FORUMS: list search recent posts

techrepublic neatly explains why the creative cloud is a greedy incoherent controlling DRM mess.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
techrepublic neatly explains why the creative cloud is a greedy incoherent controlling DRM mess.
on May 21, 2014 at 12:24:32 am

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/adobe-creative-cloud-outage-workaround-....

to quote:

As a result of the outage, the digital version of the UK's Daily Mail tabloid newspaper, "Mail Plus," was unavailable Thursday, and access to the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite -- a cloud-only service for which no workaround existed -- was also unavailable.

The "service" in software-as-a-service
Unlike software-as-a-service (SaaS) offerings from other companies, this is not a case in which the SaaS offering is a cheaper alternative compared to the standalone desktop version. Adobe Creative Cloud is the only means through which users can access the most recent version of programs previously offered in Adobe Creative Suite, such as Photoshop. Adobe announced in May 2013 that no further versions of Adobe Creative Suite would be offered, instead opting to force all users onto the subscription-based Adobe Creative Cloud, to the frustration of users.

It is not the case that users of Creative Cloud are second-tier citizens in this ecosystem; Creative Cloud is intended to be Adobe's premier ready-for-primetime offering. The difference between the two products is relatively slim -- Creative Cloud uses a new, incompatible file format, and offers cloud storage of files, along with some web-based utilities for desktop publishing. Overwhelmingly, the product is the same as it ever was, with the actual computational tasks being handled by the software installed on the user's computer. As such, the requirement to "log in" to a legitimately purchased program before using any of the cloud-connected services is tantamount to a Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme.

Illicit versions of Adobe Creative Cloud defeat the connectivity check by redirecting the cloud login check to the user's IP, and extending the amount of time that can occur for the next verified login from the Adobe authentication server. (Note: We are not endorsing pirating software.)

and lastly -

In an effort to prevent events such as mishandled database maintenance from inhibiting millions of paying customers from using the product, it's probably necessary to edit the way the license verification scheme works. A more elegant solution would be to extend the 30-day grace period from the last known login, and not require the user to be offline to circumvent the license verification.

A better alternative would be to not conflate cloud storage services and a DRM scheme. The desktop programs in Adobe Creative Cloud do not need cloud processing time to perform its core functions -- the programs run from the end-user's computer. The inability to retrieve remotely stored files on a temporary basis is preferable to being completely unable to use a program because of a critical failure in a database server.

adobe are a joke, here, and people who write about things with intent in response to people with businesses to protect are starting to talk about the company formally known as adobe in unvarnished terms.

adobe are in the process of staggering, cash in hand, out of any general polite discussion.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
Re: techrepublic neatly explains why the creative cloud is a greedy incoherent controlling DRM mess.
on May 21, 2014 at 12:43:35 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "A better alternative would be to not conflate cloud storage services and a DRM scheme. The desktop programs in Adobe Creative Cloud do not need cloud processing time to perform its core functions -- the programs run from the end-user's computer. The inability to retrieve remotely stored files on a temporary basis is preferable to being completely unable to use a program because of a critical failure in a database server."

Sums it up profoundly.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: techrepublic neatly explains why the creative cloud is a greedy incoherent controlling DRM mess.
on May 21, 2014 at 3:37:38 am

[Chris Pettit] "Sums it up profoundly."

Yep. This article nails it.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on May 21, 2014 at 3:56:34 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on May 21, 2014 at 3:57:42 am

Your previous posts regarding concerns about DRM are perfectly represented in this article David. Seems like a direct reflection of your thoughts

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 21, 2014 at 4:09:59 am

[Chris Pettit] "Your previous posts regarding concerns about DRM are perfectly represented in this article David. Seems like a direct reflection of your thoughts"

Thanks Chris, I'm glad the press is finally starting to recognize the forced CC licensing model for what it is.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 21, 2014 at 9:09:47 am

Not lucky about this "outage accident", but the good news of it: it has demonstrated what can happen (not only theoretical).
A catastrophe for online-editors for example.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2014 at 2:10:53 pm

Honor system. Adobe removes all DRM in exchange for the promise that if you stop subscribing you will uninstall the software.

Win-win, right?

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on May 21, 2014 at 4:06:52 pm

Excellent idea! Why DRM at all? Accutrans (3d model converter) licenses are based on the honour model. You get to download and use the product for 30 days. After that time you pay the license fee, and you receive a perpetual license. If you decide not to pay the license fee, you are obliged to remove the software of your machine.

Works for me. I was so impressed by this system, I paid the license fee twice when I purchased the software.

http://www.micromouse.ca/pricing.html

There are no update fees either for Accutrans. So far Zbrush users have never had to pay update fees either.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2014 at 4:13:58 pm

[Herbert van der wegen] "Works for me. I was so impressed by this system, I paid the license fee twice when I purchased the software."

Well, though you have to realize that there is a difference between paying $20 and paying $2599.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 21, 2014 at 6:35:45 pm

broader issues aside, you'd think they might consider doing something here - taking down the dailymail website for 24 hours is the kind of thing that gets noticed. It's the most popular news website in the world.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2012/jan/25/dailymail-internet

I think its also pretty funny that the article's core argument is effectively the one that david has been making here for a year. Which certain people have been studiously disregarding.

CC is an inappropriate application of DRM. I thought the article made that point extremely well. Its heartening to have smart people out in the world intellectually take adobe on for the mess they are potentially landing everyone in.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 21, 2014 at 8:28:13 pm

+++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]