FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lease or Own

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Lease or Own
on May 9, 2013 at 8:44:20 pm

To lease or to own? That is the question in my mind so here is a bit of an analogy -- leasing an apartment or buying a home. Both have benefits and the drawbacks.

Leasing an apartment means you pay rent every month or get evicted. The bright side is you don't have to mow the lawn or do all of that other maintenance that goes with owning a home, but there is a downside. You can't remodel the bathroom or kitchen, change the paint on the wall, install that ceiling fan or expand when you have kids or need that all important man cave.

Owning a house does mean some maintenance but you also get to remodel the bathroom or kitchen. Perhaps you you can add on that extra room for a growing family or for your man cave. You can add the new ceiling fan or make other changes as you see fit.

To me the Creative Cloud is like renting an apartment, not many choices when you decide to remodel or expand. You are stuck with what you are renting at the time. Stop paying rent and out you go.

I prefer the perpetual license when I can decide to expand later down the road or when there is a need and not have some cookie-cutter approach being forced down my throat. I may not need that extra space now but like to be flexible when I do need it.

Those are my thoughts.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
Re: Lease or Own
on May 9, 2013 at 10:35:31 pm

But your furniture (projects) will work just as well in a new apartment as the old one. You can move if you want. If Creative Cloud were an apartment, your next move could only be onto the street. In fact you couldn't even sit on your couch there!

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Carl Sollenberger
on May 9, 2013 at 10:40:12 pm

"I prefer the perpetual license when I can decide to expand later down the road or when there is a need and not have some cookie-cutter approach being forced down my throat. I may not need that extra space now but like to be flexible when I do need it."

I agree!
As I have said in several threads here - like a mechanic or a carpenter, I prefer to own my own tools that I use to make my living with. I like the security I have when owning.

I no more want to rent software than I want to rent the computer I use for production, or the video camera I use to acquire my footage.
It's not an issue of wrong or right - it's what I like. If Adobe takes away that choice I can't stop them. I'll have to suck it up and just look in to other software - which I'm actually doing now.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 9, 2013 at 11:38:51 pm

[David Mathis] " leasing an apartment or buying a home. Both have benefits and the drawbacks"

I'm probably a lifelong renter. I live in SF's Mission District. No way could I every afford to pay Zuckerberg prices for a new home. However, that subject is a little off topic! ;-)

http://uptownalmanac.com/2013/02/did-mark-zuckerberg-pay-10-million-move-mi...

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]