FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update on Teams

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Update on Teams
on Feb 9, 2014 at 8:39:14 pm

Hey guys,

So after my post last week about CC for teams and the various answers I got, I decided to pull the trigger and get it. The thing that kind of pushed me over the edge was cloud storage and sharing files/rough cuts with clients. Right now we're using Transmit to ftp share files via our web host, but a solution that allows for a desktop folder to sync with the cloud and then sharing that file as a link would in theory be super simple. Lots of reasons this might be better - faster server speed, and when you have an HD video direct linked to an FTP location, some clients computers display the image as a huge video screen, making the viewing process annoying for them. We watched this video:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-designers/adobe-creative-c...

What a great way to automatically embed a video in a web page and bypass the huge video screen problem, allow clients to give notes, and just give us an overall slicker presentation. I could tell we'd really get our money's worth out of that 100 gig storage.

So I bit the bullet and got teams. First off, I needed to test how the user experience for clients would pan out. I uploaded a slide rocket friendly QT that was 720p and about 20 megs. Finder had to be force quit and I ended up just dragging the file into a web page since finder was being weird. Not a big deal.

Then I went to the web page.

It wouldn't play the video - download is the only option.

Creative Cloud does not allow you to share videos as a streamable 'play in browser' option.

Creative Cloud does not allow you to share videos as a streamable 'play in browser' option. Really.

I thought for sure I was crazy - how can drop box, sky drive, google drive - all these services - be able to handle direct linked video, but the company that's supposed to be the groundbreaking video production service cannot? How could Adobe focus so much attention on having clients be able to turn off and on layers in a PSD file via the browser, but not let you stream a video? What year is this???

Quick search on the internet and I found out that there's apparently a whole world of hurt in regards to CC storage and sharing videos.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4733311

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5706379

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1303994

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1341476?tstart=60

So that's it - the biggest plus to going CC for me just got thrown out the window - and I've only had it for 20 minutes.

Sigh.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Update on Teams
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:12:25 pm

The CC storage is yet a young creature, and time alone will show what it matures to be.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:14:05 pm

I just cancelled the teams membership. An hour after ordering it. No point to it. I'll just get a regular extra membership and go that route.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:13:44 pm

That really sux. How long did you commit for with your subscription?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:15:05 pm

I got two seats, but you can cancel in the first 30 days. According to the adobe rep I chatted with to cancel, it's going to take another 5-7 days to officially cancel it. Odds are I'll have to go back and remind them to cancel/refund.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 10, 2014 at 6:42:06 pm

Hi John,
Sorry that CC couldn't work for you right now. If you have any trouble canceling your subscription or getting a refund, please let me know. I handle this sort of thing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Online/Social Customer Success Lead DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:12:25 pm

Thanks Kevin. It's confusing that you can't share videos normally - that would certainly be a big benefit to the cloud. Hopefully that will change at some point.

I'll let ya know if it doesn't cancel.

jd

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:46:48 pm

[John Davidson] "Thanks Kevin. It's confusing that you can't share videos normally - that would certainly be a big benefit to the cloud. Hopefully that will change at some point. "

Hi John,
I agree with you there. Hoping for lots of improvement in this regard.

[John Davidson] "I'll let ya know if it doesn't cancel."

Thanks much!
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Online/Social Customer Success Lead DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:01:32 am

I've been in the same boat. The CC files section is pretty bad at the moment. For instance, mine never worked, until I signed up separately for early access. Not sure what that's all about, but after eventually getting an invitation, I signed on and the Files section of the CC Desktop app finally changed from "coming soon".

Using the Files sync, a video file gets up there, but I see no way to make it public for an outside client. Send a Link to share it doesn't work. You just get to see a thumbnail. I cannot download it externally - only sync with another connected system of mine. It definitely doesn't play online in any way, shape or form.

I think if you use the Adobe-hosted websites, it comes out of your storage allotment, so maybe it's useful for folks who use Muse. If your main interest in the Cloud storage is for some sort of DropBox, SugarSync or even (old) iDisk functionality - forget it. Not even close.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:53:54 am

[Oliver Peters] "I think if you use the Adobe-hosted websites, it comes out of your storage allotment, so maybe it's useful for folks who use Muse. If your main interest in the Cloud storage is for some sort of DropBox, SugarSync or even (old) iDisk functionality - forget it. Not even close.
"

It's the fact that these are core sales attributes of the creative cloud itself. if you take it away, its sunset software with monthly subscription.

adobe seem incompetent to deliver the kind of services they decided to sell. they recently exposed customer financial data on a ludicrous scale,
and they cannot actually even share a video file for playback.

It's a joke.

If adobe think this is not a joke, if they feel at the boardroom that all is fine, that they can just continue on exactly as they are right this second.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:11:25 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "It's the fact that these are core sales attributes of the creative cloud itself. "

I kind of have to agree with you on this. I think rather than piracy or whatever the issue with letting you share your files like every piece of marketing for CC proclaims, there's something probably deeper going on. Bandwidth and the price of real success with this. Imagine if we all truly used this service how it should be, allowing you to customize shared links with your own domain name, letting you quickly share these files in a streamable form from via that same website, and developing a client reviewing page style (similar to what hey have now) that is so good it quickly becomes ubiquitous with how clients view and share creative world wide? Think about the bandwidth needed to provide that kind of truly customer focused service!

I think Adobe should buy Vimeo. Blend it in, give the customer customizable elements like logos and their own URL, and then you have something to truly sell.

They should also buy Hightail. If you want to own the cloud, bring in the kids that know how to get this done.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16:45 am

John,

FWIW - you can set up a local web server on a Mac Mini running Axle asset management software. This can be connected to your SAN. By using a watch folder style operation, you can push files over to the Axle-watched folder. Axle will flip this into an MP4. You can then create a private (client-specific) link for material. This can be viewed over the web by your client, complete with review-and-approval markers and comments using a range of internet connections, including an iPad.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 17, 2014 at 11:55:35 pm
Last Edited By John Davidson on Feb 17, 2014 at 11:56:08 pm

Thanks Oliver - didn't mean to ignore you, you put me on the path to what I ended up doing.

I'm always a big fan of free, and self-hosting terrifies me as we're at the whims of time warner cable. That said, we found a wordpress / vimeo solution that is both very easy, can be done w/ an iPad, and exports directly out of FCPX into Vimeo, skipping any file based steps. So far it's working great and looks pretty solid.

Here's an example of how it looks - as well as a great FYI to those that need to do an emergency CALM act level in Audition.

http://magicfeatherfilms.com/?p=30

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:08:34 am

Cool. Thanks.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Feb 12, 2014 at 3:10:27 am

[John Davidson] "I think Adobe should buy Vimeo. Blend it in, give the customer customizable elements like logos and their own URL, and then you have something to truly sell."

Oh my god no!!! I love Vimeo. I even pay the $60/year Vimeo Plus subscription because I like it so much. Please keep Adobe far far far away!!!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:41:39 am

[John Davidson] "I think Adobe should buy Vimeo. Blend it in, give the customer customizable elements like logos and their own URL, and then you have something to truly sell."

Doesn't Adobe already offer this via Behance?

http://www.behance.net/

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 12, 2014 at 3:00:01 pm

[John Davidson] "I think Adobe should buy Vimeo. Blend it in, give the customer customizable elements like logos and their own URL, and then you have something to truly sell.

They should also buy Hightail. If you want to own the cloud, bring in the kids that know how to get this done."

Respectfully, I sure hope not. The last thing in the world we need is for Adobe to swallow up more critical companies. Monopolies are bad for everyone's business except the monopoly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]