FORUMS: list search recent posts

adobe cc to little to soon

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
adobe cc to little to soon
on May 21, 2014 at 3:22:12 pm

http://www.businesscloudnews.com/2014/05/20/adobe-creative-cloud-too-little...

ricardo marty

looks like many are finally discovering the medeterranean

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: adobe cc to little to soon
on May 21, 2014 at 5:50:06 pm

This article erroneously connects the authentication outage with the ability to use the desktop apps. I think it's misleading at best and false at worst to claim that "millions of users were unable to login to applications like Photoshop and Illustrator."

This article also positions Creative Cloud as nothing more than a new way to sell Creative Suite. I think that's an oversimplification, as it ignores the changes in marketing and development -- particularly in the area of feature development, which I think has been the greatest advantage of Creative Cloud over Creative Suite so far. It's a subtle shift that's yielding outsized results, with more useful features geared at everyday users, and fewer "shiny" but less useful features geared for marketing to try to push new sales.

I agree that it's important to note that the Creative Cloud offering doesn't fit the definition of cloud computing, as this article does, but otherwise the analysis is inaccurate and incomplete.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 21, 2014 at 6:43:12 pm

This article erroneously connects the authentication outage with the ability to use the desktop apps.

wrong wrong wrong walter.

It did indeed lead to lockout in a large number of cases. we just don't anecdotally know how many and adobe is extremely unlikely to tell us.
some were notable - redshark and a whole bunch of UK firms contacted by macuser.

They also managed to take down the dailymail website for 24 hours. that one's a doozy.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 21, 2014 at 7:05:13 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "wrong wrong wrong walter. It did indeed lead to lockout in a large number of cases. we just don't anecdotally know how many and adobe is extremely unlikely to tell us. "

The article specifies millions. As there are roughly "millions" of CC customers (circa 1.8M?), it implies that all CC customers were unable to use their applications. That claim is not defensible. I think that the reporter or analyst just plain didn't understand how CC works or what actually happened and combined the fact that there was an outage with the number of customers.

Again, I am not defending Adobe here or trying to minimize the outage in any way. I'm a CC customer, and trust me, I am keenly interested in hearing about how Adobe intends to limit the potential damages that outages like this can cause. (Personally, I think some kind of auxiliary permissive, alphanumeric-digit challenge/response system that opens up CC desktop apps for a week on a system during a normal authentication outage would be a good thing.)

But if we're going to have a frank conversation about this, neither "side" should exaggerate. In my mind, part of the story of this outage is that so many customers -- many even "millions" of them! -- never even noticed because their systems worked as they were supposed to.

DRM is not awesome, but as its the only way to make subscription work, and as subscription is focusing marketing and development on existing users as much as new ones in a way that the previous sales model didn't, DRM is kind of a linchpin that enables the actual benefits in CC.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "They also managed to take down the dailymail website for 24 hours. that one's a doozy."

It is a doozy. If I'm going to really depend on Adobe services, I expect more than two nines of reliability. They certainly have trust to rebuild here.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 21, 2014 at 8:31:25 pm

May be InDesign did work - But the Online publishing functions did not.
(Bit different from the Video-Tools...)

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 21, 2014 at 6:57:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "This article erroneously connects the authentication outage with the ability to use the desktop apps. I think it's misleading at best and false at worst to claim that "millions of users were unable to login to applications like Photoshop and Illustrator.""

Walter you're reasoned arguments, logic, and semantic explorations have no power here! :-) But I applaud the attempt.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "It did indeed lead to lockout in a large number of cases. we just don't anecdotally know how many and adobe is extremely unlikely to tell us. "

Aindreas a CC user could still open and use the apps that are installed on their local machine during the outage. Problems occurred when someone was trying to switch to a new machine and validate a new license, download a fresh set of apps to a workstation, or access files/fonts stored in the CC. All of those tasks demand communication with Adobe's servers. But if you were logged into CC before the outage your local apps (Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, Speedgrade, AME, etc.) all launched and functioned as normal, in my experience.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 21, 2014 at 7:54:04 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "... a CC user could still open and use the apps that are installed on their local machine during the outage."

Ryan,

As I have attempted to document elsewhere, some posts suggest this was not true in some cases; it isn't clear, but it seems like those who had license renewals on the outage day may have been somehow "signed out" by Adobe.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/378/8000

Franz.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2014 at 8:04:19 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "As I have attempted to document elsewhere, some posts suggest this was not true in some cases; it isn't clear,"

Then if it's not clear, or even true, why do you still insist on bringing it up until you know for certain?

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: On Certainty and Truth
on May 22, 2014 at 12:32:43 am
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on May 22, 2014 at 12:39:15 am

[Gary Huff] "... if it's not clear, or even true, why do you still insist on bringing it up until you know for certain?"

Gary,

Indeed.

cf. History of Philosophy, and epistemology in particular; Descartes would be the obvious place to start, and it's hard to avoid the problem of induction (though some proposed solutions are of interest, Popper being my favourite).

But I agree it's a good question.

Am I correct in assuming you believe certainty is possible?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 22, 2014 at 3:47:35 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "
Am I correct in assuming you believe certainty is possible?"

Certainty? The firm belief, a reliable quality, or a definite fact that something is true? Which one is it?

Do I believe that a firm belief is possible? Yes, but it seems that faith in a condition to be true usually works out to about 50/50 that actually is/isn't true.

Is there a reliable quality of being true? Well, it's hearsay over the Internet, so there's that.

Is it a definite fact? No, and you admitted as much yourself.

But it doesn't matter because you have laid the groundwork that it is true. A curious offshoot of our "communication" age, though one that may have been merely slightly harder to pull off before that.

As I have attempted to document elsewhere, some information suggests that Franz Bieberkopf is not actually human, but a bot. It isn't clear, but it seems like "he" is nothing more than a mere collection of malicious code with the purpose of leaving behind outrageous posts.

It's a possibility, ain't it?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 22, 2014 at 4:55:23 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "History of Philosophy, and epistemology in particular"

John Pollock is all the rage these days :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Pollock

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 22, 2014 at 5:42:49 pm

[Richard Herd] "John Pollock is all the rage these days"

Richard,

The wiki article is pretty oblique in its discussion of "defeasible reasoning". Do you have a succinct description?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 27, 2014 at 4:40:57 pm

Here's a far better explanation than I can give. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/reasoning-defeasible/

Another word for it might be "common sense," or "knowledge from experience." (But I'm no expert, for sure.)

It's important to note that DR plays a big role in artificial intelligence with things like:

(1) Pick up the object.
(2) Object already in my hand.
there4, cannot complete (1).

Formalizing that bit was somewhat difficult, apparently. I wasn't there.

I also find the idea of rejecting self-defeating arguments to be a good one.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 22, 2014 at 8:50:52 pm

look at this - some proper goddamned high minded discussions.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 21, 2014 at 8:37:11 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "all launched and functioned as normal"

No. That´s not true. Some functionalities (which are dependent on Adobes Servers - like Online-Publications / Some fonts / Web-functions) were influenced.
Video Tools don´t have (if you don´t store something in the cloud) this problem.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 21, 2014 at 9:26:17 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "Aindreas a CC user could still open and use the apps that are installed on their local machine during the outage."

that's the point - you are incorrect. Red Shark and a number of UK firms had exactly that happen to them. In red Sharks case it was photoshop and they couldn't get it to boot, they got a weird error message asking them to log into creative cloud.

They couldn't open the desktop application.

A number of UK firms reported inability to get into their desktop apps to macuser as well.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 21, 2014 at 7:57:52 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on May 21, 2014 at 8:29:51 pm

[Walter Soyka] "millions of users were unable to login to applications like Photoshop and Illustrator."

Right. There are no Millions of CC users.
(But it seems not every desktop App was able to work & some parts of functionality - which are dependent to online services - also don´t work)

[Walter Soyka] "also positions Creative Cloud as nothing more than a new way to sell Creative Suite"

It´s nothing else.
There are other ways to improve development. Adobe decided to take this one.
The few cloud gimmicks are not worth to name Adobe "innovative" or place them near something like real cloud computing.
The change in distribution has much more impact on my work/business than the advantage of some fast delivered updates.
Or other advantage (...I can´t see.).
Adobes "Cloud" is still a Vision (as today).
Other company are not less innovative and have a fair distribution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]