FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Software should not be priced as if it were cable television"

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pettit
"Software should not be priced as if it were cable television"
on Feb 9, 2014 at 4:57:46 am

Conclusions from the following article. (BTW, once the education sector has walked..... big trouble for Adobe long term):

http://visualstudies.buffalo.edu/vsFacilities/2014/01/10/recommendations-to...

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: "Software should not be priced as if it were cable television"
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:05:21 am

Good article.
Adobe recently moved to a subscription-based product licensing model which they call Creative Cloud (CC). We and many other professional designers and educators find CC unacceptable. We want to let you know that Visual Studies no longer recommends that students purchase Adobe products, and unless Adobe offers an acceptable alternative to CC subscriptions, we will not be updating Adobe products within our labs. Instead, we will continue to use CS6 as we research suitable alternatives.
Just like millions of former Adobe customers.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:23:59 am

Only thing I find confusing is how they can install 25 CS6 licenses on 60 computers? Effectively they can install 25 licenses on 50 computers, same for CS6 and CC - and if more computers need access, they will have to "log out" on one computer and "log in" on another. Same procedure for CS6 and CC.

So the inly issue I can see here is students pricing.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Feb 9, 2014 at 5:04:43 pm

The issue i see is the future. if adobe dosent cater to the young the will loose them when they become ptos to other apps. This is plain stupidity by adobe if not desperation.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 9, 2014 at 6:58:24 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "So the inly issue I can see here is students pricing."

Or there's this part:

"If a designer ever stops paying the monthly fee to Adobe for whatever reason, after a 30 day grace period they will not be able to open or edit any previously created work. Can you imagine having a lifetime’s worth of work that you can no longer access once you stop paying?"

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 9, 2014 at 7:44:32 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:21:59 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Or there's this part:

"If a designer ever stops paying the monthly fee to Adobe for whatever reason, after a 30 day grace period they will not be able to open or edit any previously created work. Can you imagine having a lifetime’s worth of work that you can no longer access once you stop paying?""

Is it possible to open up a project file in something like CS6, or is that not an option?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 10, 2014 at 1:54:47 am

[David Mathis] "Is it possible to open up a project file in something like CS6, or is that not an option?"

Long story of course. What applications - and what period of time - are the questions....
PP: no
AE: only if you don't use any of the new features that would be the reason for subscribing in the first place.
PS: probably, but where will we be in 2 years? 5 years?
On and On....

I've been down this road with the guys at Adobe. Good guys, but they have no good answers to these questions. Right now, backwards compatibility is AT BEST conditional. Long term one would be foolish to bet on CS6 as the answer for backwards compatibility for CC project files. Especially given Adobe's financial incentive to quit supporting CS6. Adobe is ultimately counting on the lack of compatibility to force us in to subscriptions. I challenge anyone to tell me that's not true.

But as I said before, why are we even bothering to discuss backwards comparability? If we were offered the appropriate opportunity to get off the "subscription-merry-go-round" than would anyone really be discussing opening new files in old software?

The answer is quite clearly NO.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:09:46 pm

I have files from many previous programs that I cannot open anymore; Freehand, CorelDraw, Media100, iWeb...

The point is that at some time you either choose to move to something else, or the program becomes obsolete.
At least in the case of Adobe, they have for example made their PSD, PDF file types universal, and let some programs save in CS6 format.
Premiere Pro is the NLE with most import and export formats on the market.

In my opinion they should let us open any file and re-edit, but lock the ability to create new files. But people would just duplicate old files and cheat them from making a revenue - so that is probably not an option.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:37:02 pm

Once again: Backwards compatibility is not the issue.

Being forced to worry about backwards compatibility because perpetual subscriptions are the only alternative is the issue. I freely accept that newer files often wont open in older versions of the software. Old news.

The problem is losing all access unless you make payments for the rest of your life.

But again, this has been covered for 9 full months, it really isn't necessary to do it again. My only point was that there was more to the article than just pricing

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:58:34 pm

UB's Visual Design Dept. even posts a list of software they deem to be alternatives to Creative Cloud:
http://visualstudies.buffalo.edu/vsFacilities/2014/01/10/alternatives-to-ad...

Okay, you editors, listen up: the folks in this department DO NOT DO EDITING. Hence, no NLE recommendations. It's a visual design department, not a video production department.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 9, 2014 at 10:59:07 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Hence, no NLE recommendations"

I see a list for alternatives to Premiere, am I misunderstanding your point?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:50:39 pm

[Chris Pettit] "I see a list for alternatives to Premiere, am I misunderstanding your point?"

No. I had the wrong software on my mind. Think "Audition" or "Soundbooth".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 10, 2014 at 6:03:33 pm

Gotcha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 10, 2014 at 6:38:18 pm

...and as I look at the list of alternative video editing software, I see iMovie among them.

Really?

Well, they ARE visual design folks and not serious video editors: the department lists photography as a discipline, but it's not the kind that captures pictures that move. So maybe iMovie's just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:11:46 pm

If you are worried about future proofing, couldn't you save your project as an XML file? This way it wouldn't really matter what version of the software you open it up with in the future. Seems like that could be a good alternative.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:33:21 pm

[Greg Jones] "If you are worried about future proofing, couldn't you save your project as an XML file? This way it wouldn't really matter what version of the software you open it up with in the future. Seems like that could be a good alternative."

What about AE? FL? ID? IL?

I'm not an editor, so I'll leave XML discussion to people more knowledgeable than me, but this issue has been hashed out many times, and there seems to be consensus that CS6 is not a long term solution for wide category files created in CC. Even Adobe has previously acknowledged this:

"The community is telling us is that what we have in place today – where you can export from your CC apps to CS6 – is not an acceptable solution," admits Sharma.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-software/adobe-vp-on-creat...

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:46:25 am

There is a "Take all or nothing" Strategy behind this so called "Cloud".
You can´t split Video from Print or Web-Design.
This recommendation may not be 100% relevant for editors, but it´s a good statement against the lacks of hired software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]