FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vimeo - security issue continue

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pettit
Vimeo - security issue continue
on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:49:11 pm

Every time I think I'm finished with the consequences of Adobe's security breach, I'm reminded again. This from a few minutes ago.

No big deal to set my password again, even though it was different to begin with, but I must tell you I have not previously had this kind of disruption with other security issues with any other company I have ever done business with.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Vimeo - security issue continue
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:32:11 pm

[Chris Pettit] "No big deal to set my password again, even though it was different to begin with, but I must tell you I have not previously had this kind of disruption with other security issues with any other company I have ever done business with."

Vimeo, Evernote and other third parties are causing the widespread disruption though by forcing people to change their password.

Wait until the CC you use for a dozen auto-pay accounts gets lost or stolen. Now that's an irritating
disruption. ;)

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:44:04 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Vimeo, Evernote and other third parties are causing the widespread disruption though by forcing people to change their password."

Interesting perspective Andrew. Are you saying they're over-reacting? Because the initial catalyst is unquestionably the Adobe breach to begin with, and that's certainly NOT Vimeo's fault.

Are you saying that Vimeo should not react at all?

BTW, that's a sincere question, I'm not expert enough at security issues to know what IS and what IS NOT an appropriate response.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:59:49 pm

Vimeo, Evernote, etc., have chosen to lock users out of their accounts until the password is reset even if the user password is different than what was used at Adobe.com and that's not on Adobe, IMO. A 'heads up' email would have been sufficient.

If I lose my office key my car has no business locking me out until I get it re-keyed. ;)

If all websites did this every time there was a breach on a big site we would perpetually be updating our passwords.

I mean, Evernote got hacked earlier this year and info on all users was exposed and it just came out that Facebook, Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, Gmail and a payroll service (!) started getting hacked in late Oct and could very well still be getting hacked as of right now.

http://www.news10.net/news/national/264861/5/Almost-2-million-accounts-comp...

Does this mean in a few days I'll have to reset my Vimeo and Evernote passwords again? I hope not because I don't repeat passwords. No one should repeat passwords. I dunno, maybe make it a account setting someplace "If another major website gets hacked would you like us to lock you to of your account?Yes or No? If another major website gets hacked would you like us to send you a email about Internet security? Yes or No?"

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 7, 2013 at 12:34:42 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Dec 7, 2013 at 12:45:59 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Vimeo, Evernote, etc., have chosen to lock users out of their accounts until the password is reset even if the user password is different than what was used at Adobe.com and that's not on Adobe, IMO. A 'heads up' email would have been sufficient."

OK, so over-reaction is your objection. I get it.

I agree that the basic concept of "take responsibility for yourself" is part of this discussion. But is it possible that Vimeo sees the breach as so large and so egregious that they are concerned about liability if they don't react strongly? Do you blame Vimeo for covering thier flank with this blanket reaction? Again, they didn't get hacked. Adobe did.

[Andrew Kimery] "I dunno, maybe make it a account setting someplace "If another major website gets hacked would you like us to lock you to of your account?Yes or No? If another major website gets hacked would you like us to send you a email about Internet security? Yes or No?""

Interesting point again. Perhaps it's like my Honda beeping at me every time the car is moving and I don't have my seat belt on. How much intrusion is reasonable from companies that are trying to save us from ourselves? I guess I agree in principle..

But Adobe still allowed this particular change to all of our security circumstances. Although I agree about "nanny" protection from Vimeo, you cant escape the fact that we wouldn't be talking about it if Adobe's security was better.

EDIT: I've had some time to think about it. There is no question in my mind that this is about Vimeo avoiding liability. My guess is thier legal counsel is advising over-reaction rather than no reaction

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 7, 2013 at 1:23:22 am

[Chris Pettit] "I agree that the basic concept of "take responsibility for yourself" is part of this discussion. But is it possible that Vimeo sees the breach as so large and so egregious that they are concerned about liability if they don't react strongly? Do you blame Vimeo for covering thier flank with this blanket reaction? Again, they didn't get hacked. Adobe did."

Yes, I put the onus (I think 'blame' is too negative for this situation) on Vimeo for taking actions that are above and beyond what is considered a normal response to a security breach at another web site. Facebook, on the other hand, only locked users out if they used the same user name & password on both sites.

The inconsistency of the response also leads me to not put the onus Adobe for the actions of other sites. Again, I can prattle off a ton of security breaches ranging from Sony's Playstation Network to Evernote to Yahoo yet how many times did Vimeo force password resets? And of the many, many online accounts I have I think only Vimeo and Evernote have forced me to reset my password. Why didn't all my accounts force a reset? Maybe if locking users out of their other accounts was a common reaction to a hack on another site I'd put more blame on Adobe but it's not so I don't.

[Chris Pettit] "But Adobe still allowed this particular change to all of our security circumstances. Although I agree about "nanny" protection from Vimeo, you cant escape the fact that we wouldn't be talking about it if Adobe's security was better."

But why are we talking about it like it's an Adobe centric problem? I'd love to think that the Adobe hack could be a wake up call to users that rarely (if ever) think about proper online security but that's probably a pipe dream since in the FB/Yahoo/Gmail/LinkedIn hack that just happened the most common passwords were things like 12345, 123456789 and password. Ugh.

As nice as it is that some sites are going above and beyond to look out for their users it's ultimately our responsibility to manage our risk online just like in the real world (and maybe younger generations that grew up online will have a better time of this). All my passwords are unique so, for me, the Adobe hack started and stopped at Adobe.com… until I tried to use Vimeo and Evernote. ;)

Does Adobe need to do better? Yes. And so do users that don't practice rudimentary password security.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 7, 2013 at 4:20:03 am

[Andrew Kimery] "As nice as it is that some sites are going above and beyond to look out for their users it's ultimately our responsibility to manage our risk online just like in the real world (and maybe younger generations that grew up online will have a better time of this). "

Again I agree in general. We are responsible (individually) for trying to protect ourselves against threats manifesting themselves from a complex and rapidly changing system that we did not create and have relatively little control over, but nevertheless if we are going to involve ourselves in this world, it requires taking ownership. Fair enough.

One reminder though:

If I fail to be responsible with my personal internet security, then it endangers me, not you, not the guy down the street. Not other people, not Adobe, not anyone else. Just ME. If Adobe is irresponsible with it's internet security, the whole world has to re-calibrate. Do you accept that Adobe (or any other company with a similar record on security) has a higher standard to measure up to than the individual at all? At any level?

Which returns us to my initial observation: just when I think the "Adobe security" story is over, reminders of how far reaching THEIR failure to act re-manifests itself.

If I screw up tomorrow with my security, no one other than my clients (or my wife) will give a rats ass.

Big difference.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 7, 2013 at 4:26:33 am

[Chris Pettit] "If I screw up tomorrow with my security, no one other than my clients (or my wife) will give a rats ass.

Big difference."

Well said!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 7, 2013 at 2:45:05 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Do you accept that Adobe (or any other company with a similar record on security) has a higher standard to measure up to than the individual at all? At any level?"

See, the problem is when your password is "12345" for Adobe and everything else that you access on the Internet.

At what point, despite Adobe getting hacked, are you the problem?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 7, 2013 at 2:47:22 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Dec 7, 2013 at 2:47:51 pm

[Andrew Kimery] " Vimeo, Evernote, etc., have chosen to lock users out of their accounts until the password is reset even if the user password is different than what was used at Adobe.com and that's not on Adobe, IMO. A 'heads up' email would have been sufficient."

I should point out that I have not been required to reset my password on Vimeo or Evernote, passwords that are in no way the same as what I was using on Adobe's website.

So Chris, I haven't seen this mentioned yet (or perhaps I simply missed a reference to it)...but was your Vimeo password the same password that you used for your Adobe account?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:01:59 pm

[Gary Huff] "So Chris, I haven't seen this mentioned yet (or perhaps I simply missed a reference to it)...but was your Vimeo password the same password that you used for your Adobe account?"

Did you read my post Gary? No they were different

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 7, 2013 at 6:02:22 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Did you read my post Gary?"

I guess you missed the part where I said I might have just missed the reference to it?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:56:17 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Every time I think I'm finished with the consequences of Adobe's security breach, I'm reminded again. This from a few minutes ago."

Yep, I got that same message from Vimeo yesterday. Thanks Adobe!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:42:46 am

Changing my password every so often is a bit annoying but it is better than discovering someone has my bank account information.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:07:21 pm

Basically what rubs me the wrong way is the myopic position this forum, in general, has taken to bash Adobe over security while completely and utterly ignoring all the other hacks that take place. If people wanted to talk about the Adobe hack in context of online security and what companies and users can/should do in a world that's only going to get more and more connected, I think that could lead to some very interesting discussions. But that's not what any thread has been about. All the threads have been just another way to complain about Adobe by people that are mad about Creative Cloud. I'd bet dollars to donuts that if Creative Cloud didn't exist the 'sturm und drang' over the hack would a sliver of what it has been on industry forums.

In various threads (including this one) I've listed other, high profile hacks (including hacks of banks, payroll companies, email providers, corporate HR networks, etc.,. where vastly more damaging info was exposed) and those examples have been routinely ignored. It's almost as if no one cares about online security except how it pertains to their ability to rip a company that's already in their dog house.

Evernote has been getting pats on the back for being proactive yet in May of this year they were hacked and all 50 million of their users' info was exposed. Oops. In the past few months many high profile forums (including Macrumors.com) were hacked (due to a flaw in the Vbulletin forums software) and user info was exposed. Yahoo's email security has been breached multiple times over the past year allowing outsiders to take control of compromised accounts yet no one here seems... to... care.

For users that practice the most basic, rudimentary, don't-take-candy-from-strangers level of online security the worst thing that happens from the Adobe hack is that they change their Adobe.com password and they cancel their credit card attached to that account. That's it. That's not a life altering scenario. The level of threat is on par to when I hand my credit card over to a server at restaurant, use it to open a tab at a bar, or trust that the card reader on the gas pump hasn't been compromised (which is a growing way to steal CC numbers).

Like I said in my last post, Adobe needs to do better. And so do users. I'm not going to lose sleep over Adobe's hack though because 1. I practice good password security and 2. Adobe's info on me is very limited. I expect much higher security from companies such as banks, email providers, credit card companies, etc., that hold much more sensitive, private information. Also like I've said in previous posts, I think stolen code is much more worrisome than the user info because the code can potentially be leveraged against a user base that dwarfs the Adobe.com customer base.

Perspective is what I feel like keeps getting lost.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 8, 2013 at 9:22:30 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I'd bet dollars to donuts that if Creative Cloud didn't exist the 'sturm und drang' over the hack would a sliver of what it has been on industry forums."

You are damn right it wouldn't. How much did people talk up a storm over Apple when that journalist had his account hacked by people who used social engineering? And then wiped his computer?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:39:20 am

[Andrew Kimery] " I'd bet dollars to donuts that if Creative Cloud didn't exist the 'sturm und drang' over the hack would a sliver of what it has been on industry forums."

Once again, I basically agree (getting tired of saying that I guess). Would I have posted this particular message from vimeo if it wasn't related to the Adobe debate? If it was a breach from Maxon instead of Adobe? Probably not. Good point.

But then Maxon is not asking me to completely change how I do business, Adobe is. Additionally, no other company has ever previously allowed a security breach the forced me to have to reset my password on Vimeo, and I've had an account for years now.

So pointing out that this is the first time, and that it is directly and exclusively related to the Adobe breach is somehow "bashing" Adobe? Poor Adobe. The 7th largest software company in the world is at such a disadvantage compared to little ol' me beating up on them.

Bully that I am.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:51:19 am

[Chris Pettit] "But then Maxon is not asking me to completely change how I do business, Adobe is."

Which has nothing to do with this topic. Maxon has the same personal information that Adobe has.

[Chris Pettit] "Additionally, no other company has ever previously allowed a security breach the forced me to have to reset my password on Vimeo, and I've had an account for years now."

This is actually a new development, which is why you're just now seeing it. Expect to see more of it in the future from other companies.

[Chris Pettit] " The 7th largest software company in the world is at such a disadvantage compared to little ol' me beating up on them."

Adobe needs no defense, in fact, since their security measures fail to live up to what they should have been, they deserve some scorn.

Except for you to come here and basically blow up over something you don't care about from anyone else, is pretty disingenuous. And I fail to see how simply pointing it out is somehow "bashing" you.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:06:01 am

[Gary Huff] " And I fail to see how simply pointing it out is somehow "bashing" you."

this is the second time you appear to have failed to read the actual posts Gary. I said no such thing. Andrew said the following:

"...the myopic position this forum, in general, has taken to bash Adobe over security while completely and utterly ignoring all the other hacks that take place..."

Feel free to show me where I in any way said that someone is bashing "me". The reference was from Andrew, and it referred to "bashing" Adobe, not me.

I can honestly tell you that I continue to be completely confused by your posts.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:39:02 am

[Chris Pettit] "
I can honestly tell you that I continue to be completely confused by your posts."

I wasn't directly referencing this current topic.

[Chris Pettit] "Gary, I can honestly tell you I have no idea why you're so angry and confrontational.

If you can interpret postings this way, then why can't I?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:59:37 am

??????????

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:59:35 pm

[Chris Pettit] " ??????????"

You posted just to contribute this? If you're still confused, then let's rehash:

[Chris Pettit] "But then Maxon is not asking me to completely change how I do business, Adobe is. Additionally, no other company has ever previously allowed a security breach the forced me to have to reset my password on Vimeo, and I've had an account for years now.

So pointing out that this is the first time, and that it is directly and exclusively related to the Adobe breach is somehow "bashing" Adobe? Poor Adobe. The 7th largest software company in the world is at such a disadvantage compared to little ol' me beating up on them.

Bully that I am."

So first of all, you're taking up a strawman argument. No one is saying you are a bully, or that you a big, bad 'ole mean person for saying negative things against Adobe. The problem is that what you say is hypocritical at best (you take them to task for an issue that would otherwise be a non-issue for you if you weren't upset that playing with the new version of Premiere required an ongoing monthly payment) and flippant at worst (the constant comparisons to economic systems that have caused undue pain and suffering with a glib kind of "we got you Adobe!" attitude).

The fact that you apparently have to take up that flag and wave it around every time something is pointed out, plus your propensity towards making insinuations that, perhaps, I find your "bashing" of Adobe emotionally upsetting, seems to indicate that the reverse is true for you...that not following in lock-step with your opinion means that I am against you.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:49:58 pm

[Gary Huff] ".that not following in lock-step with your opinion means that I am against you."

Absolute nonsense. Since we cant seem to have a civilized debate Gary, I will once again just quit trying

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:11:15 pm

> Chris
In my eyes, you're probably the person who is most (of all -me included ;) keen to maintain (?) the discussion objectively and without aggression
> Greg
But that doesn´t mean I don´t want to read your point of view. Also or especially when you are very direct with criticism.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 4:49:36 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Since we cant seem to have a civilized debate Gary, I will once again just quit trying"

Perhaps if civilized debate is what you're after, you would refrain from making comments in the future about me supposedly being angry, and full of ugliness and vitriol?

Or is that not something you would prefer to let go of?

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:56:48 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:58:28 pm

[Gary Huff] "Maxon has the same personal information that Adobe has"

Wrong.

I don´t have to give MAXON my CreditCard information.
I can pay per Pre-Cash. Reseller. Per bill (long time client). And so on.
Also if I use the maintenance plan, which has to be payed continuously.
Nearby every SW can be bought by using more secure payment-methods like PayPal, bank-transfer or others.
I don´t like payment via Web and CreditCard (and the hazel I had to change my Cred. Card because of this hack).

If I want to order via "Adobe" I MUST give them my credit card info (or order via [eg] Amazon, but there are only a few of the order-options available).

You are right, every company can be hacked. No question.
But I think, a company (Nr 7 SW developer worldwide), who want´s to establish somewhat like a trustful cloud in the market has to take special care of it´s clients data.
And the way "Adobe" encrypted the information (as far as I know & read) seems to be not very professional.
Also, that they waited a month, before they told us, what happened isn´t OK in my eyes.
("Adobe" was informed about in August - First "Adobe" info to us - the clients - was in September, a few days after their business report).
Not directly related to the cloud- debate, but may be a interesting aspect.

That vimeo warnt it´s customers is OK and exemplary in my eyes.
Vimeo is a Video-Platform & many of their uploaders are users of Video-Software (which mostly/often is software from "Adobe").
It´s known as insecure and not recommendable, but many people are using the same combination of username and password on different sites.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:53:52 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "I can pay per Pre-Cash. Reseller. Per bill (long time client). And so on."

I can walk into Best Buy and purchase a "gift card" like thing for Creative Cloud, plus I could purchase a "Creative Cloud for Teams" account through VideoGuys, so I don't see your point.

[Rainer Schubert] "Nearby every SW can be bought by using more secure payment-methods like PayPal, bank-transfer or others."

The fact that you would apparently say that these are "more secure payment-methods" with a straight face, tells me all I need to know.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:44:39 pm

[Gary Huff] "I can walk into Best Buy and purchase a "gift card" like thing for Creative Cloud, plus I could purchase a "Creative Cloud for Teams" account through VideoGuys, so I don't see your point."

Only for a one year subscription, as far as I know (may be it´s different in US).
For all the continuous payments (abo) you have to order directly via Adobe.

[Gary Huff] "The fact that you would apparently say that these are "more secure payment-methods" with a straight face, tells me all I need to know.
"

Both methods (PayPal & bank tranfer) have guaranties for me, in case of trouble.
My bank (PayPal is a bank also) can be hacked too. Sure.
Only if this happens (ever heard off?) a criminal has the information, he could abuse.
What´s wrong with my argument in your eyes?
(I´m talking of secure payment - not ordering services/products from corrupted web-sites)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 4:51:05 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Dec 9, 2013 at 5:09:30 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "(I´m talking of secure payment - not ordering services/products from corrupted web-sites)"

I think you have a complete misunderstanding of what goes on in the backend when you make payments over the web.

Plus, your distinction between paying for a year upfront and monthly payments is rather tenuous at best. The option is still available, and you haven't shown anything that says otherwise.

Remember, if perpetual license was still available, it would be about the same, if not a little more (I can't remember the numbers of an upgrade off the top of my head).

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:49:25 pm

[Gary Huff] "I think you have a complete misunderstanding of what goes on in the backend when you make payments over the web"
I don´t think so. If I pay via banktransfer or Paypal, ONLY my bank (or paypal) have my personal information.
The company I buy from only gets the money. No information, they can abuse.
What´s my misunderstanding?

[Gary Huff] "Plus, your distinction between paying for a year upfront and monthly payments is rather tenuous at best."
"Adobe" wants to make us believe, is, that one advantage of this so called "cloud" is, that you can rent on demand (monthly).
So if you want to buy this... Only with CreditCard at Adobe.

[Gary Huff] "Remember, if perpetual license was still available, it would be about the same"
Price?
Never. The so called "Cloud" is more expansive after 3-6 yrs compared to the former (always upgraded) Std. Suites.
And also Master Collection (always upgraded) was cheaper if you make the math over 10-11 yrs.
Payment?
Boxed software was available at my Reseller. No CreditCard necessary.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:23:38 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "Price?
Never. The so called "Cloud" is more expansive after 3-6 yrs compared to the former (always upgraded) Std. Suites.
And also Master Collection (always upgraded) was cheaper if you make the math over 10-11 yrs.
Payment?
Boxed software was available at my Reseller. No CreditCard necessary.
"

Only if you assume Adobe would keep the same pricing structure and I don't think they would since they were trying to find ways to generate more revenue. For example, after CS 5.5 Adobe announced they were going to a yearly release schedule and upgrade prices were only available if you owned the previous year's software. So if you owned 5.5 you could get an upgrade price for 6.0 but if you owned 5.0 you had to pay full price for 6.0. This was squarely aimed at common practice of skipping a version but still being eligible for upgrade pricing.

IMO if Adobe didn't go with CC they either would have found another way to raise prices on perpetual licenses or cut back on development (costs) in order to hit the profit goals they wanted.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:15:12 pm

I made the math with all upgrades taken (as I - for example - took always).
Comment was simply in response to "(perpetual) ...would be about the same, if not a little more".
I´ve no problem with the prices - wether CS nor the so called "cloud", as I´m a user who needs Apps of all the fields (Print; Vid, Web,...).
Different with users that only need one or two of the Apps.

If I have a look to some PS competitors:
How can they offer solutions for a minimum, while their Applications get more and more mature and useable?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:16:51 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "How can they offer solutions for a minimum, while their Applications get more and more mature and useable?"

Well, what is your solution?

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:22:04 pm

How meant?
What I use now?
PS is (as it is the most complete selection of tools in image editing) not replaceable by one application at the moment.
But my PS CS6 is still good for next years.
I try to use alternatives, wherever I can.
(using GIMP, Pixelmator, Photoline & some others - depends on what I work)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:19:33 pm

[Chris Pettit] "But then Maxon is not asking me to completely change how I do business, Adobe is. Additionally, no other company has ever previously allowed a security breach the forced me to
have to reset my password on Vimeo, and I've had an account for years now. "

Vimeo forced you reset your password, not Adobe. To the best of my knowledge only Diapers.com (but not parent company Amazon.com), Vimeo and Evernote forced password resets to users that had the same email address attached to Adobe.com. Facebook only forced password resets for users that used the same email address and password on both sites. There were various ways for Vimeo to handle the situation and they chose to go with the nuclear option and their choice to do that is not Adobe's fault. They could've just sent out email warnings, they could've done what Facebook did or they could've done nothing (which is what the vast majority of the Internet chose to do).

I appreciate that these sites tried to get ahead of a potential problem but I think Facebook handled it the best and the others would've been fine just sending out warnings via email and suggesting that users changes their passwords if they aren't unique. I say that largely because if this preemptive trend catches on I don't want to be forced into resetting dozens of passwords every time there is a hack when all my passwords are already unique.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:36:18 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Vimeo forced you reset your password, not Adobe. "

That's true. As I said, I'm not sure what the appropriate response really should be. Vimeo choose to handle it that way, they may very well have overreacted

I agree about not wanting to have to change passwords every time there's security concerns as well.

It is also true though the catalyst is Adobe's security problems.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 9, 2013 at 8:11:27 pm

[Chris Pettit] "It is also true though the catalyst is Adobe's security problems."

But the point is that if it was Adobe, it would be someone else.

Or are you expecting a time when security is 100% effective and this will never happen?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:32:57 pm

[Chris Pettit] "It is also true though the catalyst is Adobe's security problems."

Yes, but the reaction to the catalyst seems to be arbitrary. Besides Adobe, 10's of millions of user accounts have been exposed in 2013 alone (50 million from the Evernote hack alone) yet Vimeo just reacts to one even though I'm sure there are many Vimeo account holders that also have accounts with Evernote, Yahoo, Apple, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, etc.,. The Adobe.com breach was the biggest I heard of, so maybe that's why Vimeo only took action on that one but the 50mil from Evernote seems like it would fall into the too big to ignore category too.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:48:17 pm

You make good points Andrew, I don't disagree

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]