FORUMS: list search recent posts

A different take on Adobe's CC pricing structure

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kolb
A different take on Adobe's CC pricing structure
on May 10, 2013 at 12:30:12 am

CNET has a column on this...seems like some see a silver lining here in at least some respects:

http://tinyurl.com/bulpa3r

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
Re: A different take on Adobe's CC pricing structure
on May 10, 2013 at 2:05:21 am

Already another article to answer some of the negative feedback.... at least it sounds like they are listening.....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57583817-92/adobe-mulls-creative-cloud-twe...

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 10, 2013 at 2:30:59 am

[Michael Hendrix] "at least it sounds like they are listening....."

They're a business. It's about retaining customers. If customers are unhappy and cease purchasing your product, it's all over... So you adjust your tactics. Adobe has come much too far on this road to suddenly become deaf.

I have been expecting to hear some evolving arrangements since the announcement as I think there are several areas where they really didn't match the product breadth to the specific customers very elegantly, and many of those concerns are justified...and even John Nack (who is a long time Adobe Photoshop staff member) hears the concern about having access to files should you decide to move to a competitor's product.

However I suspect that direct emails with constructive criticisms and clear descriptions of the dealbreaker issues stated by someone in a professional tone are having a more direct effect than temper tantrums, vague petitions, and name-calling.

So...there you go...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 10, 2013 at 6:23:28 am

Please don't take this as gloating, because it isn't, just reporting. There were 677 comments to the first article that cast CC in a positive light relative to cost. Some sort of a record for CNET. The article glossed the issue of access to work if you dropped your subscription. Of those comments the overwhelming majority were negative toward the article and the rental concept of Creative Cloud.

The second article on the same subject on the same day (another new CNET record?) reported that Adobe seems to be considering some sort of limited access to files, but really just a moderate acknowledgement that they may have a problem here. But I do believe Adobe is thinking about this issue and may respond to it in some manner. Seems to be getting interesting.

First article: http://tinyurl.com/bulpa3r Thanks Tim Kolb

Second article: http://tinyurl.com/d5zwu3q Thanks Michael Hendrix

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 10, 2013 at 8:18:55 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Please don't take this as gloating, because it isn't, just reporting. "

I don't see it as gloating. I suspected that some alterations would happen...many of the objections voiced are legitimate.

I objected to the constant implications of greed and thievery when really, it was a plan that needed some alteration and better communication from my perspective.

Keep in mind that even with some changes, the idea of dropping out of subscription into perpetual license may still not happen...and I think the parallel development necessary to offer both a perpetual license or a subscription may be or not be practical.

Time will tell, but once again, I'd urge the voodoo dolls with "ADBE" printed on them to be put back in the drawer, and put the letter to your congressman on hold for a bit and just communicate like human beings and professionals.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 11, 2013 at 3:34:41 am

Where are those comments? I can't see them on the page.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 10, 2013 at 5:50:09 am

[Michael Hendrix] "Already another article to answer some of the negative feedback.... at least it sounds like they are listening....."

It's interesting to see the cost benefit spread over 3 years.

Within that time frame the new structure clearly offers benefits. But from the customer / consumers point of view that's when it all starts to fall apart because, not owning the software, you will be forced to continue the subscription in order to access ongoing work.

Whether at that stage people will still feel the benefit is debatable.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 10, 2013 at 6:30:50 am

An option to buy a perpetual license from the start or anytime during your subscription would be very nice. Since this is not likely anytime soon Apple, Avid and others have an excellent opportunity to increase their customer base. Adobe had an opportunity but they failed.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 10, 2013 at 1:20:30 pm

They haven't failed yet, David. Why not wait until the dust settles? Unlike the fruit company which sells software, Adobe listens...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 10, 2013 at 8:42:37 pm

I will keep an open mind and see what direction to go after the dust settles. Adobe does listen and I need to give them a chance.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 10, 2013 at 4:38:50 pm

[David Mathis] "Adobe had an opportunity but they failed."

So...4 days and it's game over...?

(chuckle)

I usually get immediate and universal ultimatums like that from my teenage children.

Perhaps if you take the opportunity to weigh in constructively, you may find Adobe's window hasn't quite slammed shut just yet.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]