FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just a thought

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brame
Just a thought
on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:33:48 pm

First of all, this should in no way be taken as an attempt at an excuse for Adobe. I have already had an illegal purchased made with the card that Adobe had on file. Was it from the Adobe hack? Who knows? But I cannot, in good conscience, drone on and on about Adobe's lack of security while I will , without a second thought, hand the same information over to a perfect stranger several times weekly, just as most of us do.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Just a thought
on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:06:12 pm

In this case, it's a lot like losing your house key. If that happens, what's the prudent thing to? Change the locks.

But ALSO in this case, you wouldn't be the one who lost the house key. The person to whom you entrusted it lost the key. Are you disposed to have warmer, fuzzier feelings towards this person?

And it also brings to mind another question: if someone else lost your house key -- someone to whom you had entrusted it -- would you not expect that person to Do The Right Thing and pay for changing the locks?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Adobe to do that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:15:20 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Are you disposed to have warmer, fuzzier feelings towards this person"

As was pointed out in the very first sentence of my post - no.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:54:39 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "But ALSO in this case, you wouldn't be the one who lost the house key. The person to whom you entrusted it lost the key. Are you disposed to have warmer, fuzzier feelings towards this person?"

That's a terrible example. You don't have to give out your house key to do basic business transactions, which you have to do with your credit card information.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:52:32 am

Oh, quit splitting hairs. You know darned well that I was addressing the issue of security... or lack thereof.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 18, 2013 at 1:24:43 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Oh, quit splitting hairs. You know darned well that I was addressing the issue of security... or lack thereof."

I know what you were addressing...but your analogy was completely flawed and that's what I was pointing out.

[Dave LaRonde] "And it also brings to mind another question: if someone else lost your house key -- someone to whom you had entrusted it -- would you not expect that person to Do The Right Thing and pay for changing the locks?"

A few years ago, I had a friend whose CC number was stolen by the individual working the drive-through window at a Jack in the Box (which had have given his credit card over to for a simple business transaction...not at all like the scenario where you would give someone a key to your house). By your analogy, it seems like Jack in the Box is the "person" who has to "Do the Right Thing" and "pay for changing the locks." Though considering liability is pretty much "zero" now from what I understand, I don't know what payment is involved in changing those locks.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Nov 18, 2013 at 2:56:16 pm

[Gary Huff] "(which had have given his credit card over to for a simple business transaction"

Which brings us back to the original point of this thread. It's interesting how we can castigate a company for security holes(not saying that Adobe shouldn't necessarily be castigated), yet fail to employ security procedures on our own quite often by handing our cards over, along with our signature, to complete strangers, so that they can totally disappear with them for several minutes.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:36:18 pm

While the number is very large on the latest incident there are a few things to consider. There is a large volume of credit card transactions that place on a daily basis. A large number are completed without incident. It is when news like this comes out we wonder how secure our information really is.

Anytime you use your credit card while eating out, in a store or online there is always the risk of your information being compromised. I will grant you this latest security breach is a bit frightening but we need to keep things in perspective.

You get on the highway, you are a careful driver but the person next to you may not be. You stand under a tree, part of the tree can fall on you without warning. We need to be aware of what is going on but not go into panic mode.

I check my account balance daily and look for anything suspicious. Promptly notify the bank about any unauthorized transaction and get it resolved rather quickly. A hassle, a pain perhaps but stay on top of things just in case.

The main reason I will not subscribe to CC is because there is no clear exit strategy. I would like to own a copy with the option of renting on a as need basis. The security breach is not the main reason I will avoid renting my software, there is no exit strategy.

These are my thoughts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]