FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cancellation of CC subscription

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Swets
Cancellation of CC subscription
on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:37:10 pm

Early January I posted that I would cancel my subscription in April.
I was not clear whether there is a deadline to avoid automatic renewal. So, I had a chat with "Jim" in customer service

You are now chatting with 'Jim'
Jim: Hello! Welcome to Adobe Customer Service.
Jim: Hi Hans.
Hans Swets: Hello Jim
Jim: I understand that you wish to cancel your subscription and I can take care of that for you.
Jim: If you could let me know the reason for cancellation, I can check and help you with our available options.
Hans Swets: CS6 is perfect for me, CC has no backward compatibility for Premiere and "NO Exit" strategy
Jim: You will get CS 6 applications as part of CC.
Hans Swets: Jim, I own CS6 and I really don't want argue with you
Jim: Sorry about that.
Jim: We would like to retain you as a customer. Your patronage is important to us. Would you be willing to maintain your subscription till the annual commitment and avoid the early termination fee if I offer you the next month of your membership for free?
Hans Swets: I want to cancel any membership after may 06, 2014
Jim: You have to cancel the subscription in the last month of the subscription, after Apr 7, 2014, to cancel as of May 6, 2014.
Hans Swets: What is the deadline date to avoid automatic renewal?
Jim: You have to cancel in the last month of the subscription or within 30 days of renewal to stop being enrolled in another annual commitment.
Jim: So, it is like a 60 day window.
Hans Swets: To clarify, as long as I cancel before May 06, there is no automatic renewal
Hans Swets: Who do I cancel within the last month?
Jim: Yes, that is right.
Hans Swets: sorry, meant how do I cancel within the last month
Jim: You may contact us via chat or call 800-833-6687 or cancel from your end.
Jim: Please refer this link to cancel in the last month.

Jim: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cancel-membership-subscri...

Jim: Select " Cancel a month-to-month membership", you will find the steps under that.
Jim: You may also contact us via chat.

Jim: We are happy to help you.
Hans Swets: I will. Are you offering 1 month free (April)
Jim: Yes Hans.
Jim: Definitely.
Hans Swets: Oke, go ahead
Jim: I have successfully credited 1 free month to your subscription, by waiving off a payment on Apr 7, 2014.
Hans Swets: Thank you Jim. Goodbye
Jim: You are welcome.
Jim: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Hans Swets: No, thank you. Goodbye
Jim: Thank you for contacting Adobe. We are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Goodbye!

This chat session has ended.
Thank you for contacting Adobe.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Cancellation of CC subscription
on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:31:29 pm

Hi Hans,
Let me know if there's anything more we can do for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Online/Social Customer Success Lead DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:05:24 am

Surely no one denies that the process of simply purchasing Adobe products has become bizarre. Right?

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:59:27 am
Last Edited By Gustavo Bermudas on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:02:48 am

I went through a process similar to that but after having cancelled I got charged anyways. I got refunded, but it was a pain. Hopefully it will be smooth for you

Return to posts index

Hans Swets
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:16:04 pm

The possibility of getting charged, even after cancellation, is what concerns me, and is the main reason for my post.
"Leaving a paper trail"

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:57:57 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Surely no one denies that the process of simply purchasing Adobe products has become bizarre. Right?"

Odd perhaps, but not near as insane as the subscription model is. Now why would I want to do something that would get me sent to the funny farm? I count sheep at night but always worry about one not making it over the fence.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:21:38 pm

"Jim's" responses read a lot like a contextual-sensitive application that selects from a list of pre-written phrases.

Nothing like the human touch, "Jim"!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:17:32 pm

[Dave LaRonde] ""Jim's" responses read a lot like a contextual-sensitive application that selects from a list of pre-written phrases.

Nothing like the human touch, "Jim"!"

Well said! Sometimes one has to wonder if the other person on the other end of the line is human or a robot.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:34:50 pm

Hmmm...interesting observation...is the new subscription model less human? That along with the canned answers and suggestions on a simple call to cancel a subscription. Has Adobe lost a little of it's organic legacy with a subscription model? Adobe has been the "air" or the "water" of this industry for so long. It feels like it has become just another big corporation with more internal facing concerns than the old outward facing company I always knew.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:48:06 pm

A customer service/tech support agent going off of a script? Next you'll be saying that the sky is blue and water is wet! ;)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 11, 2014 at 11:19:08 pm

Ah, but no typos! Who do you know who can pull that one off every time?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Mar 12, 2014 at 3:28:05 am

I could. 100 precent guaranted.

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Mar 12, 2014 at 3:26:01 pm

It's not that I think the process to cancel your CC subscription is particularly difficult, it's just unnecessary. Why isn't there a button to click on their website under your account settings that does it for you?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:00:54 pm

Is it possible that the process is being done to give Adobe as much information as to why people dump CC, so that they have ammunition to make changes as they assess the model? Just a guess...and a hope...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:41:19 pm

Or to try too convince to continue the subscription by offering trinkets of somesort.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 21, 2014 at 6:42:58 pm

They didn't ask me why I was cancelling, only that they wanted to retain my as a customer. First they offered one month, then two months free if I renewed. I said maybe for six months. My "Jim" said: "sorry, I can't do that."

It was quite satisfying to cancel due to all the problems I had in the beginning, but the reality is I may have to restart Premiere at least in the near future. Seems to be the lesser of five or six evils at this point.

Tim

Return to posts index

Hans Swets
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:17:41 pm

I agree

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:04:21 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:17:56 pm

Paul Newmann: “I could. 100 precent guaranted.”

Glad you can do that. It's an admirable clerical skill, often ignored in this day and age.

Incidentally, it's PERcent and not PREcent, and it's guaranTEED and not guaranTED... both of which illustrate my point rather well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:42:00 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Glad you can do that. It's an admirable clerical skill, often ignored in this day and age.

Incidentally, it's PERcent and not PREcent, and it's guaranTEED and not guaranTED... both of which illustrate my point rather well."

I detected a note of sarcasm in Paul's reply.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:40:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:17:02 pm

I wouldn't disagree with the "less human" aspect of it, not one bit.
There's a thread on Adobe's AE forum started by some marketing-wannabee grad student; in brief, the poster asks if there is a way to use alphanumeric spreadsheet data to create motion infographics automatically, employing other applications as necessary. This includes automating the design process inherent in such things, presumably from the spread sheets. I guess the intent is to create a Big Data > Spreadsheet > Motion Infographic workflow, no human intervention necessary.

The term used is "automatization". I'm almost certain that's not a proper English word, but I'm 100% sure it reeks of techno-marketing babble.

If marketing grad students are embracing such blue-sky nonsense, I shudder to think what kinds of practical software applications current pro marketers working in high-tech industries are dealing in.

Automated website chats from non-existant people named "Jim", perhaps?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:09:41 pm

Or voice activated video production.

"Adobe, I need an emotive video for a non-profit. Pull footage from the cloud. My end tag info is in this spreadsheet. The non-profits website is here...find the logo there. I'll be back in two hours to take a look at the first cut. Thanks Adobe."

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:08:29 pm

Yeah, Dave...Look how far the automation of art has gotten us so far: the EtchaSketch, and the Spirograph. Oh, yes...and automated art:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/london/9070469/Aut...

Looks as if it were done on an EtchaSketch, but not as good.

But all that said, there's always going to be someone who will accept something which is less creative, shoddier, and mass-produced, as long as it's cheaper...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:28:12 am

[Dave LaRonde] "There's a thread on Adobe's AE forum started by some marketing-wannabee grad student; in brief, the poster asks if there is a way to use alphanumeric spreadsheet data to create motion infographics automatically, employing other applications as necessary. This includes automating the design process inherent in such things, presumably from the spread sheets. I guess the intent is to create a Big Data > Spreadsheet > Motion Infographic workflow, no human intervention necessary"

I actually think that's a really good idea and, to me, is fundamentally no different than picture slideshow programs automatically adding transitions and doing pan & scan moves on the images or using plug and play GFX templates.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:00:57 pm

Yeah, who needs art direction or a designer, right?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:39:48 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Yeah, who needs art direction or a designer, right?"

I know you being sarcastic but, seriously, if someone wants to spice up their weekly power point budget meeting with a fun info graphic why should that inherently require professional art direction and/or a professional designer? Does every every piece of film or video shot require a DP? Can nothing be edited without a professional editor? No lighting w/o a gaffer? No script w/o a writer?

How many times do non-colorists do color grades in non-color grading programs like MC, FCPX or PPro? How many plugins and preset FX get sold by companies like Red Giant? How many templates by Digital Juice? Stock footage? Stock music? Stock sound FX? All the same beast. Time, budget and/or manpower constraints mean most projects aren't utterly unique creations from tip to tail.

It's like baking. You can make something yourself from scratch. You can make something yourself from a pre-made mix. You can buy something pre-made from the grocery store. You can buy something pre-made from the corner bakery. No single way, or combination of ways, is inherently more 'right' than any other and they all serve different niches in the market.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:01:05 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:37:29 am

[Andrew Kimery] "...if someone wants to spice up their weekly power point budget meeting with a fun info graphic why should that inherently require professional art direction and/or a professional designer?"

Nope, nothing wrong with that. But the scenario the OP apparently envisioned on the Adobe forum went WAY beyond that. I'm not kidding about the Big Data>Spreadsheet>Motion Infographic workflow. For everything. Not just for simple things.

The list of questions included such things as this paraphrase: "From the spreadsheet, can After Effects open Illustrator to make the appropriate graphics and then import them?"

Now, that would be a good trick.

The thing that really insulted me about the post was the assumption that such things could be pulled off for complex sets of data without human intervention, and look every bit as good as anything available right now. For the OP, it seemed as if it was just a matter of designing spreadsheets properly and a little scripting. It's just like the marketing folks who say to you, "just work a little magic" when what they're really saying is, "I don't have a clue whether you can do it or not, but I want you to do it anyways".

Such phrases seem to embody the prevailing attitude of marketers when pondering the subject of multimedia production. And from the OP's comments, these attitudes are learned in college or at least in grad school.

If I knew such things as "automaticized" animated infographics were actually being made on the order of complexity the OP desired, I wouldn't bother to look at the end results. But others probably would, and deem them acceptable. That's pretty sad and a little bit scary, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 14, 2014 at 2:17:16 am

Dave -

I wonder whether someone is sitting there thinking that if you can make a decent looking pie, line, or scatter chart from spreadsheet data, surely "artworks" should be no different? It's a stretch, but there are enough people out there who manage the people who do the "under the hood" stuff, that would be heroes if they could eliminate another hundred and fifty thousand jobs by automating the artists.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2014 at 4:01:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 14, 2014 at 4:27:47 pm

Joe, I'm sure there's some marketing weasel at a big high-tech company who is contemplating the topic at this very moment. A certain search engine firm in California started by Sergei Brin comes to mind as a likely candidate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:37:11 am

[Dave LaRonde] "That's pretty sad and a little bit scary, too."

I guess I see it as the latest in a wave of inevitabilities first kicked off by Gutenberg and his printing press. Lots of things that used to be done by craftspeople can now be done by computers and/or mechanical machines. The key as a craftsperson is to 1. bring something to the table that separates you from the machines and 2. find clients/employers that value those differences.

On one hand computers are already writing straight news articles (who, what, when, where, why) but on the other hand I'm reminded of a bumper sticker on a musician's case that said "Drum machines have no soul."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2014 at 4:06:52 pm

...and this bring me back around to my response to the original post: I wouldn't be surprised one bit to learn that Adobe Online Chats are conducted by a context-sensitive application that responds to queries by selecting from a list of pre-written phrases.

As in the Good Mr. Swets' "Jim".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 15, 2014 at 4:04:54 pm

I'm sure Adobe, like most companies, has its employees respond with canned answers but I doubt that a chat like that was done by a bot.

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Mar 16, 2014 at 3:21:57 pm

There are templates that do something similar. I haven't read the post on the AE board but I have seen infographic templates on Envato that were written with experssions so all you have to do is type in numbers and the graphs animate. Was this what the grad student was talking about?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:51:40 pm

Along those lines, but with even less human intervention:

1) Spreadsheet appears in a watch folder
2) AE opens & reads spreadsheet
3) Completed animated infographic -- looking like it was made by a motion graphics designer -- appears in a different folder, ready for a variety of uses

Remember, this is a marketing student who is investigating the possibility of such things happening.

That would have to be one heck of a spreadsheet.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Attila Kovarcsik
on Oct 11, 2014 at 7:46:05 am

I have cancelled my membership today too. Going back to my owned CS version.

John: Just to confirm, which software you use often  ?
I: Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop.
John: I would like to inform you that there is an offer for Photoshop+Lightroom at $9.99 per month.
I: I do not use Lightroom, but I use After Effects and Premire though.

I am not interested the Lightroom offer :)

Anyway they offered me 29.99 for another year again, not only a free month, but no thanks, I finished with CC.

John: I would like to inform you that Creative Cloud full membership for $29.99 is for already existing customers who has any Creative Suite serial numbers (from CS3 to CS6) registered under Adobe account.
John: In this case, we will be able to change the plan back to $29.99 again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]