FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere Pro CC licensing

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jurgis Rudaks
Adobe Premiere Pro CC licensing
on May 13, 2014 at 5:33:42 pm

Hello,
i work at little regional TV station, we have one workstation wich are used by 4 people. The question is - can we use Creative Cloud single-app plan — annual (http://www.adobe.com/lv/products/premiere/buying-guide.html) plan for our workstation?

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC licensing
on May 13, 2014 at 6:34:14 pm

Which single app? If its premiere why would your company rent when you can own edius or fcpx? If you want to rent, avid has a better offer where unlilke adobe you can keep thel software after you end subscription.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 14, 2014 at 3:03:19 pm

To me, a subscription only model can be a big expense over the long term for a small business. At some point there will be a price increase. How much and when is hard to predict. Others might not agree with me on this. The other reason I am reluctant to join is no exit strategy. To me, having one is extremely important.

When you invest in the stock market it is best to have an exit strategy unless you really enjoy playing a high risk game knowing you could lose your shirt at any minute. Just my two cents, whatever it is worth.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 14, 2014 at 3:57:24 pm

[David Mathis] "The other reason I am reluctant to join is no exit strategy. To me, having one is extremely important."

You are responsible for your own exit strategy.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 14, 2014 at 5:32:56 pm

Since you seem to have this whole CC business figured out to the point where you're quite the authority on it, here's a question:

If, as you say, each user is responsible for his/her own exit strategy, what would be YOUR exit strategy?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 15, 2014 at 10:12:36 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "what would be YOUR exit strategy?"

Not that it matters a whit at all, but my "exit" strategy is a ProRes master render, and if I really needed to be able to open up that old project (and I don't normally), then an FCP7 XML export of the project.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2014 at 11:34:57 pm

Oh, so you just edit video. That's handy to know.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2014 at 12:35:29 am

[Dave LaRonde] "Oh, so you just edit video. That's handy to know."

Not sure how you got that little nugget, but you're wrong.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2014 at 5:25:52 pm

Ah, that's also good to know.

You've kindly shared your exit strategy for ONE Adobe product -- Premiere Pro -- for which there is a pretty simple way to exchange information with competing applications. In other words, you chose the low-hanging fruit for your example of an exit strategy. So low it almost scrapes on the ground.

As you may know, Adobe makes other applications. A whole suite of them, in fact.

Since you may use some of them from time to time, and considering your expertise in this matter, would you now be so kind as to describe your exit strategy for them? After Effects, perhaps? Another Adobe app that creates a project file? I'd be interested to see if you choose Audition and OMF's, another piece of low-hanging fruit.

Since an individual's responsibility to form an exit strategy has come from none other than an impeccable source as yourself, you need one that works for ALL the applications you use. Otherwise, you don't HAVE a viable exit strategy and your "everyone's responsible for their own exit strategy" is a mere platitude.

You may also be implying that you take your lumps upon exit from Adobe CC, that's just your tough luck, so suck it up and quit whining about it.

The alternative is not to get involved in Creative Cloud in the first place, because once you go beyond that subscription Event Horizon, there's no escape from the Black Hole that is Adobe CC.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2014 at 7:35:01 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "After Effects, perhaps?"

An export of the project with an Alpha channel in a supported mastering codec. Perhaps multiple exports with different layers depending on desire for changeability.

[Dave LaRonde] "Another Adobe app that creates a project file?"

Weird, I would have thought you could be more specific than that.

[Dave LaRonde] " I'd be interested to see if you choose Audition and OMF's, another piece of low-hanging fruit."

Not sure why you would pick Audition. That's really easy to deal with considering it's audio.

[Dave LaRonde] "Since an individual's responsibility to form an exit strategy has come from none other than an impeccable source as yourself, you need one that works for ALL the applications you use."

So because I, Gary Huff, said that your exit strategy should be yours to come up with, then that requires me to come up with a solution for all the applications I use? How does that follow exactly? Just because it's me? Where is it written that Adobe is required to handhold you through an exit strategy? Do you have a legal ground to stand on? No? Then what is your damn point?

[Dave LaRonde] Otherwise, you don't HAVE a viable exit strategy and your "everyone's responsible for their own exit strategy" is a mere platitude."

Platitude: "a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful."

I can't recall a "you're responsible for your own exit strategy" to be a comment that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful. I surmise that you read a comment from myself that used that word, and, without fully grasping the meaning, decided to throw it back at me, with a smug look of satisfaction as you sat back with arms crossed and a, "That'll show him!"

At least, that's what I surmise.

However, if that was the case, your sad attempt at doing so doesn't have much effect. It's no more a platitude than telling someone they are responsible for their own home finances, and not the bank with which they have their checking account.

I have no on-going projects that I need absolute ability to be able to re-open. I render out a master file format from which newer web exports can be derived. In my case, it is ProRes LT (for a lot of my older projects are DSLR/DVCPRO HD based and thus don't gain much from anything more robust). I have a lot of the original project files, some of which are Final Cut Pro 7, which would require an "exit strategy" of having a Mac-based system around that can run an OS that will be able to open it. Mavericks works fine for at least opening FCP7 (not sure about using it as I have avoided it), but what about 10.10? I work with maintaining a studio who never went to 7, and is still on 6, and is migrating over to new Mac Pros with Mavericks and can barely get 6 on them. Is it Apple's responsibility to provide an "exit strategy" for them, or is it theirs? If it's Apple's, then one is not going to happen, so can you sue over it? No? Then, again, what is your point?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 13, 2014 at 8:01:44 pm

Yes, you could use the single-application subscription for that work-station.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 13, 2014 at 9:46:20 pm

...and I hope you're trying out different editing applications to see which one works best for your situation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 14, 2014 at 10:30:12 pm

The reason I recommend trying a lot of them is because you'll want to find an editor that works well with the footage that will be shot, and the kind of editing it will do.

For example, if you're editing daily news topicals, you want something that will work with the footage shot by the news photographers with NO messing around involved. If you have to transcode and otherwise fiddle-fart around just to start cutting, you're putting yourself at a BIG disadvantage.

When the footage you need arrives at the station at 3:45 and your first topical for the 5 o'clock show airs at 4:20, you can't afford to jump through a half-dozen hoops just to start cutting and then exporting.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tyler Wiethorn
on May 15, 2014 at 4:34:25 am

[Dave LaRonde] "you want something that will work with the footage shot by the news photographers with NO messing around involved"

Sounds like you've described Premier perfectly. Although I think you would be hard pressed to find something that doesn't play well with the footage coming off most ENG cameras made in the last 10 years. Generally if an NLE is going to barf up some footage, it will be H264, not a format ENG cameras typically deliver.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 15, 2014 at 1:04:28 pm

Although there are alternatives to Premiere Pro, the question was quite specifically aimed at Premiere Pro. The broadcast station I worked at for fourteen years went through Edit*, AVID Newscutter, and ultimately went with Premiere Pro because it was the best tool for the fast turnaround world of broadcast news.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2014 at 5:36:32 pm

Yeah, Joe, but they didn't give a whole lot of information about their operation; it sounds like it's a really small station: one seat of an editing application for multiple users, and that's all we know.

Who knows what they're shooting, or what they do with the footage they're cutting? I think you'd agree those are two pretty important considerations, and since they haven't said anything, we're kinda flying blind here.

For all we know right now, Edius or Vegas may be a better choice. I hope these guys decide to chime in again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 15, 2014 at 5:46:37 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Who knows what they're shooting, or what they do with the footage they're cutting? I think you'd agree those are two pretty important considerations, and since they haven't said anything, we're kinda flying blind here. For all we know right now, Edius or Vegas may be a better choice. I hope these guys decide to chime in again."

The original poster asked a technical question about Creative Cloud licensing.

The original poster did not ask for advice choosing an NLE, but that hasn't stopped a few people here generally opposed to Creative Cloud from offering some unsolicited advice about choosing anything BUT Premiere Pro -- despite the fact that, as you say, we don't know much about their situation.

Jurgis, you've stumbled into a forum that is somewhat unique on the COW. It's a pretty contentious place where people debate (argue? bicker?) the Creative Cloud model.

In the future, if you're looking for more opinion-neutral, constructive support, you'll find it in the Premiere Pro forum [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2014 at 6:26:33 pm

Walter Soyka: "...The original poster asked a technical question about Creative Cloud licensing."

Yup, he sure did. I also know that people sometimes post questions in the wrong forum. Glad you directed him to the Premiere Pro forum.

I just thought I'd offer up some caveats here, ones that I've had to consider after a couple-three years or so at TV stations... okay, more than a couple-three years. You know, things they may not have considered.

All the more reason for the OP to go to the Premiere forum, or to offer up additional information here.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]