FORUMS: list search recent posts

Daily Beast Article

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pettit
Daily Beast Article
on May 17, 2014 at 12:41:06 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on May 17, 2014 at 12:43:03 am

Please disperse. There's nothing to see here. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. The apps still work offline. Kind of.

"Adobe claims that their cloud apps will work offline as well. But many paying subscribers are finding themselves locked out."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/15/adobe-s-creative-cloud-goe...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Daily Beast Article
on May 17, 2014 at 1:08:41 am

[Chris Pettit] "But many paying subscribers are finding themselves locked out."

How many is "many"? What percentage of the Creative Cloud user base? I was on Premiere CC all day yesterday, didn't even notice anything. So was another individual I talked to today.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 17, 2014 at 1:16:03 am

[Gary Huff] "How many is "many"? What percentage of the Creative Cloud user base? I was on Premiere CC all day yesterday, didn't even notice anything. So was another individual I talked to today."

A lot more than you think Gary. Read the comments here:

https://www.facebook.com/adobecreativecloud

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on May 17, 2014 at 1:22:18 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on May 17, 2014 at 1:25:41 am

[Gary Huff] "
How many is "many"? What percentage of the Creative Cloud user base?"

With missing deadlines and loosing clients as a possible outcome, what percentage do you find acceptable?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 1:40:30 am

[Chris Pettit] "With missing deadlines and loosing clients as a possible outcome, what percentage do you find acceptable?"

What is the percentage of Apple Mac Pros or Dell/HP workstations that go down? That can result in missing deadlines and losing clients as well. Do you know the number? Was that number a part of your purchasing decision in whatever platform you picked to go with?

What is the typical uptime of Adobe Flash CS6? Did you research that? You know, just because it's not connected to the cloud doesn't mean software can't suddenly stop working. Crashing, instability, ect. You complain, but move on.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on May 17, 2014 at 1:58:14 am

[Gary Huff] "What is the percentage of Apple Mac Pros or Dell/HP workstations that go down?"

They don't go down all at once, worldwide. The industry doesn't come to a halt if my little 24 Core XEON workstation dies. And I can (and DO) protect myself by having backup workstations.

[Gary Huff] "What is the typical uptime of Adobe Flash CS6?"

Why do you keep mentioning Flash with me? Are you of the impression that I'm some kind of has-been Flash web designer? Are you aware that application development is just a small (albeit important) part of what I do for a living (NOT WEB- NOT WEB)?

I don't usually drag my website in to this discussion, but since you seem to think you know everything about my business maybe you should spend a quick moment assessing my total scope of work:

http://digitalskye.net/

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 2:01:19 am

[Chris Pettit] "They don't go down all at once, worldwide."

It wasn't down for everyone. Wasn't down for me, wasn't down for the other person I talked to today.

[Chris Pettit] "The industry doesn't come to a halt if my little 24 Core XEON workstation dies."

The "industry" came more to a halt from people going online to post about it than from anything else.

[Chris Pettit] "And I can (and DO) protect myself by having backup workstations."

Not everyone can have multiple workstations.

[Chris Pettit] "Why do you keep mentioning Flash with me? Are you of the impression that I'm some kind of has-been Flash web designer? Are you aware that application development is just a small (albeit important) part of what I do for a living (NOT WEB- NOT WEB)?"

You keep bitching about how people only talk about Premiere here. Was trying to be inclusive, but I guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on May 17, 2014 at 2:06:44 am

[Gary Huff] "You keep bitching about how people only talk about Premiere here. Was trying to be inclusive, but I guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?"

Yes, Gary you are doer of good deeds. Your goal was inclusiveness. Without doubt. Forgive my rudeness.

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on May 17, 2014 at 2:12:31 am

[Gary Huff] What is the percentage of Apple Mac Pros or Dell/HP workstations that go down? That can result in missing deadlines and losing clients as well. Do you know the number? Was that number a part of your purchasing decision in whatever platform you picked to go with?

What is the typical uptime of Adobe Flash CS6? Did you research that? You know, just because it's not connected to the cloud doesn't mean software can't suddenly stop working. Crashing, instability, ect. You complain, but move on.

What personal tragedy leaves you with so much pain?

With most anything, we can, and often do, have an appropriate amount of backup. Multiple computers. Extra keyboards, mice, hard drives, cables, Wacom pens, etc., at the ready. Servers and networks with redundancy built in. RAID 6, I can lose 2 drives before any data. Lose 3 drives, I have the backup from last night. The fiber run dies, spare lines left in the conduit. No messengers, send the receptionist in a cab. Missed FedEx, get a courier. VOIP system down, use your cell phone. But no matter how many computers I have CC installed on, if its that time of the month or I need one of the services they used to sell the cloud with, and I cant get on, Toast. Cold, dry toast. Move on indeed, Gary.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 2:51:22 am
Last Edited By Gary Huff on May 17, 2014 at 2:51:38 am

[Dino Sanacory] "What personal tragedy leaves you with so much pain?"

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't try to attribute what is bluntness to some kind of personal issue meant to dismiss my point.

[Dino Sanacory] "But no matter how many computers I have CC installed on, if its that time of the month or I need one of the services they used to sell the cloud with, and I cant get on,"

Highly unlikely. Again, myself and others in my circle were unaffected. Completely.

[Dino Sanacory] "Toast. Cold, dry toast. Move on indeed, Gary."

Not sure what that first half means, and no thanks on the second. You either have a point or you do not. And from here, you do not.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 17, 2014 at 6:54:00 am

[Gary Huff] "Highly unlikely. Again, myself and others in my circle were unaffected. Completely."

Well, I guess that settles it folks. One person and his friends out of 1.8 million customers were unaffected. Completely. Nothing to see here. Time to close this forum, shut up and move on. :P

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 11:36:16 am

[David Lawrence] "One person and his friends out of 1.8 million customers were unaffected."

How many people out of that 1.8 million were actually effected? How about instead of setting up a strawman you actually provide some numbers?

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on May 17, 2014 at 5:18:21 pm

[Gary Huff] "How many people out of that 1.8 million were actually effected? How about instead of setting up a strawman you actually provide some numbers?"

it is simple to insist on numbers no one has. if you lost a deadline or a customer you wouldn't talk like this i guess.

that there where people affected can be seen on the creative cloud facebook page and the simple fact that adobe offers compensation... maybe.

best regards
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts
http://www.floriansepp.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 17, 2014 at 5:32:27 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on May 17, 2014 at 5:33:04 pm

[Florian Sepp] "[Gary Huff] "How many people out of that 1.8 million were actually effected? How about instead of setting up a strawman you actually provide some numbers?"

it is simple to insist on numbers no one has. if you lost a deadline or a customer you wouldn't talk like this i guess."

I wouldn't be very anxious to broadcast the fact to current and potential clients that I had bought into a model for my business that was so poorly designed that I might not be able to reliably deliver their work on schedule. The idea that we will ever know a true number of those affected is the straw man here. A class action lawsuit by those who can actually prove financial loss or loss of clients would be a start at getting a handle on it. Glad I have no need to be involved, as I never bought into this mess.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 17, 2014 at 12:26:38 pm

Yes we should name him adobe apologist and give him a special forum.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 17, 2014 at 6:04:59 pm

Make that three, I too was happily unaffected and enjoyed all the new tools and functionality that Adobe CC provides me with :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 17, 2014 at 6:13:23 pm

Mads, tell that to the guy who lost $64,000 who posted on the Adobe Facebook page. If that had happened to you, you might not be so sanguine. $64K would pay for a lot of "functionality". Not to mention the people who reported loss of clients and future business due to this screw up.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 17, 2014 at 7:39:49 pm

I'd really like to hear the full story of how the guy managed to lose $64k over a one day outage. It sounds to me like some sort of litigious dream on his part. I in no way am trying to minimize the grief that CC users who did lose time and money experienced, but I really can't think of any way someone could lose that amount for such a blip. Let's say he missed a deadline - one day? - any good business man can alert the client and work around that, maybe agreeing to a slight reduction in the project cost if it was an embarrassment to the client. Just strikes me as one of those ambulance chasers who throws out a figure to see what he can get.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 17, 2014 at 9:18:02 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I'd really like to hear the full story of how the guy managed to lose $64k over a one day outage."

Same here. I do believe that some have lost clients and business over this but that much money in one day, not sure about that.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 17, 2014 at 9:43:59 pm

I do a lot of work for industry fairs, which are sometimes extremely expensive and time-critical.
There mostly is no possibility to change the deadline in any way.
If I can´t beat the deadline - it´s imaginable - that my clients can take me into account for that.
(They don´t have the brochures and other print-work on the booth, Trailer is missing, What ever...)
Up to an amount of 50K Euro (Belongs to the kind of company you have here in Ger).
I would avoid it hardly to let a deadline come as near, that one lost day means losing that money & a client.
But I can imagine, it could happen... But if, there must have been a risk before - with or without the Server-downtime.
I also wonder if the story is true.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 10:21:06 pm

[David Mathis] " I do believe that some have lost clients"

Oh, puhlease.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 17, 2014 at 10:40:19 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on May 17, 2014 at 10:44:38 pm

I used to do events in hotels here in Hawaii where you would do a wrap video of say, the best 500 Sony salesmen given an incentive vacation (actually did Sony once) and the whole thing was dependent on delivering that wrap video of every activity they did on island during that week. The Sony was a $50,000 payday. Caterpillar Tractor was $35,000. I could give you several more examples. Sony probably dropped several million dollars bringing those people over to Hawaii and putting them up in 4 star hotel. $64,000 for the video with todays costs would be chump change for a wrap video. It has to play the night of the final banquet, and if you don't deliver, you won't get paid. This is a very different ballgame from commercials or features, while time sensitive, are nothing like these kinds of deadlines. Finally got out of it because of that pressure. But it was lucrative. $25-$75,000 for 5 days of field shooting, the wrap video, and usually a 3 camera multi-cam of the big event.

I have no problem seeing someone in such a situation losing that kind of money for non-delivery.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 17, 2014 at 10:57:10 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on May 17, 2014 at 10:59:36 pm

It was more like fifteen or twenty gigs, Gary. Most I produced, usually the ones on Kauai, but I did a couple in Wailea, Maui (rooms $400 a night and up) with my own company. Others I shot one of the single cams and Technical Directed the multi cams for other production companies here, usually on Oahu, (Honolulu). And people still make that much doing these things. And no, I'm not sending you my complete resume. But I could throw out a few names, IBM, Mazda, Sony, Caterpillar, Pfizer, TransAmerica, etc. It is a big industry. Just have to trust me, they would not be happy if you said your editing system suddenly didn't work on a remote location where the next facility is 200 miles away across the ocean. Neither would the crew people you had hired, lighting rentals, projection, etc.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 17, 2014 at 11:19:11 pm

Whether the story is true or not, I could definitely see myself in that position doing large event video. I will continue to look for the post, but if Adobe had any say on the site (I have been on several including their Facebook) it could have been removed. They have a habit of that on their Forums. I definitely saw the post and the figure. In the type of event production I described, I could easily imagine being on the hook for that much, whether this guy was playing the situation or not, I certainly can't determine. But I can easily see that it could be possible. It could have been me.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 11:37:10 pm

There is a loser who is spamming every post on Adobe's FB page. If they haven't removed that, they probably haven't removed others.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 8:17:31 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Mads, tell that to the guy who lost $64,000 who posted on the Adobe Facebook page."

Relevant.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 17, 2014 at 8:59:51 pm

Hey Jim,

[Jim Wiseman] "Mads, tell that to the guy who lost $64,000 who posted on the Adobe Facebook page."

Does this "guy" have a name and a real profile on Facebook? Have you actually read the post? (i.e. I would love to have the link)

If one had truly lost $64K would Facebook be the first place to post about it, or would you not have called Adobe and asked for the address of their legal department and the office of the CEO? I would.

But as it is, I happily continued with my day and lost no work, no money and no happiness over what I didn't know existed until it appeared on a Cow forum that I follow daily (Not this one).

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]