FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Cloud a la carte?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chas Smith
Adobe Cloud a la carte?
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:47:02 am

I'm a bit late to this discussion. I've decided that I need to integrate Adobe products into my production workflows because of client pressures to do so. I've usually just contracted work out to other folks whenever I've needed something Photoshopped or an animated logo, etc. But thanks to market pressures... I have to bring this in-house.

I had a bit of sticker-shock concerning the new Adobe Cloud set-up. I was wondering if there's any subscription that allows you to pick just the products you need and make your own "a la carte bundle"? I'm not going to be using all the different Adobe products so I really don't feel I should have to be paying rent for those things I don't want or need. (Kind of like Cable, if you ask me.)

I couldn't find anything on the Adobe website that really had this option..unless I missed something.

Any help here or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
Re: Adobe Cloud a la carte?
on Feb 28, 2014 at 8:41:27 am

you can get single products for round about 20$ per month if i remember right.... thats it.

but you also can still get CS6. if you just need it once in a while that might also be a option. (as it will run for a long time without the need to pay for it over and over again)

best regards
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts
http://www.floriansepp.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:41:58 pm

Other than single-app subscriptions, there's a special Photoshop/Lightroom bundle at $10/mo.

When you say sticker-shock, have you actually compared things? The full retail is $50/mo. - so $600/year. If you had previously bought Master Collection or Production Premium, you would have paid about $2600 or $1800 respectively. Then if you upgraded annually, this would cost you several hundred more, each year. So maybe it's not that expensive, depending on what you use.

OTOH, there are alternatives, depending on what you actually need. Obviously that may be dictated by compatibility with client-supplied files. For example Pixelmater or the Corel suite as an alternative to Photoshop. Motion or Boris RED as an alternative to After Effects.

Of course, you get the best bang-for-the-buck, if you use as many of the available Adobe tools as possible, since you are paying a flat fee.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:29:59 pm

[Oliver Peters] "If you had previously bought Master Collection or Production Premium, you would have paid about $2600 or $1800 respectively. Then if you upgraded annually, this would cost you several hundred more, each year. So maybe it's not that expensive, depending on what you use."

... or to state it another way:

If you previously purchased a bundle or individual application, and didn't necessarily upgrade each year, or chose when it made sense financially and feature-wise to upgrade, then current rates are more expensive and the Creative Cloud model is effectively a rise in prices.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:36:13 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "then current rates are more expensive and the Creative Cloud model is effectively a rise in prices."

I completely agree. This can be true. But since Chas needs to stay current with what the clients' supply or ask for, he theoretically might need to upgrade no matter what. Or for instance, take advantage of new features, like Cinema4D Lite that's included with AE CC so he can do 3D logo animation. That's why he'll need to run the numbers and decide.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:55:02 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] " and didn't necessarily upgrade each year, or chose when it made sense financially and feature-wise to upgrade, then current rates are more expensive and the Creative Cloud model is effectively a rise in prices."

That's not entirely accurate. When Adobe switched to an annual release cycle they also changed their upgrade pricing policy so that users could no longer skip a release and still get an upgrade discount. Ex. If you paid $1800 for CS 5 Production Premium, skipped CS 5.5 and bought CS 6 Production Premium it would cost you another $1800.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:06:28 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "That's not entirely accurate."

Andrew,

Creative Suite 5 was released in April 2010. Assuming it was 1800.00 (no idea) and you are happy with it, and didn't upgrade, it represents a cost of less than 470.00 per year and falling with each passing day.

If you're in love with it, and need an additional copy, it's currently available on ebay for less than 500.00.

Creative Suite 1 was released in 2003 - run the numbers on the variety of choices that one could faced over the past decade. A startling number of scenarios end up with costs under 600.00 per year.

You can argue the need to constantly upgrade and current features - some people need that; some however, do not. CC takes away choices.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:26:59 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "You can argue the need to constantly upgrade and current features - some people need that; some however, do not. CC takes away choices."

CC is a different offering than CS; it changes the choices.

Before, with CS, if you only needed it for a limited time, you had to buy it outright -- you could spend almost $3000 on a product you may only use for a month or two. Now you can subscribe for as little as a month.

The higher total lifetime cost you point to is real, but so is the lower upfront cost. I'd argue that the value proposition as a whole has changed a great deal, and I'm really happy with the direction of development under CC as compared to CS.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:32:56 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Now you can subscribe for as little as a month."

Walter,

The 80.00, one month user. I think we've found the CC sweet spot.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:59:16 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Walter, The 80.00, one month user. I think we've found the CC sweet spot."

It's been a big deal for me that I can now bring on a short-term freelancer without it immediately costing me $2700 to put Master Collection on their desktop.

But that's a special case. Setting that aside, I think you underestimate the attractiveness of the no-barrier-to-entry CC offer. You no longer have to put up $1800-$2700 to get into the Adobe ecosystem. I can see that $50/mo would seem more affordable to a class of more casual users, putting some really cool tools in hands that wouldn't have gotten them otherwise.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:03:31 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think you underestimate the attractiveness of the no-barrier-to-entry CC offer."

Walter,

First, I think you underestimate the barrier-to-entry that the rental model represents for some people.

But, more to the point:

The reason I raise the cost issue is that I think it represents a shift in focus for Adobe, and that hasn't been talked about much.

I think the rental model is very attractive to people like yourself and small facilities on up. (see: CNN thread in other forum). It's attractive, and actually it represents cheaper access and the kind of relationship that fits perfectly with certain business models.

It's important to acknowledge that for others it represents an increase in cost.

If you prefer to qualify that ("it just seems like an increase in cost to them", "they're looking at it the wrong way", whatever), I'm not going to argue with you, but one function of these forums is to be able to express and witness different perspectives.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:34:44 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "First, I think you underestimate the barrier-to-entry that the rental model represents for some people."

It may seem that way since I regularly talk about the CC pros and not so much about the cons, but I absolutely understand why this represents a deal-breaker for many here. In my consulting work, I spend a lot of time outlining the lack of exit ramp from CC and how different that is from traditional software licensing. I think you have to understand the whole picture to make an informed decision.

I'm making a practical choice for my business, which I am very happy with. Others are standing on principle, and I respect that. We assign different value to a perpetual license, and I think there's room there for reasonable disagreement.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "It's important to acknowledge that for others it represents an increase in cost."

Freely acknowledged. And not just for others -- for me, too. I will pay more money to Adobe lifetime under 2014 Creative Cloud pricing than I did under 2012 Creative Suite pricing.

But setting aside any idea of value, I have two points on price here:

When you discuss the cost, I don't think it's fair to point to higher lifetime payments without balancing the discussion with initial cost. If you plot the two payment schemes on a graph, you will notice two things: first, it takes years for CC to become more expensive than CS, and secondly, CC's cost is smooth and linear, while CS's cost was bumpy, a series of ascending plateaus. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

Secondly, I'm not sure it's reasonable to assume that the cost of CS upgrades would have remained at 2012 levels (any more than it's reasonable to assume the cost of a CC sub will remain static forever). As Andrew pointed out, Adobe had already begun tightening upgrade benefits by then (which Autodesk has now also done), which was also effectively an increase in prices for your scenarios. The old model was not immune to price increases if that's what it took to fund development and make money, and with new apps coming into the suites, there would have been reasonable justification for price increases.

Personally, I think that CC subscription pricing is a very interesting move in a world where you can get a loss-leader color corrector for free, an image editor built largely on Core Image for $30, and an NLE with 2 years of updates for $300. I'm not sure what the market would have been like for professional software like CS in a few years; if anything, I think that CS has been undervalued for years, and subscription is a way to attempt to make its true and justifiable cost more palatable to a market that now expects to buy an app for a buck on their phone.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "If you prefer to qualify that ("it just seems like an increase in cost to them", "they're looking at it the wrong way", whatever), I'm not going to argue with you, but one function of these forums is to be able to express and witness different perspectives."

I largely agree with your analyses here, but I think they lack balance. I'm trying to provide that by expressing the other side. I rarely discuss the cons of CC here because while I acknowledge they exist, I think they are over-represented.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 5, 2014 at 3:19:08 pm

[Walter Soyka] "When you discuss the cost, I don't think it's fair to point to higher lifetime payments without balancing the discussion with initial cost. If you plot the two payment schemes on a graph, you will notice two things: first, it takes years for CC to become more expensive than CS, and secondly, CC's cost is smooth and linear, while CS's cost was bumpy, a series of ascending plateaus. There are advantages and disadvantages to each."

If you have a credit card and pay it off over a year, or more, then CS is as smooth as CC, more so in that you can decide on a month by month basis exactly how much you are paying. Interest payments included, I think CS on a credit card is a better deal with more options. The only exception is for someone who is not committed for at least a year, in that case CC does have an advantage.

Financially CC is all about the advantages for Adobe, not the user, or why else did they remove the perpetual option? If CC was truly a better deal for the user they would have simply left them both to compete, kept a few million users, avoided incredible PR damage, and still come out a winner.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 5, 2014 at 8:10:02 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Financially CC is all about the advantages for Adobe, not the user, or why else did they remove the perpetual option? If CC was truly a better deal for the user they would have simply left them both to compete, kept a few million users, avoided incredible PR damage, and still come out a winner.
"

this right here - see this above? this.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:12:47 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Financially CC is all about the advantages for Adobe, not the user, or why else did they remove the perpetual option? If CC was truly a better deal for the user they would have simply left them both to compete, kept a few million users, avoided incredible PR damage, and still come out a winner."

Bingo.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:38:17 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "for CS 5 Production Premium, skipped CS 5.5 and bought CS 6 Production Premium it would cost you another $1800."

I just got my update production bundle from cs 5 to 6 last week for 755€ without taxes.
I got cs5 2010... thats 188€ per year. with cc at german prices it would have been 615€ per year or 2460€ for the 4 years.(also without taxes)

but hey... for me it is not about the price...it would be ok to pay per year - its about the fall back.

best regards
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:34:36 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Creative Suite 5 was released in April 2010. Assuming it was 1800.00 (no idea) and you are happy with it, and didn't upgrade, it represents a cost of less than 470.00 per year and falling with each passing day."

You are correct that for users that only upgrade once every 4+ years the cost is lower per year though if you use Adobe's products day in and day out It may not be possible to hold out that long. At one job I had we didn't really use AE that much but we had to keep upgrading to stay compatible with our GFX venders that upgraded every release cycle. Of course upgrading every year still becomes cheaper than CC once you get beyond 5 or 6 years worth of payments. I still think Adobe should offer a loyalty buyout.

[Florian Sepp] "I just got my update production bundle from cs 5 to 6 last week for 755€ without taxes.
I got cs5 2010... thats 188€ per year. with cc at german prices it would have been 615€ per year or 2460€ for the 4 years.(also without taxes)"

Yes, I misspoke. I keep forgetting that CS 5.5 was an anomaly in Adobe's product lineup.

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on Mar 1, 2014 at 10:40:19 am

No Problem.

Best regards
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved