FORUMS: list search recent posts

Funny thing about the Adobe hack...

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Funny thing about the Adobe hack...
on Oct 22, 2013 at 4:35:20 am

After the hack I received an email from Adobe about it and received a follow up letter in the mail today. Among other things the letter gave boiler plate info about keeping an eye out for ID/CC theft including checking your credit history with the 'big three' credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion and Equifax). Now here's the funny part.

It's come out today that Experian has unknowing been selling data to an international ID theft ring. Credit history, Social Security Numbers, addresses, birth dates, driver's License numbers, mother's maiden names, etc.,.. are all for sale. Pretty much all the info you need (and more) to easily steal someone's identity and Experian sold the info on 500,000 people before they were alerted by authorities that they'd been scammed.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/10/experian-sold-consumer-data-to-id-theft-...

As I was reading up on the Experian security breach (and I call it that as they should have robust measures to make sure they aren't selling data to global ID theft networks) I discovered that other major 'data brokers' have been compromised this year (yes, all in 2013) including LexisNexus (billed as the "world’s largest electronic database for legal and public-records related information). For months (yes, months!) these services were hacked into before the breaches in security were discovered and eliminated.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/09/data-broker-giants-hacked-by-id-theft-se...

So why do I bring this up? Because these are the types of reasons why I wasn't flipping out over the Adobe hack. There is much more sensitive data out there about all of us than what Adobe has and that data is susceptible to hackers and scammers too.

Maybe it's too soon in the news cycle, but the Adobe hack seemed to have been all over the place while these companies (with much more potentially damaging info) barely get a mention at all.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
Re: Funny thing about the Adobe hack...
on Oct 22, 2013 at 1:45:52 pm

This is why, among other reasons, a lot of experts feel its worse than other breaches:

http://gigaom.com/2013/10/04/adobe-source-code-breech-its-bad-real-bad/

As I think a lot of people have said before, it's not as much about credit card and personal data (although that's bad enough from a company that wants us to trust them for monthly payments forever).

It's about the source code. Completely different matter

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:33:50 pm

We might have hit on this previously Chris, but I agree that the stolen code is more worrisome than the stolen customer info. And much of the stolen code seems to be for products that are much more broad reaching than just the creative industry (which makes sense) . Some people were worried about getting hacked via AE or PPro and that's just more over reacting, IMO.

I'm reading about RATS hacks (Remote Access Tools) more and taking Adobe out of the equation I'm sure users' data and privacy is much less secure than they thought it was.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/rat-breeders-meet-the-men-who-sp...
'

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:03:22 am

Another small reminder of where we were a few short years ago and why this is all relevant. The issue is trust:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172701/article.html

Again, trust.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:07:23 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Another small reminder of where we were a few short years ago and why this is all relevant. The issue is trust:"

Well, that's the problem right there. McAfee sucks!

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:33:58 pm

Sure cant argue with that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 24, 2013 at 2:16:20 am

And people snicker at me because I still use cash, pay bills by check and actually put it in anenvelope and mail it. Let 'em snicker, I say.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:01:02 am

[Chris Pettit] "Another small reminder of where we were a few short years ago and why this is all relevant. The issue is trust:
"

I agree the issue is trust and I trust Adobe with very little data. My email provider? I trust with a lot of data. HR departments for the many, many companies I've worked for over the years? I trust with a lot of data. Guy who does my taxes? Land lords I've given rental applications too? People at the DMV? Lots of data, lots of data and... lots of data. ;)

I don't think twice when I hand a credit card over to a waiter/waitress to pay for a meal and I entrust them and Adobe with basically the same info.

[Dave LaRonde] "And people snicker at me because I still use cash, pay bills by check and actually put it in anenvelope and mail it. Let 'em snicker, I say."

So you put your name, address, bank account number and bank account routing number onto a piece of paper which you then drop into a most likely unsecured box outside your home. A complete stranger takes that piece of paper out of the box and gives it to another complete stranger. Sounds safe to me. ;)

Of course we're assuming that the bank itself doesn't get hacked or that someone working at the bank isn't skimming money out of customer's accounts or selling private info to ID thieves.

It's nearly impossible to exist in a modern society without having your private enough spread to the four winds for a variety of reasons.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 24, 2013 at 1:38:23 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "And people snicker at me because I still use cash, pay bills by check and actually put it in anenvelope and mail it. Let 'em snicker, I say."

Do you also wear a helmet while driving? A surgical mask when you're out in public 99% of the time?

They snicker because you give yourself a lot of headache for little gain.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:10:50 pm

[Gary Huff] "Do you also wear a helmet while driving? A surgical mask when you're out in public 99% of the time?

They snicker because you give yourself a lot of headache for little gain."

LOL I do have a rather bright night light in my room. This way I can scare off any monsters from under the bed not to mention avoid running into a wall if I need a drink of water. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]