FORUMS: list search recent posts

The hidden truth about Adobe's cloud plan (why you will be outraged sooner or later)

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Wall
The hidden truth about Adobe's cloud plan (why you will be outraged sooner or later)
on May 11, 2013 at 11:23:45 pm

Set aside the pricing for a moment and think about the realities if Adobe is permitted to proceed with their outrageous rent-only model.

1. Adobe will be empowered to hold your own files as hostage, as leverage against you.
2. Want to revisit your .AEP masterpiece? You will have to rent access ($50 a month) to even open your own work. FOREVER.
3. You want to retire or change professions, but still periodically tweak or update a file? That won't happen without paying Adobe $600 per year. You are locked out by the Adobe gatekeeper who will henceforth have the right to put your work in cryogenic freeze. The file is on your hard drive, sure...but since you can't open After Effects you can't open your project.

Imagine a scenario where you built yourself a house...but where at a later time you stopped renting the tools that you used during construction...imagine then that the tool vendor could lock you from the house if you stopped at any point from renting those tools! That's the same scenario here. My work. My efforts. My perspiration. My ideas...But because I use Adobe's tools...I'm forever their slave to be able to access MY STUFF.

When someone manipulates access to your own art to coerce you to pay them money? How is that not blackmail?

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: The hidden truth about Adobe's cloud plan (why you will be outraged sooner or later)
on May 12, 2013 at 12:58:48 am

These limitations are being discussed...there are certainly aspects of the new arrangement that are concerns.

One area where Adobe doesn't have you held hostage is, of course...buying the product.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
Re: The hidden truth about Adobe's cloud plan (why you will be outraged sooner or later)
on May 12, 2013 at 1:21:00 am

Tom Kolb writes, "One area where Adobe doesn't have you held hostage is, of course...buying the product."

Uh Tom...nobody will be buying it ever again.

As per renting it...No thanks. I'm going this route:
Quark
Pixelmator
Tumult Hype
Foundry's Nuke

As with a lot of people....I've often thought that Shantanu Narayen was burying Adobe. I just didn't think it was going to happen so fast.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 12, 2013 at 2:31:24 am

Um...it's "Tim"

Pixelmator and Hype are interesting products regardless of what else you have.

Nuke and QuarkXpress are 5,000.00 USD combined...that's quite a statement.

Particularly since it's equal to 8+ years of Adobe subscription service at the current retail...even if Adobe reverses course from the last 8 years and starts to raise prices, it's probably 5 or 6. Upgrade Nuke once and you add 3 or 4 years...

Nuke is an excellent program though.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 12, 2013 at 2:38:39 am

Yes, Nuke is expensive. I don't have a problem with paying for good software....when I have budgeted for it and can look at a long lifespan.

I have a problem with a company that wants to put me in a coerced position for--literally--the rest of my life. (I don't envision a day where I'm not doing motion graphics, though I can envision a day I'm no longer making much money doing so).

It will be interesting. The Foundry might be incentivized to reduce their prices and scoop up a mass of disenchanted Adobe customers.

BTW...I was once a certified Adobe trainer myself. But I haven't been of fan of that company's direction in a long time.

Return to posts index

Tyler Wiethorn
on May 12, 2013 at 8:51:36 pm

"Imagine a scenario where you built yourself a house...but where at a later time you stopped renting the tools that you used during construction...imagine then that the tool vendor could lock you from the house if you stopped at any point from renting those tools!"

Your analogy is misguided. You build your house, you rent the tools, when finished with construction you live in it. You can enjoy the fruits of your labor for eternity. But, as soon as you want to knock down a wall and add another bedroom, well, you've got to rent the tools again.

That After Effects masterpiece you did 5 years ago? You can enjoy the .mov you rendered out forever. Those vacation photos you touched up in Photoshop? They will stay framed on your wall forever.

Only when you want to open up, edit, and export again will you be required to rent the tools for a month. Just like in your house analogy.

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 12, 2013 at 11:35:40 pm

Access to a dead render or pdf is not access to the .aep.

I will never ever ever ever ever permit some company to become gatekeeper of my files, charging me rent for them. And I'm appalled and embarrassed for anyone so-short-sighted that would do so.

I have been an adobe evangelist, an authorized adobe trainer, a flash apologist, a premiere proponent. That's all in the past now.

This decision was nothing more than spit in my face from the Adobe mother ship. And I will not forget it.

Return to posts index

Peter Jay Gould
on May 13, 2013 at 10:17:31 pm

But you've unintentionally nailed exactly what the problem is. I don't WANT to "rent" the tools. I've been an Adobe customer since the company was originally formed - an AfterEffects user since the product was sold by CoSa, its inventor. And I have always OWNED my tools. This is the equivalent to discovering that you can no longer own a hammer, a saw, a drill press - you must rent them - and rent them at whatever price their distributor says. Today it's $50/month - and I would argue that is an artificially low price intended to make customers move over with a minimum of fuss. When my company was surveyed about this idea by Adobe nearly two years ago the price they were floating was $150/month, not $50.

For those who want the subscription model, that's dandy. For those of us who do not, the lack of choice is what we object to.

Return to posts index

Richard Dolesh
on May 15, 2013 at 3:08:09 am

[Peter Jay Gould] "For those who want the subscription model, that's dandy. For those of us who do not, the lack of choice is what we object to."

I agree THAT this is exactly what I would prefer, A simple choice: to buy it outright or subscription. The pros and cons of each would guide the purchaser in a direction that best suits.

I'm perfectly happy upgrading every other release. I was planning on upgrading to 'CS7' or rather CC but may check out Avid.

I think the challenge is for Adobe, today with all their success, is really, just to stay, humble, and listen. It's that humility that got them to where they are today. Look what happened to Avid when FCP came on the scene. Sure Adobe (as any company would) wants to crack down on piracy. Perhaps new ways to minimize piracy could be explored? Regardless, I think Adobe will do better by far in the long to give their loyal customers a fair choice.

If you compare it to Buying or Leasing a new car for example. Both are options, with pros and cons, but it's nice to have a choice. And if I know I have to move out of the country in 2 years, a lease sure looks good. But if I am single guy, love taking care of cars...I may want to buy the car outright, because I want to drive it to the grave, (and get a far better value per mile if take care of it) So, where you are at in life will usually dictate the choice. But the KEY difference here, is Adobe has some strong leverage now, because it owns so many products, and so many pros are comfortable with those products, therefore, it will take a strong motivation to make them find options to replace such software (not likely). My personal feeling is they are being a bit too aggressive.

Lack of a purchase option, also reminds me a bit like 'big government'. Scary. If the benefits are so worth it, won't the features/benefits 'sell themselves'? Like anything else that is quality?

Richard Dolesh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]