FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe now offering 3 years locked at reduced sucscription price

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Adobe now offering 3 years locked at reduced sucscription price
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:28:54 pm

My dealer contacted me with an offer that is hard to refuse. CC at under half price with binding for 3 years.
Offer ends November 29th. and FCPX10.1 does not come before December. Confused?

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: Adobe now offering 3 years locked at reduced sucscription price
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:50:49 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Confused?"

Nope. If the applications stop working if you decide to leave after three years, it's still not good enough. Let me keep a working archive copy and I'm all in. Otherwise, no sale.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:07:46 pm

Yet more discounts, still no solution to the "off ramp" issue. What happens in 4 years? And not so much about price. What about protecting the work? No thanks. I won't subject my business and my work to that uncertainty, finite term discounts don't solve the core problem with mandatory CC.

Same story, different day.

BTW, could it be that Adobe is looking just a little bit desperate?

Return to posts index

Rick McClelland
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:46:39 pm

Yeah, now we're getting close. Give me a permanent version at the end and it's all cylinders a go on the CC train.

Out of curiosity, is there a link or somewhere that you got from your dealer? I'm looking around the Adobe website and I'm just seeing the normal discount for current CS users (30/mo), a team plan for existing CS customers (40/mo), and student pricing (20/mo). Are any of these the plans you're referring to or is this a special offer for some customers?

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:22:15 pm

Apparantly this is a special deal with this dealer (Denmark), but shows where it is all going. I'm sure Premiere will get an option to save as CS 6 unless they changed too may things that won't let it happen. But Surely not what Adobe are focusing on now.

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:46:42 pm

[Rick McClelland] "Yeah, now we're getting close. Give me a permanent version at the end and it's all cylinders a go on the CC train. "

I wouldn't even need the 3 year discount to jump on board if they would simply give us the off ramp.

Return to posts index

Rick McClelland
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:25:52 pm

Yeah, but I'm not expecting them to just open up perpetual licensing. I've thought the whole time that it'd be pretty fair for both sides if they did a 3 year lock-in subscription and at the end gave you a permanent version of the software as it stands at that moment.

This way, we get to access our files without worrying about subscribing forever. They get our money and as long as the service is as good as they claim (updates continue to be awesome, cloud storage and fonts, and whatever other perks they want to bundle with it), people will probably have no problem signing on again for another few years. I know I wouldn't anyway.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:07:42 pm

[Rick McClelland] "Yeah, but I'm not expecting them to just open up perpetual licensing. I've thought the whole time that it'd be pretty fair for both sides if they did a 3 year lock-in subscription and at the end gave you a permanent version of the software as it stands at that moment.

This way, we get to access our files without worrying about subscribing forever. They get our money and as long as the service is as good as they claim (updates continue to be awesome, cloud storage and fonts, and whatever other perks they want to bundle with it), people will probably have no problem signing on again for another few years. I know I wouldn't anyway."

We're saying the same thing. Some way of maintaining access to the tools and protecting the work in return for subscriptions over a finite period of time. Sounds like a great compromise to me, in the absence of the outright PL I would prefer.

Here's the bad news: It's possible that from the perspective of some at Adobe (trying to put myself in their shoes for a moment), granting permanent access after subscriptions stop is essentially still a PL, just one that takes 3 years to pay for. Adobe may be concerned about looking like they're simply "financing" the purchase of a PL by extending terms for a period of time, kind of like weird "rent to own" software. And assuming my assumptions are correct, the reason they're not talking about options other than these crazy discounts is because the "pro mandatory" crowd at Adobe would rather pull teeth than do that. Their putting their careers at stake and their heads fully underground to try and pull out enough subscriptions to continue on their merry way and simply ignore their former customers. And if they do that, then the big race to find and develop competing products from other sources is on (I suspect it's already begun).

So in the end it's possible there will never be a compromise, just PLs or NO PLs. They win or we win.

Which considering I've always seen Adobe as a partner, not an antagonist, is an appalling state of affairs.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:23:05 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Which considering I've always seen Adobe as a partner, not an antagonist, is an appalling state of affairs."

Well said.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Nov 14, 2013 at 12:42:53 am

Adobe can sell the software and offer a mantance package that if you stop paying you loose any chance too get upgrades unless you pay an extra fee but if you dont you get to keep your unupgradable version forever.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:30:20 pm

Yep, this is a new pitch that still doesn't address the core issue of long term access to our work or ownership of our tools.

Just like yesterday, if I start a project in Premiere CC, I will have to be actively subscribed if I EVER wish to open it in the future.

GIVE. US. A. PERPETUAL. OPTION. ADOBE!

You have squandered a boatload of goodwill with this mandatory subscription nonsense.

Some of your biggest proponents are hoping you fail right now and it doesn't have to be this way!

-mike

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:05:33 pm

Looks like cc subscription is not going well. lets see 3 years at rock bottom price takes us into the 4 year of cc thats when they need to have 4 million subscribers hmmmm. they have started early looks like the projections made have gobe downhill. cc is dead.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:38:29 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "Looks like cc subscription is not going well."

Or, it could be that they are trying to find the sweet spot between the most $ per subscription with the most users they can possibly get.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:05:37 pm

I disagree. this new offer will offset there financial calculations by much. if they are doing this for 3'years its because the subscription rate is going down. if they catch them now they figure that it will get them closer to 4million users.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:35:40 pm

Adobes fiscal year ends November 29th. That is why they are making these offers with that deadline. My dealer expressed that he was happy with the new subscription only method. Apparently it is easier for dealers to manage this us clients that way.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 14, 2013 at 5:12:45 am

If they would offer a 18 month subscription fixed rate plan with the option of a perpetual license at the end of the term I would be more than happy to subscribe.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:30:42 am

[David Mathis] "If they would offer a 18 month subscription fixed rate plan with the option of a perpetual license at the end of the term I would be more than happy to subscribe."

How much would you be willing to pay a month for it? Keeping in mind that the CS6 Master Collection is, what, $2500?

I'd like to see more pricing 'packages' (similar to the various CS suites) as opposed to the one-size-fits-all approach CC is now. Given the current regular montly price of $50, I'd also like something along the lines of, say, after 4yrs you get a PL for the most recent version of all the apps you subscribe to. If you choose to continue with CC you start accruing time towards a PL in another 4 years. I'm picking four years since $600/yr x 4 = about the cost of a Master Collection PL.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:18:28 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I'd like to see more pricing 'packages' (similar to the various CS suites) as opposed to the one-size-fits-all approach CC is now. Given the current regular montly price of $50, I'd also like something along the lines of, say, after 4yrs you get a PL for the most recent version of all the apps you subscribe to. If you choose to continue with CC you start accruing time towards a PL in another 4 years. I'm picking four years since $600/yr x 4 = about the cost of a Master Collection PL."

I would be willing to pay around $150 a month for with the option for a buyout option at the end of the 18 month period. Short term this would be a bit expensive but also have the option to get the perpetual license earlier. For those wanting to do a buyout option after a 4 year subscription plan is also ideal. More pricing plans would be would better for everyone.

Return to posts index

Gerrit Van Dyke
on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:47:26 pm

Pardon my ignorance on this (I'm still on CS6), but if you decide to cancel your subscription, and in a year, need to open the project, can't you just rent that program for a month for $20?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:53:42 pm

[Gerrit Van Dyke] "Pardon my ignorance on this (I'm still on CS6), but if you decide to cancel your subscription, and in a year, need to open the project, can't you just rent that program for a month for $20?"

Yes.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:00:29 pm

I was going through the options and it looks like you have to have an annual commitment. At least that is what I am seeing. Also noticed a monthly plan for a higher amount but you can cancel at anytime without paying a penalty for doing so.

Return to posts index

Dustin Lawhorn
on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:54:36 pm

[David Mathis] "I was going through the options and it looks like you have to have an annual commitment. At least that is what I am seeing. Also noticed a monthly plan for a higher amount but you can cancel at anytime without paying a penalty for doing so."

Which is another way of Adobe saying "We don't really want your loyalty to our products because they work well/are better/or whatever; we just want your money on a regular basis. If you aren't on board with our plan; then, we'll charge you more for the same thing." Again, a great deal for the company, a bad deal for me.

-dl

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:16:39 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:35:03 pm

Did the business model used to be make a great product at a fair price, remember the customer is always right and they will come back to do business with us again if their experience was a good one? Perhaps it is possible I was dreaming of the ideal world or just remembered how things used to be.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 15, 2013 at 12:29:28 am
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Nov 15, 2013 at 12:30:18 am

[David Mathis] "I was going through the options and it looks like you have to have an annual commitment. At least that is what I am seeing."

For the entire suite, yes. But for the individual app for $20 that you could use to open an old project, no.

Never mind...just looked. It doesn't have the drop-down like the full-buffett plan does on the main page.

It's $30 to do that instead of $20.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]