FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cancelled My CC Subscription Today

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Mullins
Cancelled My CC Subscription Today
on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:54:24 am

I took the original CC subscription out last April and being an educational customer I had to sign on for the 1 year contract. Despite how much I love the Adobe suite I just don't agree with the current subscription model. Shame.

Out of interest, and in relation to the thread below about Adobe easing up on educational customers, the best offer that the Adobe representative I spoke with gave me to stay with CC was to continue with what I'm paying now and sign up for another 1 year contract, no discounts. If they're trying to keep customers they're not trying very hard. Perhaps they're not so desperate.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cancelled My CC Subscription Today
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:09:07 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:33:25 pm

I view it more as Adobe redefining who is in the heart of its customer base... and who is NOT. No hobbyists. No schools on shoestring budgets. Actually, nobody on a shoestring budget. Nobody who would prefer to own their software outright.

And please, let's not hear that tired, hair-splitting, "No one has really owned software for years" argument. You know darned well what I mean: not renting it.

So who's in? Anybody who doesn't mind viewing the right to use software as a regular, monthly expense. Big companies of almost any kind. Quite a few multimedia production outfits. Web design outfits... to name a few.

But to address your primary concern, it'll be interesting to see if there's a big change in the type of person who's able to learn Adobe software. I get the feeling they won't be at the high school or community college levels any more.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 5, 2014 at 7:57:00 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 5, 2014 at 8:51:57 pm

What alternatives are out there now that Adobe is going with a subscription only model? I can see Final Cut Pro X as an alternative to Premiere Pro, though Premiere is more a "practical" tool. So far I can not find anything that is along the lines of Photoshop or After Effects at the moment. Motion is nice but not as powerful. Where do I go from here? That is the question.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:12:06 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I view it more as Adobe redefining who is in the heart of its customer base... and who is NOT."....
[Dave LaRonde] "Nobody who would prefer to own their software outright."

That's my fear. That they are simply "redefining" who they even care to be an Adobe customer going forward, and everyone else will simply be left to fend for themselves even after having devoted their careers to the Adobe workflow and years of work built in the Adobe formats specifically. To have done this without warning has generated mountains of bad will, as many have said before.

But even if little 'ol me is no longer of any concern to Adobe, I wonder how they can continue to make life difficult for, if not outright piss off, enterprise, and educational sector customers?

If profits are down (albeit with subscriptions up) how long can Adobe do this? I know, rhetorical question, asked many times before.

I'm nervous that this will go real badly for people like me. The only thing that keeps me hopeful is that I'm reasonably certain that there are people at Adobe that are worried that the opposite is true.

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Mar 6, 2014 at 8:47:08 am

The university where I work has pretty much abandoned Premiere as the NLE they teach, not just on the dedicated production courses but also within the students union TV station as well as other departments who use video as part of their assessments. All have favoured FCPX. Although the photography department still teaches CS6 I'm told they're looking for alternatives as the CC model is not an option due to cost. Isolating the education sector just seems like a really counter-intuitive strategy for Adobe to take given that broadly speaking todays students are tomorrows professionals. If the majority of students leave university with little or no Adobe experience they won't be using Adobe products once they turn professional. Of course the opposite could also be said, in that if CC products are widespread amongst the media industry eventually educational establishments will be forced to teach CC otherwise their students won't have the basic skills necessary to find work. I imagine the reality will be somewhere in-between but it's still an odd strategy to take, given that Adobe could court both markets simultaneously.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:18:08 pm

[Ben Mullins] "Isolating the education sector just seems like a really counter-intuitive strategy for Adobe to take given that broadly speaking todays students are tomorrows professionals."

Doesn't necessarily follow. My broadcasting department taught its students on Media 100 back in the early naughts, and I bet you a very, very small percentage of that student body has touched it since (I haven't).

[Ben Mullins] "Of course the opposite could also be said, in that if CC products are widespread amongst the media industry eventually educational establishments will be forced to teach CC otherwise their students won't have the basic skills necessary to find work."

If you don't have the foundation to switch back and forth between any NLE and be up and running quickly, then there was a helluva lot more wrong with your education than simply picking the right software to learn on.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Mar 6, 2014 at 9:22:56 pm

[Gary Huff] "If you don't have the foundation to switch back and forth between any NLE and be up and running quickly, then there was a helluva lot more wrong with your education than simply picking the right software to learn on."

Learning outcomes based on a particular tool (software / techne) without regard to concept, process and workflow, limit education.

I agree with Gary. He may have learned how to edit with Media 100 but doesn't currently use it.

The distinction being he learned how to edit, not necessarily to master Media 100. The skill is transferable to a new tool.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 7, 2014 at 10:06:45 pm

This plus the widely acknowledged fact that FCP-X is significantly easier to teach to an editor who doesn't have years and years of track based muscle memory to overcome.

Those are the people I help to learn X that drive me nuts. The ones that start every single question with "In AVID (or Premier or Vegas) I do it THIS way - can I do it the same way in X?"

Young editors without the same preconceptions often have a massively more open mind. They just want to get their edits done. Plus they've literally grown up on the concepts of search and sort, so the database approach of X for most of them is extremely intuitive.

I'd mention "So, in your Library and Events, you get to create your own, private "mini-Google" for all your assets so you NEVER lose track of anything, ever again" and their eyes just light up.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 8, 2014 at 5:24:30 am

[Bill Davis] "This plus the widely acknowledged fact that FCP-X is significantly easier to teach to an editor who doesn't have years and years of track based muscle memory to overcome."

That's not widely acknowledged at all. I had years of track based "muscle memory" to overcome, but there's nothing really much to overcome. You still use a keyboard shortcut or mouse move to move a clip from the Bin, er, excuse me, the Event, into the timeline. After that, you just have to get use to the way FCPX moves shit around.

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Mar 8, 2014 at 5:56:52 am

I agree with the fact that as you progress you learn the fundamental concepts of editing which as you rightly say are transferable to any NLE, however I think when students first start out they find it much easier to stick with a single NLE as there are many things they are coming to terms with and it really takes a couple of years to grasp these concepts and be able to move comfortably between programs.

Yes it is the fundamentals that you learn but most editing jobs specify the software the editor needs to know and without experience of a particular NLE they cant just walk in and start cutting. For an experienced professional it might only take a couple of days to grasp the basics of a new NLE but it will take a couple of months if not longer to really get up to speed.

To be leaving university with skills in only one NLE may be a sign of a poor education however you learn far more once you start actually working than you ever do in the classroom and it is here where the craft is really learned.

Incidently i was talking with the girl who runs the SU TV station and she said that all the students she trains up on X find it easier to grasp than Premeire. I should point out here though that Im not a lecturer so Ive not witnessed this for myself but she says that they get up and running faster in X than CS6.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Mar 8, 2014 at 6:44:37 am

[Ben Mullins] "Incidently i was talking with the girl who runs the SU TV station and she said that all the students she trains up on X find it easier to grasp than Premeire. I should point out here though that Im not a lecturer so Ive not witnessed this for myself but she says that they get up and running faster in X than CS6."

I teach CTE courses part time at a local high school and FCPX almost teaches itself. I used to teach classes in FCP legacy and Premiere and the difference is striking. I teach them how to import and how to create a timeline and they just go. We are centering on FCPX, though we do have a CC web/design and video site license currently. I'll have no problem dumping that as other applications emerge to compete with Adobe apps.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 8, 2014 at 3:22:51 pm

I can easily do without Premiere Pro for editing. In many situations FCP X does a very nice job but still not sure for a major production, whether it be broadcast or film. Photoshop has no equal, at least that I am aware of. The same can be said for After Effects, for motion graphics. Any node based compositing software is best suited for more complex work. Things have changed, some for the better and some for the worst. Just an observation and nothing more.

Return to posts index

Chriss Williams
on Mar 8, 2014 at 8:34:05 pm

At my University, we teach Avid and Premiere (a few, who can't be bothered with staying current still teach FC6). Additionally, I teach After Effects & Photoshop (and an "overview" of FCPX). For history-- years ago, I taught "D-Vision" at a school in Chicago.

My belief is simple: Kids have to learn everything! The choice of NLE they use may or may not be theirs to make- so be prepared. Personally, I choose my NLE based on project (a long narrative: Avid; a short with mixed media, coming from different sources: FCPX; Effects? Premiere/After Effects.) But I enjoy editing with FCPX- seems less formal and structured (as I was told in '94 when I learned Avid, "The first rule of Avid is, 'sit up straight'!")

However, it's been my experience that kids pick up editing software VERY quickly, so having as many as your school can afford is must. Learning the art of editing comes for constantly working. I try to separate it from the "button pushing."

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Mar 15, 2014 at 10:32:47 am

I replaced Photoshop about 18 months ago with Photoline. As an image editor it comes very close to Photoshop, minus the video and 3d parts, and is actually arguably an improvement in a number of areas. Full 8/16/32bpc, rgb/cmyk/lab, full adjustment layers and layer effects (which can also be applied to layer masks!), layer grouping, as many bitmap and vector layer masks as you want per layer, virtual (cloned) instances of groups, masks and layers that update in realtime, full vector layers, external file layers (in the beta version), and a mostly non-destructive workflow. Multiple page support!

Also remarkable: any layer can be any image mode and bit depth. Mix and match - and also no need to switch image modes when you wish to apply curves to Lab, HIS, HSV or RGB: merely select the one you wish to work in in the curves dialogs. Very liberating indeed.

For digital painting I now use Krita (which is open source and better at it than Photoshop). For 3d painting (something Photoshop is terrible at) 3dCoat is far superior.

I have not touched Photoshop CS6 except for file conversions (bearing in mind I had been a loyal PH user since version 3 this is quite a feat!).

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]