FORUMS: list search recent posts

How about Rent To Own

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Sollenberger
How about Rent To Own
on May 13, 2013 at 8:48:21 am

The only way I would consider renting Adobe CC is if every time they come out with a full upgrade I get to own the prior version i rented. So in other words I would rent CC version 7, and when version 8 is released I get to own version 7.... That gives me a check point and the security of knowing my life's work is truly my own - at least up to a point in time.

That would allow me to Participate in CC, OWN my own tools as I stay loyal to Adobe, and upgrade when I want.
That also means that adobe has to continue to be innovative to get me to want to upgrade rather than forcing me to upgrade by only allowing me access to my life's work via subscription.

Adobe, I hope you will consider this... I have made a fine living in the creative industry, and your products have helped me do it. I have also been a customer of yours for well over a decade. But If you think a fellow like me will be forced into not being able to own my software - thus taking away my ability to open, and modify my life's work to my hearts content you are out of your minds.
I will use CS6 for the next 10 years if I must - until a new company comes along with a better option. I don't care how good your product gets. Not being able to modify, change, render, revise, or add new content to my life's work is a flat out deal breaker and to be perfectly honest with you it pisses me off.

Return to posts index

Carl Sollenberger
Re: How about Rent To Own
on May 13, 2013 at 9:06:53 am

Seriously, the more I think of only having the option to rent, the more I feel like Adobe is trying to set up a model that's holds their customers hostage with their own work.
No one with any respect for the creative community would have dreamed this up. Only a bean counter would. I don't think it's wrong for Adobe to want to make insane amounts of money, but this plan to do it stinks something awful.

I'm just unwilling to create any projects after CS6 knowing I won't have complete creative freedom with future versions of Adobe unless I rent.... Think about it - if an alternative company a few years from now made products you would want to switch over too you would have to be willing to not have access to everything you've done in CS7 and beyond without being on the hook for a subscription.... And that is most likely a key reason for the subscription only mentality.

Return to posts index

Carl Sollenberger
on May 13, 2013 at 9:08:55 am

Seriously, the more I think of only having the option to rent, the more I feel like Adobe is trying to set up a model that holds their customers hostage with their own work.
No one with any respect for the creative community would have dreamed this up. Only a bean counter would. I don't think it's wrong for Adobe to want to make insane amounts of money, but this plan to do it stinks something awful.

I'm just unwilling to create any projects after CS6 knowing I won't have complete creative freedom with future versions of Adobe unless I rent.... Think about it - if an alternative company a few years from now made products you would want to switch over too you would have to be willing to not have access to everything you've done in CS7 and beyond without being on the hook for a subscription.... And that is most likely a key reason for the subscription only mentality.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 13, 2013 at 1:17:11 pm

I've thought this would be the best option. After paying for X number of months you are able to use the version you currently have in perpetuity.

Some complications would be, will there really be CS8, CS9 versions like there have been historically when the product can be updated at any time?

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on May 13, 2013 at 2:20:13 pm

But that forces Adobe to invest in R&D instead of being able to lay off software engineers down the road and only add real features if the competition creates something that makes it worthwhile for CC subscribers to cancel their subscription and thus, pay to open their files later on)

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 13, 2013 at 4:28:07 pm

Agreed Carl.

That's the best proposal I've heard yet in this debacle.

One thing is certain, any time a company does this sort of thing,
someone comes along with a way to break the verification/authorization.

I'm not encouraging or condoning of course but one way or the other, legal or not, you can bet the bank
these newer versions will continue to work without a connection at some point in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]