FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating more parts of my workflow to FCP-X.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Migrating more parts of my workflow to FCP-X.
on Nov 3, 2013 at 1:17:23 am

Since a lot of folks are still discussing CC over in the FCP-X forums - I figured I'd share the love.

The past few days, I've noticed that I seem to be migrating more than more of my work directly into X and forgoing the use of many other programs that I used to have to use regularly.

For example, I do a pretty robust part of my practice doing voiceover work. It surprised me to discover it was so easy to essentially migrate ALL of it into X!

My VO chain is now my Neumann TLM-103 directly into my laptop running X's Voice Record module - so I now BOTH record and distribute my work directly from my voice booth. Other than AC and wi-fi - all the old studio VO wiring is now dormant! Well, unless I'm engineering a season involving another talent. Still, day to day,I process my VOs on storylines in X. For audio post, the built in X/Logic plug-ins are dreamy clean - and basic mixing for spots is a snap with X's one-swipie "range ducking" - And, of course, the Event Browser keeps my finished projects sorted by ID and ready to call up and export for either client delivery - or mastering for upload to services like Voice123.

I'm also doing a fair bit of my graphics work directly in X. I know, that's kinda weird, and It's not at all supplanting Pixelmator or Graphics Converter - and it's certainly not a complex monster like Photoshop - but I can still rapidly comp together really useful title screen or closing credit crawl - or adapt something from the "Open in Motion" linkage - and work the result as a still or a kinetic plate - without needing to leave the X interface much at all.

Honestly, I'm finding X to be a bit like a sci-fi movie Swiss Army Knife for rapid content creation. The sci-fi reference is because where a pocket knife is only good for small tasks - maybe someday there will be a pocket knife with something like a "Jedi Knight light saber" blade capable of felling big stuff like oak trees?

Anyway, it's really nice only having to concentrate on one primary tool - rather than having to master the nuances of a dozen or more.

My 2 cents, anyway.

And please, keep dropping by the X forums with stories about CC! - I'm learning new stuff every day and the more we all know about each other's tools - the better informed all our choices will always be!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Migrating more parts of my workflow to FCP-X.
on Nov 3, 2013 at 2:35:54 am

If all you do is basic editing, then all you need is basic tools.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Nov 3, 2013 at 9:55:58 am

We used to do that years ago for short factual films - in about FCP3 or 4. Lip mic record straight in to the timeline. Very fast.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 3, 2013 at 1:07:03 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "We used to do that years ago for short factual films - in about FCP3 or 4."

But, Bernard, doing it in FCPX means that it's revolutionary!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2013 at 4:59:04 pm

You bet Gary!

I guess X was just barely "complex" enough to get me through my recent regional Emmy awards show edit - the one with 700 entries in every video format under the sun. The one where I had to categorize and manage the 140 finalists in X's database, make montages of category winners, adding presentation pieces into my always live and instantly accessible X database all the content FTP'd into my shop from the Hollywood TV industry.

I'm sure it's "simpler" in your mind then the other NLE that Randy architected when he was younger and didn't know as much - maybe in the same way an iPhone is "simpler" than a desktop telephone because it has a smooth surface that's "simplified" compared with all those mechanical buttons on an older phone?

And yep, I could functionally do VO direct into FCP Legacy. But I didn't. Because I never thought about moving my Mac Pro into my voice booth. It wasn't until I realized that FCP-X actually ran better and faster on my more modern laptop than on my aging massive desktop system - that I started to think in terms of what it meant to be "un-tethered" from my old ways of thinking about some parts my production processes.

I kinda like that "un-tethered" concept, actually. The concept that if I take a vacation and don't need to edit for a while, I remain similarly untethered from a system that will relentlessly keep billing me for something I'm not actually using.

Maybe that's a new definition of "professional" we could consider? A professional is someone willing to pay to keep a subscription current in order to enenable their access to professional tools, whether or not the subscriber may be actually using them in a given period.

Be fun to debate whether this is closer to "software rental" or, since video editing for some is what' sustains their family economics, this is more a vague new form of indenture. Fail to pay your software bill and your livelihood becomes a cloud hostage?

Strange times indeed.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Nov 3, 2013 at 9:43:22 pm

there's a valid point there - that guy who gave the lacpug talk on the brothers sisters film he prepped for sundance talked quite interestingly about how much he could effect in FCPX - including having to do a functioning mix within FCPX itself due to issues getting it out.

he said that he felt apple have work to do, to get the audio element to match the seamless video environment, but he was able to get it done - largely because of the quality of the audio effect units available to FCPX. the audio units in FCPX are unlike anything else on the market.
but what was interesting was his hardcore software background in nuke, shake and AE - he spoke pretty passionately about the approach apple had taken. that he felt it was intellectually correct to provide simplicity with complexity on demand.
Adobe are being quite old school in that respect in terms of their software development - new features mean right click menus you can now measure with a ruler.

I'm increasingly inclined to believe that you can get deadly serious stuff done in the X system. If only because people are transparently doing so.
It's still not to my taste given I like a messy desk - and that is really true - but that's just my blinkers.

Its the same as any endeavor - if apple keep going with this, if they have ambition, and they provide the resources, there is no reason why FCPX couldn't become an inarguable proposition for people who would argue against it.

[Bill Davis] "A professional is someone willing to pay to keep a subscription current in order to enenable their access to professional tools, whether or not the subscriber may be actually using them in a given period."

let's all agree - whatever else - that is a crappy unwelcome definition of the trade - that your desire to practise the craft entails lifetime rent.

its highly agreeable that apple are advancing an extremely sophisticated body of software in the production and post production industries. Its probably critical really, given they are directly targeting new entrants. Any sane person would want it to take a strong hold, when the alternative is a company near being de-listed from the nasdaq, and another company trying to re-introduce nineteenth century landlord control over tool usage.

In that context, FCPX looks quite nice. I can cut fine in FCPX. The tagging system beats everything. And I paid two hundred odd quid two years ago. I own it.

It's a mortal lock that I am buying the new version next month.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 3, 2013 at 11:17:46 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "he said that he felt apple have work to do, to get the audio element to match the seamless video environment, but he was able to get it done - largely because of the quality of the audio effect units available to FCPX. "

Just want to point out that all AU and VST audio effects work perfectly fine in Premiere Pro. Plus you get an open timeline, tracks and superb busing. Which for multi-track audio all come in quite handy.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Nov 3, 2013 at 11:27:19 pm

for gods sake lawrence please allow me to play a certain game. I barely know what I'm talking about in audio.
but yes, the submixing, effects and bussing in premiere is surreally powerful.

although there is tendency to re-order 5.1 mix pass throughs - I don't really understand that - but an irritated pro-tools person told me that was happening at around one in the morning. It felt like it wasn't critical mind you.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 4, 2013 at 12:18:51 am

[Bill Davis] "I guess X was just barely "complex" enough to get me through my recent regional Emmy awards show edit - the one with 700 entries in every video format under the sun."

That's not complex. That's just tedious logging.

[Bill Davis] "The one where I had to categorize and manage the 140 finalists in X's database, make montages of category winners, adding presentation pieces into my always live and instantly accessible X database

All of which you can do in Premiere, though in a different way.

[Bill Davis] "all the content FTP'd into my shop from the Hollywood TV industry."

Of which FCPX had nothing to do with.

[Bill Davis] "I'm sure it's "simpler" in your mind then the other NLE that Randy architected when he was younger and didn't know as much"

Actually, FCP Legacy's biggest failing was inability to deal with multiple video formats, but Premiere handles that quite well, and has for a while.

[Bill Davis] "
I kinda like that "un-tethered" concept, actually. The concept that if I take a vacation and don't need to edit for a while, I remain similarly untethered from a system that will relentlessly keep billing me for something I'm not actually using."

I edited a Red One 4k feature in native REDCODE on a Sony VAIO dual-core i7 laptop in Premiere CS5 back in '11, so not exactly a new concept.

[Bill Davis] "
Maybe that's a new definition of "professional" we could consider? A professional is someone willing to pay to keep a subscription current in order to enenable their access to professional tools, whether or not the subscriber may be actually using them in a given period."

Considering that you can be up and running with CC once your subscription lapses in well under 5 minutes, I don't see what that has to do with anything. You let it lapse when you are not using it and you are up and running soon enough. Oh, no Internet? Well, I could tether my phone and just let Premiere call home when I am offsite, and voila! But maybe that's too complex an operation for you?

[Bill Davis] "Fail to pay your software bill and your livelihood becomes a cloud hostage?"

No, I still have FCPX as well situations like you mention. But overall, it's not suitable for every project I do.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 5, 2013 at 12:02:20 am

Indenture...

yeah. But how can I work without Photoshop and Illustrator? What applications do you use that replaces them, and I dont mean "replace" as in will totally displace fully mature software, I'm not a graphic designer, but when I get stuff from graphic designers, I need to be able to use them.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:21:04 pm

Are your current, permanent-license versions of Photoshop and Illustrator broken or something? You poor guy.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:18:42 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Are your current, permanent-license versions of Photoshop and Illustrator broken or something? You poor guy....."

He means when he gets material created with a newer version of Illustrator, Photoshop, ect.

Yes, they can save backwards, but do you really want to have that conversation, "Uh, hey, can you resave and reupload older versions for me, because I'm too cheap to be on the current iteration."

Well, you usually don't say that last part, but you don't have to.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:05:14 pm

You are assuming, of course, that the Illustrator and Photoshop practitioners have themselves gone over to the Dark Side and have embraced Creative cloud.

I have grave doubts about the universality of that choice.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 6, 2013 at 3:45:12 am

[Dave LaRonde] "You are assuming, of course, that the Illustrator and Photoshop practitioners have themselves gone over to the Dark Side and have embraced Creative cloud."

From FCPX or Not:

[Jeremy Garchow] " Today, I received the first set of design files from other artists (by way of producer), that originated in Creative Cloud."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:00:48 pm

Marvelous. That's one. The landslide is officially under way, I guess.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:18:30 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Marvelous. That's one. The landslide is officially under way, I guess."

You're insinuating that there is only one?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 6, 2013 at 7:34:04 pm

Kudos to the snarkiness.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Nov 3, 2013 at 7:44:06 pm

if we can all just agree to keep editing in FCP7 until roughly 2018 everything will be fine. thank you and goodnight.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 6, 2013 at 3:45:57 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "if we can all just agree to keep editing in FCP7 until roughly 2018 everything will be fine. thank you and goodnight."

Until that date changes.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Nov 3, 2013 at 4:11:22 pm

The debate in this forum isn't about the tools good and bad points...it's about customers annoyed at how they have to pay for those tools and trying to persuade Adobe to change it's subscription model. .....a very different argument than whether the tool does what you need it to do, which is what the FCP X or not forum was designed for.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Nov 3, 2013 at 4:43:15 pm

[Andy Field] "The debate in this forum isn't about the tools good and bad points...it's about customers annoyed at how they have to pay for those tools and trying to persuade Adobe to change it's subscription model. "

Yes, I'd kind of prefer to see the forums focused on their stated topics, and the subscription issue needs constant airing and noise, here and elsewhere. It's certainly stopped me and most of the other people I know in our tracks, and I want to see a solution.

But I see Bill's point. It's true that the direction of this forum has been somewhat blurred by many, but that's often by people suggesting alternatives to the subscription-shadowed tools, and that doesn't seem completely OT.

Mike
http://www.mountainsidefilms.com
http://www.thewhalemovie.com
http://www.savingluna.com

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Nov 4, 2013 at 9:49:23 am

Well, as Bill said at the top -

"Since a lot of folks are still discussing CC over in the FCP-X forums - I figured I'd share the love."

If you love something as much as he obviously loves FCPX you can't help telling the world.

74 billion dollars, I say - that could share a bit of love around the world, instead of sitting on some desert island somewhere. http://mashable.com/2013/05/21/apple-taxes-senat/

Bernie

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 5, 2013 at 5:20:12 pm

Bill -

I'm curious as to why you posted here and not on the Adobe PPro forum, which would seem the more natural choice. Is it just the similar wording of the forum name?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:19:14 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I'm curious as to why you posted here and not on the Adobe PPro forum"

Because it got his panties in a twist when someone mentioned Premiere/Creative Cloud on the FCPX or Not forum.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:22:06 pm

[Gary Huff] "Because it got his panties in a twist when someone mentioned Premiere/Creative Cloud on the FCPX or Not forum."

Nothing I enjoy more than a fresh and creative metaphor, Gary!

; )

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:19:29 pm

Herb,

I suppose for the same reason people keep coming to the FCP-X "or not" forum to talk about all manner of similar comparative topics -readership.

I suspect that extremely few people are "subscribing" to Creaitve Cloud exclusively to get access only to Adobe Premier.

This is by Adobe's design in making CC a monthly "all for a modest monthly fee" deal.

So there are arguably many, many people who have a significant level of interest in using a video editing tool - who are CC subscribers but who would be interested in knowing the differences between their "included" tool (PPro) and what's available outside the forced subscription model.

The spread of accurate knowledge is always a good thing!

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:25:20 pm

[Bill Davis] "I suppose for the same reason people keep coming to the FCP-X "or not" forum to talk about all manner of similar comparative topics -readership. "

To be clear I wasn't objecting, I was just curious about your choice. This forum is mostly a bitch fest about Adobe's subscription decision, there is very little discussion of the merits of any of the actual software here. That's why I thought the PPro forum more likely, but there is a much greater overlap of contributors here and with FCPX or Not, so I can see it that way as well.

Post away.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]