Handy online tool to verify whether your Adobe ID is in the list

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herbert van der wegen
Handy online tool to verify whether your Adobe ID is in the list
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:17:10 pm

http://adobe.breach.il.ly/

Very handy. My Adobe ID is in the list.

Why couldn't Adobe give us a service like that? At least now I have certainty.

And I'd like to add that I am stumped as to why the people responsible at Adobe for encrypting those passwords neglected to use a cryptographic hash - such a basic mistake, it's almost criminal for a large company.

No, let me rephrase that: it IS criminal. And beyond stupid. But I suppose one of the Adobe managers decided this was a grand idea.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: Handy online tool to verify whether your Adobe ID is in the list
on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:50:23 pm

Its all stupefyingly boneheaded. I'm on the list and have never had any contact from Adobe regarding the breach.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:04:47 pm

Join the club - I never received a warning either. But I am still in that list.

System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:30:59 pm

And speaking of security + healthy paranoia, how can I know that the curious and unfamiliar link you have provided is legit and not an effort for something nefarious?

RBG

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:56:31 pm

[Rob Brandreth-Gibbs] "And speaking of security + healthy paranoia, how can I know that the curious and unfamiliar link you have provided is legit and not an effort for something nefarious?"

I just tried the list with a number of active email addresses that I and my partners use. The only addresses on the list were the two I know for a fact were used to register our Adobe purchases. All other emails tested negative.

This seems legit to me.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:17:17 pm

As far as I know this database is based on the stolen list from Adobe.

Sidebar listed it yesterday, and those guys would not refer to a link that is untrusted (well, here's hoping ;-)

http://sidebar.io/2013/11/10

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:17:18 pm

Hi,
We are aware that a number of websites have recently appeared, claiming to let users "validate" whether their Adobe IDs and passwords were taken and require a password change. These sites are not reliable sources of information on whether or not a particular user ID is at risk.

In my own experience, I have cross checked folks using these sites and complaining they are there, when they are fine in our own database.

Personally, I would steer clear of these websites and urge you to do the same.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:11:47 am

THe worry I have about a site like this is that they are just trying to confirm active emails. or build a spam list. I recieved an email warning from adobe that my account password may have been compromised. I promptly changed the password.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:16:58 am

Isn't a site such as the above one using the data from the same database that was stolen from Adobe? I am confused now. The list does not say whether your account is at risk, but merely confirms whether or not your email address is listed in the stolen database. That, to me, is enough to warrant a password change on my part.

Even if, according to you and Adobe, we should not trust these lists, why should we trust Adobe when they allowed such a breach in security? Are you saying I should not change my password? Because I never received a warning from Adobe to do so.

If you say these websites cannot be trusted, why not set up a similar check in our Adobe Accounts so we can see whether or not our accounts were part of that breach or not?

I understand Adobe's reluctance here, though. Bad publicity. And yes, one needs to be careful on the web - but the aforementioned links seems quite legit.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:29:21 am

Hi Herbert,

[Herbert van der wegen] "Isn't a site such as the above one using the data from the same database that was stolen from Adobe?"

I don't know. The only one that knows is the person that built that site.

[Herbert van der wegen] "The list does not say whether your account is at risk, but merely confirms whether or not your email address is listed in the stolen database. "

Yes, but your name might not be in the database, and this site just got your working email.

[Herbert van der wegen] "Even if, according to you and Adobe, we should not trust these lists, why should we trust Adobe when they allowed such a breach in security? Are you saying I should not change my password? Because I never received a warning from Adobe to do so."

All I'm saying is that these sites are probably not legit, and are likely not doing it for the good of humanity. My guess is that they're just collecting working email addresses. That's why there are a number of them are popping up.

In any case, yes, change all your passwords. That can never hurt, only help.

[Herbert van der wegen] "If you say these websites cannot be trusted, why not set up a similar check in our Adobe Accounts so we can see whether or not our accounts were part of that breach or not?
"

We sent out emails to affected customers.

[Herbert van der wegen] "I understand Adobe's reluctance here, though. Bad publicity. And yes, one needs to be careful on the web - but the aforementioned links seems quite legit."

I didn't post for any other reason than to warn you not to give your info to these rogue sites going up.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:25:53 am

[Kevin Monahan] "Personally, I would steer clear of these websites and urge you to do the same."

Maybe Adobe should offer an official version, so that people who didn't get your email (because e-mail isn't exactly 100% reliable) can check their accounts?

And then hopefully apply industry-leading security to our details instead of what appears to have happened before.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:32:25 am

[Steve Connor] "Maybe Adobe should offer an official version, so that people who didn't get your email (because e-mail isn't exactly 100% reliable) can check their accounts?"

Hi Steve,
We sent out emails to all affected customers. That's what management decided to do to alert people. I'm not privy to any info on such a website, or whether one will be available in the future.

Sorry if this doesn't seem satisfactory for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:44:26 am

[Kevin Monahan] "Sorry if this doesn't seem satisfactory for you. "

Thanks for putting your head above the parapet to warn people about the dangers of this site and I understand that these aren't your decisions, but there's a LOT about the whole situation that is unsatisfactory to me.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:56:38 am

On a related note, a popular Mac forum (MacRumors) got hacked and all user accounts were exposed.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11/hack-of-macrumors-forums-exposes-pa...

I don't repeat passwords but between the Adobe hack, this (I'm a member at MR) and just reading more about password security I've just done a whole changing of all my passwords. To quote a comment from the Ars article I linked to:

"At this point with a new vulnerability or DB dump seeming to happen every week, it's more than likely that a site I interact with is going to be compromised eventually."

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:31:41 pm

Jeremy mentioned something earlier about they have your e-mail and maybe IP address. I deleted my original post because I feel as if I was overreacting to this entire situation. My apologies in advance if I overstepped my boundary. I am not sure if this comment was in direct connection to my original post or about the website mentioned in the first post.

Please advise and accept my apologies.

Here is the comment I wish to apologize for:

I would like to know why Adobe is keeping secret about this latest incident. I can understand Adobe being silent on some items but feel that an e-mail is just not sufficient for me and perhaps others.

I would like to add I am glad they send me an e-mail and I promptly changed my password. I am very careful about clicking on any link I feel is suspicious.

Again my apologies, just being over paranoid about the whole situation.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:15:30 am

[David Mathis] " I would like to know why Adobe has been so secret about what is going on."

Most often it's because they don't actually know anything.

The whole thing was found out because someone found a data dump and alerted Adobe. It's not like alarm klaxons go off at Adobe HQ blaring, "INTRUDER ALERT!!!" when someone's in the server.

If the case IS actually just ignorance, would you like them to simply make something up so that they have something to say to you?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:57:25 am

I guess I am just being a bit paranoid. I did get an e-mail from them and did change my password. I did go directly to the Adobe website and not click on any link in the e-mail in case it was some sort of scam.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:28:03 am

They now have your email and probably an IP address.

I received emails and even a printed letter from Adobe in the mail telling me to change my info and double check credit sites.

I would use official channels, people. Be smart and don't give anything else away.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:44:05 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Be smart and don't give anything else away."

Judging from some responses, I think some people don't want to be smart online.

Too much work.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:21:20 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "They now have your email and probably an IP address.

I received emails and even a printed letter from Adobe in the mail telling me to change my info and double check credit sites.

I would use official channels, people. Be smart and don't give anything else away."

When you say "They" I assume you mean the website that "knows" whether your account has been compromised and not Adobe? I did receive an e-mail and changed my password. The message I received was legitimate but to be safe I went to the Adobe website directly.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:29:05 pm

Yes. "They", meaning this highly phishy site.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:31:16 pm

Thank you. Again my apologies if I was out of bounds.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:45:04 pm

I don't think you were out of bounds, you did the right thing.

I just know that personally, I wouldn't type my address in to a suspect website that is cross checking a stolen database. What does this website tell me that I don't already know?

It's really easy, assume your stuff is stolen. Change your password, change your other passwords if you use the same password, get a new credit card number. Yes, all of that sucks, but it is safe.

There is an official Adobe spokesperson on this thread that says to not trust it, and as a matter of fact there are "several" websites out there phishing. I don't care what kind of witch hunt for Adobe you are on (the Royal You, not you personally), it's solid advice.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Nov 22, 2013 at 10:50:22 am

The author of said tool is willing to share the source code for his online check tool.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/5836734#5836734

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]