FORUMS: list search recent posts

My AMEX Was Compromised

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Huff
My AMEX Was Compromised
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:00:45 pm

Attempted to purchase $120 worth of fuel + whatever else at a gas station in Newport News, Virginia. AMEX immediately smelled a rat and refused to let the transaction go through. Net loss to me? $0. Just have the light annoyance to destroy my current card and wait for the replacement, which gets here tomorrow.

Don't know if it was from the Adobe hack, or the Target hack, or who knows what else. Have had my card cancelled before for this reason, a few years back.

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
Re: My AMEX Was Compromised
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:38:50 pm

It's so hard to say why they shut your card down, it seems they have many variables the are deemed suspicious and any combination can cause them to block your card.

In Feb, I had my card declined at the Apple store in Vegas, for basically no other reason than "your in Vegas". A quick phone call to the bank in-store and they authorized the purchase. I think I had traveled a bit before the trip and ending up in Vegas is "one of the" variables.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 30, 2014 at 6:38:46 pm

[Michael Hendrix] " A quick phone call to the bank in-store and they authorized the purchase."

Yeah, I am headed to the UK in a few weeks, so I will be calling ahead to make sure they are aware.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 30, 2014 at 9:02:06 pm

Gary make sure you visit the north of England if you get chance!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:34:22 pm

Well the best bet is to call them up and ask. I had a Visa that had to be replaced after the Adobe hack (though there never were any attempted fraudulent charges) and they were able to answer that it was the Adobe hack. Its not just easy, its prudent to do so. Better to know what caused this, if it was a major intrusion, lack of security on your part, completely chance happening, whatever.

But given that the major credit card companies responded to the Adobe hack months ago and that there were fraudulent charges, I'd be doubtful that it was either the Adobe or Target hack.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jul 1, 2014 at 9:14:03 pm

I had several hundred dollars worth of calls made from Norway about a week after Adobe announced the hack. Never shop at Target, none on Kauai. Amex removed the charges. Sometimes it is annoying when they decline what they consider a suspicious transaction. I had a Nikon on order for a couple of months that Amex wouldn't pay for because they thought it was bogus. Lost the camera for another month or so. I warn Amex when there is a wait for anything since that incident, but they are very good for security if you keep that in mind.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 1, 2014 at 11:46:28 pm

A week after seems highly unlikely. Target was also well after.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 1, 2014 at 11:48:51 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Jul 1, 2014 at 11:49:36 pm

If someone told you your Visa was compromised specifically by the Adobe hack, then you were either leading the question or they were full of it. There is no way to know for sure at all.

Your card can just as easily be ripped off from the waitstaff of a restaurant.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jul 2, 2014 at 12:26:47 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Jul 2, 2014 at 12:48:46 am

I'm only estimating, not looking at my statement or the date Adobe revealed the loss of millions of card numbers. It was 1-2 weeks afterwards, and they revealed the leak quite a few days after it happened. I think it was highly likely from that leak. I don't use that card except for business purchases and they are very limited. None of the vendors I buy from have reported any problems other than Adobe. I also don't eat at many restaurants in Norway, and don't use it on the street anyway. Thought there might be one subject you wouldn't have a snappy comeback about, Gary. I was actually agreeing with you. Changed the number, no problems since.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 2, 2014 at 2:47:11 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Thought there might be one subject you wouldn't have a snappy comeback about, Gary. I was actually agreeing with you."

You aren't responding to my response to you, but to someone else. My response to you specifically was:

[Gary Huff] "A week after seems highly unlikely. Target was also well after."

Not exactly a "snappy comeback", so not sure what you mean.

First, you get a data dump that has to be encoded. Then you have to find prospective buyers. You can just as easily believe it was the Adobe hack that compromised your card and my card, but ultimately there is no way of knowing. Not everyone reports data leaks. Even small vendors may not even realize they have one for years. Heartbleed could have easily been used to get our info too.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:51:25 pm

[Gary Huff] "Not everyone reports data leaks. Even small vendors may not even realize they have one for years. Heartbleed could have easily been used to get our info too."

I agree completely.

One thing that did happen to me was someone got hold of a debit card number that I did not activate and it was in my possession. It just arrived in the mail, shortly thereafter someone used it to make a Pizza Hut purchase on the opposite side of the state. Found the purchase when checking my balance online. Went to the bank the same day, got a new debit card and the debit was reversed. The only explanation I got was that someone must have typed in random numbers until they got a match. How could a purchase been made to my debit card that was not yet activated?

I check my balance at least twice a day. Anything that looks suspicious I immediately call the bank or visit the local branch. Unusual purchase on the credit card, then I call the card issuer. Taking a proactive approach does help. Something could have happened at the bank, someone could have copied down the number on the front of the card with everything else, really do not know. Instead of blaming someone else I went to the bank and disputed the transaction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]