare that gets compounded by things that "ought" to work, just not working, and nobody to turn to for support.

You don't have to read very far in the Apple forums in particular to see that pretty much every time iTunes updates, it breaks FCP/FCX. Now imagine it breaking your graphics driver. That's an extreme example that's avoided by not upgrading iTunes, but my point is that these things cascade FAST, because NOBODY tests their drivers for compatibility on a Hackintosh.

If you really want both platforms, running Windows on a Mac works great. There are still hurdles, but they're easy, and the number of people doing it is vastly greater than the number of Hackintoshers, which makes peer-to-peer support easier to find.

(Not much at the COW, though. It's still not a reliable enough configuration for most media professionals.)

Mads is right. You're closing in on the price for a computer that's built for the exact work you want to do, that will work exactly the way you need it to.

As long as you avoid iTunes. LOL

BTW, also seconding Mads' approval of Windows 8. There's a MINOR thing or two to relearn, but the advantages are profound, and it's actually just a lot of fun. You'll also spend less time learning it than you will spend the next time your PHONE operating system upgrades. LOL

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:21:51 am

[Tim Wilson] "BTW, also seconding Mads' approval of Windows 8. There's a MINOR thing or two to relearn, but the advantages are profound, and it's actually just a lot of fun. You'll also spend less time learning it than you will spend the next time your PHONE operating system upgrades. LOL"

Trying to get my head around 8 at the moment. What are the advantages as you see them? I seem to be coming up against a lot of negatives without finding anything that is better at this point. Right clicking on the Windows icon down in the bottom left corner seems to give me access to most of the things I miss but things like the 'charm' bar frustrate me. I can never get it to appear when I want it to but it pops up all the time when I don't.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:29:55 am

Hey Dominic,

Never tried the right click on Windows icon - good call.

[Dominic Deacon] "but things like the 'charm' bar frustrate me. I can never get it to appear when I want it to but it pops up all the time when I don't."

Press Windows (button) + "c" should do the trick.
I tend to use Windows + "i" more, that was until I accidentally found the sleep button on my HP ZBook keyboard :-)

All the Best
Mads

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:32:31 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "What are the advantages as you see them? I seem to be coming up against a lot of negatives without finding anything that is better at this point."

It's possible to skip the Metro interface entirely. Under the hood, Windows 8 is more optimized, has things like virtual disc imaging built-in, and better hardware support.

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Aug 8, 2014 at 9:36:55 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your advice. The guy has now offered to make the Hackintosh for £1075 ($1800). This would be a i7-4770K 3.5GHz 16GB RAM GTX 650ti 250GB SSD desktop PC.

This is the top end of my budget for a new computer to run Adobe CC - mainly Premiere and After Effects and Avid Media Composer.

I've looked around at the the HP Z book Pro and the type I can find for my budget is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ZBook-17-17-3-034-Notebook-i7-4700MQ-2-40-GHz-...

Would this do the job?

I don't mind whether i get a desktop or a laptop, I just need a computer which will work with this software using HD footage from a variety of cameras.

Nothing too intensive - no 7 multi cam or 4K shoots etc. Just a computer which will work now and for a good few years. Just something reliable and fairly powerful.

What computers/laptops would you suggest for this price range?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 8, 2014 at 9:49:07 pm

[mike albertini] "What computers/laptops would you suggest for this price range?"

For $2K you could get a really nice iMac, If you want to run OSX - https://www.apple.com/imac/

Or if you want to live in the Windows world get a HP Z620 workstation - http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/z620.html

These computers would easily handle today's modern codecs. Plus you could stay beneath your $2K budget as well.

I would also second what Tim suggested earlier in this thread regarding the "Hackintosh" approach:
[Tim Wilson] "Best to avoid a Hackintosh. Driver issues can be a nightmare that gets compounded by things that "ought" to work, just not working, and nobody to turn to for support."

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Aug 9, 2014 at 12:24:07 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice. I take on board the reservations about a hackintosh.
Friends have also been cautious about the idea so I will finally give up on that one!

I am happy to have a PC only desktop. I think I'd rather that over a laptop as they're more upgradeable.

With that in mind I had a look around at the HP Z620. I like the look of them but couldn't really find anything in the £1050 ($1760) price range for sale in the UK but did find this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271563067299?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageN...

I realise the processor speed is slow at 2Ghz but it does over clock…according to the HP website I think it could be up to 3.5Ghz. Is that true?

I would also have to increase the ram and add a graphics card but it still seems a good price.

Is there a catch?
(one anomaly is that on the listing it says the ram for this model is DDR3 1866 MHz but the HP website says that this processor needs ram which is 1333Mhz)?

If I was to purchase this would it be ok to just buy some ram which has the same Mhz or does it have to be the exact same type?

If I was to buy this PC would this be a good choice as a graphics card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeForce-DirectCU-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B00DBPKEO...

Alternatively, I could get the guy who was going to build me the hackintosh to just build me a PC with these specs.

i7 i7-4770K 3.5GHz 16GB RAM GTX 650ti 250GB SSD

Would this be a good option?

Or is there still the issue that it's a home build...It still won't be a generic model from a big brand with customer/online support and therefore not a sensible decision considering I'll need it for work?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 9, 2014 at 8:55:14 pm

Hey Mike,

HP Z620 is also a very nice workstation. However, the one on eBay, apart from coming in from the US, seems to be missing quite a few things that would make it the work station that you would want (some you've already mentioned).

Mainly USB-2 connections.
Only 4GB memory.
Only 500GB Hard-Disk.
NO graphics card!!!
NO Thunderbolt as standard.
By my estimate it would cost you another £800.00 to get it to a working condition.

The three year HP warranty is great, but not sure that they would cover a US purchase in the UK - do check.

The self-build option will all be about warranty and functionality. The SSD drive is IMHO too small and the first 1TB SSD is already available out there...

As many have already said, the Hackintosh option is not a good option, so I'm not sure that I would buy another product from that same source that originally promoted that idea? However, that is not for me to judge. Bottom line is: How much time do you want to spend on configuring your hardware -v- how much time do you want to spend on making marketing materials and executing jobs for clients?

On a happier note: I just downloaded and installed Davinci Resolve on my HP with no problem at all - now I got to go and look for a good monitor for grading :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:43:06 pm

Hi Mads,

I hope you had a good weekend with da Vinci resolve!

Grading monitors are brilliant...I use a Flanders scientific at work which is great!!

I've decided to go with the i7 4th generation hackintosh. The guy offers an aftercare service including software updates etc...plus I got an upgrade on the graphics card for no extra cost so all in £1050 for the machine I was after.

As I mentioned I work full time for a major tv network editing drama and docs on 12 core macs...soon to be replaced by 16 core hp z820's...

So my computer will be for any ad hoc stuff which I have time for at home so no point spending too much on it...wife and kids are expensive enough especially when you're living a rock n roll lifestyle too!!

Anyway I know you won't agree with my decision but I think it'll serve me well for the next few years.

Have fun with your new monitor!

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 12, 2014 at 10:08:50 am

Hey Mike,

[mike albertini] "I know you won't agree with my decision"
No, I agree with any informed decision that you make, which you feel is right for you. I think that it is fair to say that you've had enough feedback, to make that right purchase. And well done for building aftercare service into the agreement.

I will take a look at the Flanders scientific,thanks, although that might be slightly out of bounds for my current requirements.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]