FORUMS: list search recent posts

I hope none of you shop at Target

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Huff
I hope none of you shop at Target
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:56:24 pm

Perhaps it's time to start shopping at Wal-Mart if you do?

Millions of Target customers' credit, debit card accounts may be hit by dat...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I hope none of you shop at Target
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:51:51 pm

Well for once, I take your point. This is much more serious than Adobe's security breach.

It also points to a far more serious issue.

My across-the-street neighbor is a data security guy for a BIG high-tech government contractor. Over beers, we were chewing the fat about internet security in general, and many companies' Pollyanna-like mass migration to the cloud in particular. In the course of the conversation I asked, "Well, just how secure is data in the cloud?"

His reply was, "It isn't."

My across-the-street neighbor can be a man of few words at times.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:30:33 pm

I thought about posting this story but didn't want to feel like I was beating a dead horse. Thanks for carrying the banner, Gary. lol

A couple of things I found interesting about this hack are that it only impacts cards physically swiped in stores (the Point of Sale system was hacked) and it cloned all the data about the card including the 3 digit security number on the back. The reason that caught my eye is because with a complete set of info like that you can make fully functioning, fake credit cards and many times the tip off to banks/CC companies that a charge might be fraudulent is when a purchase is made at a physical location but the card number is typed in instead of swiped.

Just another unfortunate example of 'when' not 'if'. My CC number has been stolen twice in the past 3 or 4 years and both times I believe it was via CC skimmers as the fraudulent purchases were all relatively close to me (w/in a couple hundred miles or so).

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:29:58 pm

I got up this morning to CNN anchors having the exact same debate: To what degree is this Targets fault for negligent security when they're responsible for their customers data? And how much responsibility do we all have to keep track of our own security?

Different company, different day. Same debate, same conclusions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:00:52 pm

In this case I think the onus is all on Target as a store customer, an end user of Target's POS (Point of Sale) system, has no part in the security of the transaction. This is different than, say, having an account with Target.com where both parties play a part in security.

If nothing else is a very potent reminder of how advanced thieves have become and that we should all strive to maintain at least basic levels of security best practices such as keeping an eye out for suspicious charges on bills, not writing down the PIN to the debt card *on* the debit card, and using tough, unique passwords.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:41:08 am

Closest Target is about 900 miles away. Whew! I'm safe.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:48:17 pm

I'm just in the process of changing my debit card to a new number. We didn't get bit (yet), but luckily with the debit card, it's just a matter of stopping in at the bank branch and having them issue a new card. We're also temporarily moving the money in the old account immediately to a holding account at another bank, just in case they try to use the number before the process finishes. Yipes!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:20:20 pm

I am also off to the bank. A minor inconvenience but much better than having to dispute stuff later down the road. Once the new card arrives going to change the PIN as well. An ounce of prevention is much better than the cure.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:49:07 pm

Doh! I went to Target on Black Friday and bought socks, paper towels and Lightroom 5. I feel so violated.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:23:55 am

That explains one...

I went to target on Black Friday too. What did I buy? One wooden turner/spatula, I don't think it was on sale.

The result is the third time my bank has issued me a new credit card this year. Fortunately they are on top of it.

Quite a hassle when I use the same card for auto pay on everything as well as regular purchases. Fortunately mobile apps and iCloud Keychain make the process of updating accounts easier.

Soon I'll have a system in place for updating credit card info that is as organized as my OS clean install procedure.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 10, 2014 at 6:02:20 pm

[Gary Huff] "Perhaps it's time to start shopping at Wal-Mart if you do?"

Just came across today on Yahoo Finance:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/target-says-data-breach-affected-70-million-c...

Talk about a double whammy here, the number has increased and even more personal information has been compromised.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]