FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto-pay? Yikes.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Auto-pay? Yikes.
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:02:31 pm

Not about Creative Cloud per se, just reporting an “auto bank account withdrawal” story we experienced yesterday...

The back story... my wife had been miss-diagnosed with Lupus more than a decade ago, and she'd had huge difficult finding insurance for many years.

During that time, wanting at least SOME protection, we’d bought her a truly lame policy with "at least it pays something if you break a leg" - style coverage at a commensurately low monthly premium of just $18.48 - the catch was the ONLY payment option was auto-debit direct from a bank account.

In January we were able to sign up for much better (and significantly cheaper!) health insurance through the ACA.

Yesterday, when she noticed the old policy account debit, she called our (Major US Bank) folks to get the auto-debit stopped.

To our absolute SHOCK, the process took more than 45 minutes and her demanding to speak with a supervisor.

She kept saying "Just stop the draw - somebody will surely contact us - and then we can inform them I now have much better coverage and to discontinue that old policy."

The "push back" was amazing. Like I said, it took her 45 minutes, a supervisors involvement - plus stuff like arguing against a $30 "termination fee"

We got it handled in the end, but it was surreal and exhausting.

For the subscriber model proponents, my fervent wish is that you NEVER experience anything like this.

What a mess.

Again, please remember this is NOT directly about Adobe or CC. My presumption is that Adobe is an honorable company and has and will forever maintain a much better opt-out system.

But it completely reinforced my belief that the subscription trend in general actually has little to do with product or feature development or making products available to more users at lower costs - and is actually all about a wider big business trend toward moving customers into systems that makes their revenue "opt out" rather than "opt in" - and we should simply understand that fact.

Its the only way I can understand what happened to Linda on the phone yesterday.

I'm not saying auto-pay is inherently bad - but this experience tells me that the ones that happen without a trigger from MY side are going to get MUCH more scrutiny in the future.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Auto-pay? Yikes.
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:43:00 pm

[Bill Davis] "My presumption is that Adobe is an honorable company and has and will forever maintain a much better opt-out system."

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

[Bill Davis] "But it completely reinforced my belief that the subscription trend in general actually has little to do with product or feature development or making products available to more users at lower costs - and is actually all about a wider big business trend toward moving customers into systems that makes their revenue "opt out" rather than "opt in" - and we should simply understand that fact.
"

yep and yep.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:31:23 pm

[Bill Davis] "Again, please remember this is NOT directly about Adobe or CC. My presumption is that Adobe is an honorable company and has and will forever maintain a much better opt-out system."

I am not going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole. :-)

[Bill Davis] "I'm not saying auto-pay is inherently bad - but this experience tells me that the ones that happen without a trigger from MY side are going to get MUCH more scrutiny in the future."

This is why I monitor my account on a daily basis. Also check the balance after a purchase with the debit card. This has nothing to do directly with Adobe or Target, just a safety precaution.

Always good to make sure you get some kind of confirmation when cancelling automatic payments or signing up for them. This way you can better protect yourself in the event something does go wrong.

I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. I hope she gets well soon.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 10, 2014 at 1:14:46 am

I ran into an even shadier version of this when I innocently signed up online for a single months worth of Consumer Reports. The sign up was most specific - the choice was one month of CR for x amount of money. Three months later, my wife noticed a billing from Consumer Reports, and as we looked further, we noticed that we had been billed every month since the "one month" I had specifically signed up for. When I called CR their phone rep told me when I hit submit for the single month, it automatically put me on an auto billing program unless I went to a separate site and cancelled. Of course there was no indication anywhere about this separate site. After demanding to talk to a manager, they agreed to refund my money, but it took a couple of weeks. It's a pretty sad state of affairs...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 10, 2014 at 3:53:41 am

[David Mathis] "I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. I hope she gets well soon."

David,

Thanks but don't worry. Turns out that even with her being un-insured, we managed to eventually work connections that allowed her to get a second opinion from no less than the Mayo Clinic - and their tests showed that her original doctor (since deceased) had totally miss-diagnosed her. So she actually never had Lupus in the first place! Her symptoms were likely the result of the stress of her caring for her Alzheimers stricken mother during her final years. The only present day echo was her continuing inability to secure health insurance - something we were actively (if slowly) working on correcting - when the new health care regulations went into effect, finally making the massive problem of her "fake pre-existing condition" moot.

She's fine. We're now insured. And paying less for better coverage under the new system by far. Win-win.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 10, 2014 at 5:40:57 am

Glad to hear and it looks like I stuck my foot in my mouth. My apologies for that.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:48:25 pm

[David Mathis] "like I stuck my foot in my mouth. My apologies for that."

Not at all and theres never any need to apologize for showing simple human concern for others! ; )

Return to posts index

Raymond Inauen
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:22:20 am

Your story isn't new, and many of us who might be a little older aren't as easy to convince that being confined to a monthly payment system for software is the better business solution.

Alone the headaches of starting your software and getting a pop-up that says you haven't paid your license or forgotten, or your credit cards been blocked or your bank screwed up, or that adobe screwed up … isn't an option.

The trend towards renting, leasing or financing is growing fast. Alone the automotive industry wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for car leasing these days. And it seems that many people would prefer to work from a month to month bases in the hopes of saving money, or I would say not having to saving up any money for anything any more.

So you can lease your computer, rent the software including the operating system, and go with the flow? I mean in the end that's the trend.

I can imagine in a few years from now we'll be forced to license the operating software on our iphones, and your data will only be available on a cloud. And if you miss your payment, and cannot pay because you might be bankrupt, you'll loose all your data as well, after all it will be in cloud that doesn't belong to you.

We're loosing ownership of our digital property. And it's not just big brother who's very happy with this trend.

I many ways we're very short sighted.

I can understand the business strategy that's Adobe is taking, but they could very well have left the options open to purchase or to lease the software.

The new OS system form apple will mean also having to update to cloud like it or not, since CS6 won't run as well on Mavericks, you can be sure of it … 100% sure.

The freedom we have worked so hard to keep is being ignored, and as a collective we're simply to stupid to realize it.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:21:21 pm

I've had leasing companies continue to withdraw payments after the lease was over despite the bank putting a stop payment on the automatic withdrawal. There are many unethical, predatory lenders and creditors operating. I don't believe for one moment that Adobe falls into that camp.

[Raymond Inauen] "So you can lease your computer, rent the software including the operating system, and go with the flow? I mean in the end that's the trend. "

There are still useful and powerful freeware solutions, Ubuntu, Blender, PixelConduit, VLC, FFmpeg, VLC, Open Office etc.

If one really needs to abandon big brother whether its the NSA or corporate overlords, there are still viable options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]