FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe 2014 Q1

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Adobe 2014 Q1
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:12:41 pm

http://www.adobe.com/news-room/pressreleases/201403/031814Q1FY2014results.h...
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/investor-rela...

"Adobe exited Q1 with 1 million 844 thousand paid Creative Cloud subscriptions, an increase of 405 thousand when compared to the number of subscriptions as of the end of Q4 fiscal year 2013."

… from the "script" (second link, pdf):
"Creative subscription reported revenue exceeding perpetual licensing revenue for the first time … In addition, we are offering incentives to accelerate migration of Creative Suite customers, acquire new creative customers, and further expand in the photography market. Retention and renewal rates after promotions expire continue to track ahead of our internal projections. The resulting Average Revenue Per User, or ARPU, was lower in Q1 as expected."
[…]
"As a result of Creative Cloud success across teams and enterprises, we will soon end general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel. This decision is consistent with our comments last December when we stated we expected no material revenue from perpetual licensing of CS6 in the second half of fiscal 2014."

PremiumBeat seem to have additional info (though I can't find the source for it):

"Adobe also stated that they plan on launching an exciting new offering to their creative cloud subscribers which should be released later this year. The offering is expected to be “so strong that CS6 will look longer in the tooth” says Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen."

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/adobe-creative-cloud-subscribers-reach-an-a...

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Adobe 2014 Q1
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:58:57 pm

After reading that article Adobe is no longer an option. Not sure what they have in the works but I am not interested.

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:34:18 pm

Adobe Creative Cloud has worked well for us. Glad to see they will be adding more stuff. I know it's not for everyone, but for us it's been great.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,Fl.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:36:24 pm
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:42:13 pm

Profits are still down. Discounts still being offered. Officially, Adobe predicted that this would be the case, that they would eventually get back to previous levels of profitability over time.

While continually offering discounts that's not possible. Eventually discounts and introductory offers will have to end, or worse they will have to start increasing subscription rates, particularly if many of those subscribers are only paying $10 for PS. Then what? A lot of smart people at Adobe, they may know exactly what they are doing, but we shall see.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 19, 2014 at 7:11:54 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:29:18 pm

This would make me happy:
A one time payment for a lifetime subscription, then for an additional (reasonable) fee on monthly or annual basis, one can get a more frequent update schedule along with some other benefits.
Love to hear feedback on this idea, please and thank you.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 19, 2014 at 11:38:34 pm

[David Mathis] "A one time payment for a lifetime subscription, then for an additional (reasonable) fee on monthly or annual basis, one can get a more frequent update schedule along with some other benefits."

OK, based on what CC includes, you are talking about Master Collection pricing, which was $2600. Based on a premium for some sort of lifetime buyout, you're probably talking about $3-$5,000 PLUS a subscription. Let's say that might be an additional $100-200/year. Are you prepared to pay that?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 20, 2014 at 12:08:55 am

Before that cloud desaster I would have payed at once for all seats I own - no question (as I already owned Master Coll. which are nearby 3000 here in Germany).
Meanwhile not.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 20, 2014 at 12:42:00 am

You do raise a valid point. I would not mind paying a higher premium for a lifetime membership but an additional fee would be a bit much. At least Adobe will continue selling CS6, so all is not bad. My only real concern is no clear exit strategy. That is what I fear the most. Should a buyout option be included in the subscription price I would seriously consider subscribing. I do like Adobe products, it is the current business model that I am having a hard time accepting. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 20, 2014 at 12:55:54 am

[David Mathis] "At least Adobe will continue selling CS6, so all is not bad."

Unfortunately this is a short-term solution. If you are an independent user, it probably doesn't matter. I'm sure the apps will continue to work for several years, even as computers and OSs change. The flip side is that if you have to interchange projects with others or buy stock items like AE templates, you are going to encounter projects that you have to deal with, which come from newer CC versions. Or templates that only work with AE CC. Then you are stuck.

As I type this, an interesting thought struck me. Recently a client bought some stock AE templates from Videohive and those are only compatible with specific AE versions and up. So if you have AE CS5, but the template is for AE CS6, it won't run. With the new CC model, version numbers are "hidden", but not actually gone. Therefore, are we going to run into issues of CC compatibility, too.

AE CC is actually AE version 12. When the next big update comes around, it will still be called AE CC, when in fact it will be AE version 13. I would presume there will be a compatibility issue there, too. I don't know the answer, but it's an interesting quandary.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 20, 2014 at 2:15:51 am

[Oliver Peters] " I would presume there will be a compatibility issue there, too. I don't know the answer, but it's an interesting quandary."

Actually this has been brought up before, albeit by people like myself who are not currently subscribing.

In all fairness, how will this be handled in the future for CC subscribers? I wonder if Todd or anyone else at Adobe are in a position to address it at this stage.

Is so, thanks in advance, I'm interested even though I don't subscribe.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 20, 2014 at 5:42:09 pm

Version numbers are no more "hidden" now than they have ever been.

After Effects CS6 was After Effects 11.0. After Effects CC was After Effects 12.x.

We show the version number in the splash screen, the About box, and lots of other places.

This isn't changing.

If we were to go to a new numbering scheme at some time in the future, we'd still make the details about specific versions as clearly available as possible.

BTW, here's the current information about what versions can open what, et cetera:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/01/opening-after-effects-projects-...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 20, 2014 at 7:22:35 pm

I think the question is what comes next, Creative Cloud 2? Or will it stay Creative Cloud and people will just go back to referring to programs by their individual version number as opposed to their CS (and now CC) version number which became common short hand.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 20, 2014 at 7:25:55 pm

> I think the question is what comes next, Creative Cloud 2? Or will it stay Creative Cloud and people will just go back to referring to programs by their individual version number as opposed to their CS (and now CC) version number which became common short hand.

I promise to answer that question the moment I can.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:49:16 pm

what would profits look like if they where not still selling cs6,10 dollar ssubscriptions or the 40% off,

Ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:09:43 pm

The "great success" is based on nothing than Adobes own estimations.
Their revenue is sinking, while their amount of subscribers is bigger than estimated.
Huh?
Never ending discounts, discounts, discounts...
News in late 2014?
3D Software included (Cinema 4D) and a 25-50% Price increase?
(where is the emergency-exit for those who build their projects on CC-Software? Nowhere? No way than accepting?)
Think, they will find the right words to sell it like an advantage again.

First time stock markets answered negatively (-1,5% actual) on their quarterly pink sugar glossy half-truth arguments.
Everyone who reads their minimalistic business reports carefully must come to the conclusion, that CC will only work (financial successful) with higher fees.
No question, they are in the phase, where they have to create a massive stock of subscribers.
Once they are completed (mid/end of the year, when they plan to stop selling CS) - Prices will rise. I have no doubt about.

The only good news in late 2014 would be: We implemented an serious buyout.
But I´m totally assure - we will never hear that.

Isn´t it interesting, that it´s the first quarter, where the income of Adobe is more based on CC than on sales of a years old CS?
(...as Adobe wants to make us believe, we - the customers - like it soooo much ...2-Star rating on german Amazon)

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:08:13 pm

I have seen a lot of misunderstanding of one part of this, so I want to clarify:

The "general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel" refers to resellers. We are still selling---and will continue to sell---perpetual licenses for CS6 applications and suites through Adobe.com.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:26:38 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "I have seen a lot of misunderstanding of one part of this, so I want to clarify:

The "general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel" refers to resellers. We are still selling---and will continue to sell---perpetual licenses for CS6 applications and suites through Adobe.com."

That is good news!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 19, 2014 at 10:21:47 pm

Is there a timeline on any new updates to AE or PP CS6?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 19, 2014 at 10:48:16 pm

> Is there a timeline on any new updates to AE or PP CS6?

I can only speak for After Effects, since that is the team that I'm on. We're thinking about doing an After Effects CS6 (11.0.5) update sometime around May/June to fix at least two bugs. First, we need to finish another project that we're working on right now. No promises, but that is our current thinking.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 19, 2014 at 11:07:40 pm

Thanks!

In case you talk to the Premiere people, here are couple of issues.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/951327

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/951291

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 19, 2014 at 11:16:43 pm

> In case you talk to the Premiere people...

Yes, of course. We're part of the same team. I just meant that I don't make the plans for Premiere Pro like I do for After Effects.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 20, 2014 at 12:01:36 am

[Todd Kopriva] "The "general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel" refers to resellers. We are still selling---and will continue to sell---perpetual licenses for CS6 applications and suites through Adobe.com."

Thanks again Todd, good to hear. One thing I think is true, a lot of people, myself included, will want to still be able to purchase additional licenses for CS6 if they need it in the future to expand workflow. It would be counter productive for Adobe to close that door I think.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Mar 20, 2014 at 6:48:47 pm

Any company moving to a subscription model knows they will take a short-term financial hit. That seems to be playing out. But Adobe didn't move to CC to lose money. Nor is raising the price the only way they can make it more profitable. The Creative Cloud certainly benefits consumers financially, but it has to benefit Adobe as well. The money Adobe is saving by moving to the subscription model is much more substantial than people realize.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 21, 2014 at 12:13:43 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Mar 21, 2014 at 12:41:28 am

[Paul Neumann] "Any company moving to a subscription model knows they will take a short-term financial hit. That seems to be playing out. But Adobe didn't move to CC to lose money."

Agreed. They're gambling that they will make more money over time. A lot of smart people think it's a good gamble, and I'm not qualified to say they're wrong. But it IS a gamble.

[Paul Neumann] " Nor is raising the price the only way they can make it more profitable"

How? Would you agree that there are a finite number of consistent potential subscribers? If so, how do they ultamatly get profits back up without raising prices? Sincere question.

[Paul Neumann] "The Creative Cloud certainly benefits consumers financially,"

I've always had trouble with this one. Like renting cars. Short term, sure. This is not to say there aren't other reasons that subscriptions benefit some users. But long term subscribers pay out more money and have no control over when they pay out that money. The only other argument I can think of is amortizing payments out over time, but that is negated by the discounts offered by paying annually. So how is it beneficial to consumers exactly?

[Paul Neumann] "The money Adobe is saving by moving to the subscription model is much more substantial than people realize."

I would confess that I'm at a loss here. How are they saving money? Less tech support? Not a chance. Take a look at the forums and FB page. Online subscriptions appear to require enormous resources, and are pushing the quality of the tech support below where it was before, which is a scary proposition because Adobe tech support has been bad for a very long time. Less advertising and marketing? No, I'm buried. Every time I open a web page there's my buddy the Adobe CC banner ad. Are you referencing not having to ship discs? Most of us have gone to downloads of Adobe software a long time ago. Surely that savings was realized a while back. The only thing remaining that I can think of is not developing for dual paths (PL and CC). But prior to the existence of CC that was not the case, so how has the migration to CC saved them money in that regard?

Profits are down. It they are saving money, how come they're making less of it?:

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21599370-adobes-bold-embrace-computi...

I'm not denying by any means the possibility that Adobe won't eventually demonstrate that this was one smart move for them. But the evidence so far is no where near enough to know.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 21, 2014 at 3:04:22 am
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on Mar 21, 2014 at 3:14:51 am

Hi Chris

Total agree.
Additional to the curves above: Q1/14 was the first Quarter, when the profit was based more on CC than on CS...
(Means: Rest of the diagram, complete left side - most of the income/profit was mostly based on selling Perpetual licenses!!!)
They are gambling. Exactly.
And I wonder why and how long Wall Street is ignoring facts here.
Also interesting to compare the net income to the (may 13) estimated revenue model...

Also interesting...
Only 1,290 ths (70%) of their actual 1,844 ths cloud users are full paying - rest are users of single products (photoshopers with discounts ?)
That means: They only added less than 200,000 new full (product) paying users through the last Quarter (76% of 1,439 = 1,093).
Trend of quarterly added full paid subscriptions: already downwards.
Most of these users are caught by discounts for years (Enterprises between 2-3 years).
(They had 12 Million users of perpetual licenses before the CashCow desaster...!)

So, indeed: Adobe really saving money?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:12:12 am

[Rainer Schubert] "Only 1,290 ths (70%) of their actual 1,844 ths cloud users are full paying - rest are users of single products (photoshopers with discounts ?)
That means: They only added less than 200,000 new full (product) paying users through the last Quarter (76% of 1,439 = 1,093).
Trend of quarterly added full paid subscriptions: already downwards."

Hi Rainer, good to hear from you. More data, always good.

One thing I'll point out is that perceived value and actual value don't always match up in the investment world. Wall Street has always valued Microsoft not on it's actual value, but on it's potential value over time. That's the game with investment. Wall street is clearly banking on the potential value equation with Adobe, and that's fine. The graphs that you and I have shown are very relevant, but frankly don't prove anything. They are simply opportunities to question subscription orthodoxy. The trends that you have shown are eye-opening, but ultimately time will tell if they represent true trends or anomalies...

The most important point at the moment I feel is to simply ask the question:Are subscription based software models truly profitable and ultimately popular with consumers over time?. Will "subscription-only" stand up over time?

One things for sure, simply declaring it so doesn't make it so.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 21, 2014 at 2:14:40 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:14:05 pm

[Paul Neumann] "The Creative Cloud certainly benefits consumers financially, but it has to benefit Adobe as well."

Must respectfully disagree with you on this one. Over the short term, this could be beneficial. Over the long term, it becomes expensive not beneficial. Another perspective on this is some type of investment, like a mutual fund. Over the short term there are some benefits but long term it gets to be expensive. Do you want to pay a somewhat higher fee up front, or pay a smaller amount over the long term? For me, the answer is very simple: I prefer to pay the higher cost up front so over the long term the savings can be realized. As long as the price structure is reasonable and fair, no problem with it.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:14:44 pm

Absolutely exactly.
There is no advantage to pay monthly.

You can do whatever Math you want - the monthly fee is more expensive than the previous prices.
There are very few users who can use the complete suite in a professional manner. Most don´t need it.
Discussed here again and again.
After a short time (3-5 years) you have paid a lot more than in the past with one of the (always updated) Creative Suites.
(&: you can use it as long as you are able to, can sell it after you don´t need it any longer)
Only the former Master Collection license owner (which are a very small part of users in total) will have to wait 11 years until they paid more with CC.

"Sparing money" with the monthly payment simply not true (or only for a very, very small part of users, who want to use it only on request/a few month a year)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:35:40 pm

Would a three year plan with the option to buyout after the three years is up be of value? I would be very happy to see this as an option. The only thing keeping me from subscribing is no exit strategy. I do not mind paying a reasonable annual membership fee as long as their as an option to get a permanent license. That is the only reason I am not subscribing at the moment. Sorry for droning on about this.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 22, 2014 at 11:59:47 pm

Drone on. I subscribed for a year at 29.99. I was almost re-subscribed at 49.99 a year. These people have no shame and they ought to be ashamed of themselves. But they are not. Do the math. Perpetual subscriptions win for the consumer.

Tim

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 23, 2014 at 1:57:20 pm

I agree.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:27:27 pm

I'd actually want the exact opposite, I buy a program/package, and subscribe as long as the benefits, updates new features are improving my business. If the updates and add-ons no longer are improving my bottom line, I opt out---at the level I invested.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 25, 2014 at 3:02:09 pm

[John Cuevas] "I'd actually want the exact opposite, I buy a program/package, and subscribe as long as the benefits, updates new features are improving my business. If the updates and add-ons no longer are improving my bottom line, I opt out---at the level I invested."

I assume you mean get a permanent license of the software after you cancel your subscription, as in some type of buyout option? I would not mind doing that either. I just like the idea of having a permanent license in case something does go wrong and have the ability to go back to a version that does work. Nothing worse then upgrading to something "new and improved" and then something goes wrong only to realize you cannot go back to a previous update. That is my two cents.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:04:38 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:15:53 pm

it seems like Adobe is going to limit its cs6 perpetual license sometime late 2014. They don't say but probably they will limit it to subscribers or include it as a value added gimmick too increase its subscriber base.

Ricardo Marty

ps I wonder how many of 70% full cloud subscribers had been production premium only users.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:12:31 pm

> it seems like Adobe is going to limit its cs6 perpetual license sometime late 2014

That is not correct. Please explain why you think this. Is it because you misunderstood the recent announcement that CS6 would not be sold through channel resellers starting soon? If so, note that this does not apply to sales of CS6 software through Adobe.com. We are selling CS6 perpetually licensed software through Adobe.com now and will be for quite some time.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:47:10 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on Mar 25, 2014 at 6:40:20 pm

...will be for some undefined time

Today Mr John Wornock (a founder of Adobe - as far as I know) sold out 50.000 shares (and now owns at least 16.088). Think, he had tears in his eyes.
( article and there were tremendous insider selling the last month also)
Adobe has to do all possible to press users into it´s so called "cloud".
Nothing against you as a person, but radically against Adobe: Latest since they told us, we have to update to CS6 because it´s the last "upgradeable" version (what simply was a lie - there will never be a CS7), Adobe isn´t a serious company any longer (not only in my eyes).
They can tell what ever they want about their great business success: Amount of additional subscribers per quarter is already sinking. Income/profit too.
So, whatever they will announce (their business reporting at Mar 18) in late 2014 - I believe there will be higher fees also.
And to bomb the bridges for those, who want a reliable solution they can count on... a lifetime... they will stop CS. I bet.
It´s simply logical, following their "customer friendly" No Buyout-Strategy.
Again: Nothing against you as a helpful person here on the cow. And nothing against you as one developer of great tools - thanks for your (and your colleagues) work over the last decades.
My concern is against a company (a strategy) one can not trust any longer.
May be the day will come, when digital imaging isn´t called "photoshoping" any longer.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Adobe to limit cs6 availability
on Mar 25, 2014 at 7:01:15 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Mar 25, 2014 at 7:10:35 pm

This article states what wrote.(sorry for some reason the copy paste did not work well but the link will take you there)

http://marketrealist.com/2014/03/adobe-end-general-availability-cs6-perpetu...

Adobe to end general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing
By Puneet Sikka • Mar 24, 2014 2:24 pm EDT • ADBE • GOOG • MSFT • ORCL • SAP

Continued from Part 1: Better than expected results for Adobe: Focus on Cloud offerings

Adobe’s Creative Cloud subscriptions increasing at a fast rate

Adobe (ADBE) announced its Q1 2014 earnings recently, in which it mentioned that it now has over 1.8 million subscriptions for its Creative Cloud offerings. The number of subscriptions have seen a fast increase over the last few quarters for Adobe and have increased steadily from 0.49 million in 1Q 2013 to 1.84 million in 1Q 2014. With this achievement, the company hit the milestone where Creative Cloud revenue from subscriptions exceeded the revenue from the traditional perpetual licensing for the first time. As a result of the Creative Cloud’s success, Adobe plans to move completely toward subscription-based offering, and end the traditional CS6 perpetual licensing offering.

Adobe Creative Cloud SubscriptionsEnlarge GraphAdobe looks to tap the booming cloud services market

Adobe’s move to shift its focus completely toward cloud offerings has its motivation from the booming cloud services market. The cloud services market is one of the fastest growing industry. According to IDC, the market will increase from $47.4 billion in 2013 to $107 billion by 2014, at a compounded average growth rate of 23.5%, five times that of the overall IT industry. Not only Adobe, almost all companies in the Enterprise software market are looking to tap the boom. Google (GOOG), SAP (SAP), Oracle (ORCL), and Microsoft (MSFT) have increased their cloud offerings too.

“As a result of Creative Cloud success across teams and enterprises, we will soon end general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel. This decision is consistent with our comments last December when we stated we expected no material revenue from perpetual licensing of CS6 in the second half of fiscal 2014. We anticipate this change will align channel resellers to exclusively focus on Creative Cloud for team subscriptions.”

Adobe to focus exclusively on cloud offerings

During the conference call to announce the 1Q earnings, Mark Garrett, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer mentioned, “In our Creative business, customer adoption of Creative Cloud grew quarter-over-quarter. We exited Q1 with 1.844 million paid Creative Cloud individual and team subscriptions. With this achievement, we hit a milestone, where Q1 reported Creative revenue from subscriptions and ETLAs exceeded reported revenue from perpetual licensing for the first time.”

“As a result of Creative Cloud success across teams and enterprises, we will soon end general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel. This decision is consistent with our comments last December when we stated we expected no material revenue from perpetual licensing of CS6 in the second half of fiscal 2014. We anticipate this change will align channel resellers to exclusively focus on Creative Cloud for team subscriptions.”
Adobe to focus exclusively on cloud offerings

During the conference call to announce the 1Q earnings, Mark Garrett, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer mentioned, “In our Creative business, customer adoption of Creative Cloud grew quarter-over-quarter. We exited Q1 with 1.844 million paid Creative Cloud individual and team subscriptions. With this achievement, we hit a milestone, where Q1 reported Creative revenue from subscriptions and ETLAs exceeded reported revenue from perpetual licensing

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Adobe to limit cs6 availability
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:33:32 pm

That article is an analyst making an overgeneralization from the actual statement from the Adobe person, which was just a statement about channel resellers' sales of CS6 software.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:44:24 pm

Correct me if i am wrong. The article is quoting a high adobe officer mr. Garret.cfo.

Ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:57:06 pm

Yes, but you actually need to read the quote carefully, since Mark was using salesman-speak to refer to a very specific thing:

"[W]e will soon end general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel."

This refers very explicitly to only channel resellers.

I understand that the terminology may not be familiar to everyone, but trust me when I say that this has absolutely no bearing on direct sales of CS6 perpetual licenses through Adobe.com.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Mike Chambers
on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:26:42 pm

The title and information in that article is flat out wrong (we have reached out to the author to correct it).

We are discontinuing sales of CS6 from our volume licensing programs. CS6 will continue to be available for purchase via Electronic Software Download (ESD) on adobe.com.

A couple of relevant items from the CS6 FAQ:
http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html

Can I purchase a perpetual license for Creative Suite 6?
-------
Yes. CS6 suite editions and individual products are available for purchase via Electronic Software Delivery (ESD) on Adobe.com. Customers must pay with a credit card and will receive an individual serial number and download instructions.

For how long will Adobe continue to sell Creative Suite 6?
-------
We plan to sell Creative Suite 6 for use on supported platforms indefinitely.

Does Adobe offer volume licensing for CS6?
-------
Effective June 1, we are making Creative Cloud the exclusive source for all creative licensing. This means that CS6 will no longer be available under our Cumulative and Transactional licensing programs (CLP and TLP). All other Adobe products available under volume licensing, such as Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Presenter, will be unaffected by this change.

CS6 will continue to be available for purchase via Electronic Software Download (ESD) on adobe.com.

Hope that helps clarify any confusion from the article.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:30:16 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Mike.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Mar 26, 2014 at 2:09:31 am

Cant argue with that. But i will keep the article and your response for future reference.

Thanks

Ricardo marty

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:10:55 pm

Thank you for clearing things up. Very much appreciated. I have a question in regards to Photoshop CS6, currently have CS5 on my system. What information will I need in order to upgrade to CS6, and will there still be the upgrade price? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:24:06 pm

Sorry, but I don't know details of upgrade pricing and other sales details like that.

The most that I can do for that question is to point you to the Adobe Store page:
http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_s...

If you go through the "Buy" workflow, you can see how the price changes depending on what upgrade options you choose.

You can contact Adobe Customer Service for questions like this.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:52:10 pm

US-Upgrade Price CS5 -> CS6 Photoshop only = 199¢
you only need your CS5 Serial Nr & a Credit Card (a little bit trust to give it to Adoe & if you already have one - your Adobe ID)
It´s a little bit tricky to find the upgrade, because there only is a "BUY" Button (they have hidden very well, those "serious" marketing guis of Adobe).
You have to click on "buy" first, before you can see the choice to "update"!
Think we have to klick on "create" before we find the "delete" in the future. Like the shutdown behind the start in WIN. Same philosophy.

CS6 Products Page

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:40:03 pm

When you just corrected the author...
He is referencing Adobe in a row with cloud business of oracle, sap...
That´s simply misleading! adobes "cloud" is a marketing fake - nothing else - while the others offer (real) cloud services and/or computing.
There is nearby nothing, that justifies the comparison between Adobes cloud named marketing gag and real cloud services.
(a little bit online-storage, you get anywhere for zero, isn´t cloud-computing)
But I think those articles are made to mislead some clueless people... or?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:58:39 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:05:08 am

[Rainer Schubert] "He is referencing Adobe in a row with cloud business of oracle, sap..."

I just read through the article. Doesn't this tell you that the author didn't understand? That would tend to make his other statements suspect.

This quote here - "customers can now use its Creative Cloud service, which offers the same applications (plus a few additional ones) online" - should also throw up a flag, since the applications are NOT online. This implies a Google Docs type of service.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:06:03 am

Tru

But the comparison of cloud computing is misleading.
While the wrong citation may do the opposite.
(Btw: Adobe will find ways to make CS useless with new OS and file incompatibilities. May be they will sell like FreeHand till the end of time. Who knows)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:09:13 am

And from the earlier linked article: "Adobe’s move to shift its focus completely toward cloud offerings has its motivation from the booming cloud services market. The cloud services market is one of the fastest growing industry. " An equally clueless statement.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:15:18 am

[Rainer Schubert] "Btw: Adobe will find ways to make CS useless with new OS and file incompatibilities. May be they will sell like FreeHand till the end of time. Who knows"

That's not under Adobe's control. Merely if they don't add support updates. You are implying that Adobe will purposefully do things to damage its users. I do not believe that's the case. And yes, after awhile that will inevitably happen, just because OSs move on. But that's true of every software vendor. I have a 1st gen iPad. Plenty of newer apps and updates won't run on it. And I have plenty of older software that will no longer run on my desktop MP and laptop MBP because of the PPC to Intel shift.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:24:24 am

I know that I've said this a few times, so forgive me for repeating myself---but it appears that some folks either haven't heard me or don't believe me:

It's odd to see accusations about us abandoning people on CS6 or doing something to cripple it, especially when just today (as most days) I was working on a bug fix that we hope to get into a CS6 update sometime this spring. This regards an issue introduced by Mavericks.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:29:30 am

[Todd Kopriva] "It's odd to see accusations about us abandoning people on CS6 or doing something to cripple it, especially when just today (as most days) I was working on a bug fix that we hope to get into a CS6 update sometime this spring. This regards an issue introduced by Mavericks."

Thank you. And don't lose heart. It's a tough room.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:28:11 pm

Good to hear, thank you for keeping us posted and putting up with us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]