FORUMS: list search recent posts

So, where are we now?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Andonian
So, where are we now?
on Oct 19, 2013 at 5:36:18 am

I was in here quite regularly during the launch of Creative Cloud, but after a while the reality of the whole thing- the gloomy outlook that seemed to be shared by almost everyone, and the fact that Adobe didn't seem to care that so many people were so sharply against the move to subscriptions- got to be very depressing, and I realized I really needed a break from all this.

Now that some time has passed, and the shock of the cloud subscription being the new normal has worn off a bit, I thought I'd come back and see how things were going. Have there been any positive changes since I left? Most of all I was curious if there had been any signs of Adobe taking steps to allow projects to be accessed in any way after a subscription ends. That was my biggest concern in all this...

Greg Andonian, a.k.a. Derek

adobe2014.tumblr.com

#adobe2014

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: So, where are we now?
on Oct 19, 2013 at 1:01:04 pm

[Derek Andonian] "Most of all I was curious if there had been any signs of Adobe taking steps to allow projects to be accessed in any way after a subscription ends."

Not yet. At least not related to Premiere Pro CC project files.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Oct 19, 2013 at 4:17:27 pm

We will have to wait till they sell adobe or the cloud disipates sometime in the next 2 years. I think it will be earlier. I am hoping that fcpx gets its act together specialy with motion if no its cs6 its vegas

ricardo

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 19, 2013 at 7:08:59 pm

After a period of time in which Adobe repeatedly promised to address policy issues and "tweak" their offerings, they went radio silent. When pushed on the issue we heard "soon" and "be patient", even some apologies for it taking so long, but ultimately nothing. Total silence. Enough time has passed now that there is little reason to believe that Adobe will be true to it's word and announce anything about an exit strategy anytime soon. The only change is they panicked about the loss of photographers and offered a big discount for them, (which expires on Dec 31st! Then what???)

From what I understand, the reason we haven't heard anything is that there is division of opinion within Adobe as to what (or if) to do anything in this regard. Just as there is division of opinion about mandatory subscriptions out here, I'm confident those same divisions exist within Adobe as well. And if so, then it all comes down to what I think we've always known:

If they meet subscription targets they will continue to tell anyone who doesn't like it to kiss off, no loyalty, no looking back, take it or leave it. Adobe has repeatedly demonstrated that it's all about market power, not loyalty or customers concerns

If they fail to meet targets over time, then the people who promoted "CC only" within Adobe will get fired and Adobe will be forced to reset the clock and attempt to repair the enormous damage done with the thousands of us who won't tolerate renting software tools. Additionally, the software industry will take due notice and be much more cautious before other companies try to force people into rental software schemes

I would also add that I don't think the equation has changed much. For those who think mandatory CC is perfectly fine or even preferable, they're happily subscribing. For those like myself who will NEVER subscribe without an exit strategy, nothing has changed, we are still here, using CS6 or other tools, with NO plans to jump on board without a change to policy (I was offered a free years subscription BTW, turned it down). There is just as much opposition as there was in May, we just have less to talk about. Another big group is in the middle: New users who are delighted to get the tools for a monthly fee when they would never had paid for a PL to begin with. But the big question is how many of those people are there and how loyal to the software will they be after getting the bill every month? And can their numbers outweigh all of us? Big question.

Adobe didn't offer all those expiring discounts for nothing. Adobe is well aware that it would be very bad news if they failed to meet their first subscriptions target. And they just barely made it. Now the end of year is upon us and all those introductory prices expire.

Is it reasonable to believe that Adobe will make their long term subscription targets without lowering prices permanently? I seriously question that. But we wont know for a while, maybe years.

One things for sure: if people buckle and sign up, they win, we lose.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 19, 2013 at 8:23:02 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Adobe didn't offer all those expiring discounts for nothing. Adobe is well aware that it would be very bad news if they failed to meet their first subscriptions target. And they just barely made it. Now the end of year is upon us and all those introductory prices expire.

Is it reasonable to believe that Adobe will make their long term subscription targets without lowering prices permanently? I seriously question that. But we wont know for a while, maybe years."

I think we will know in another 18 months to 2 years. In the event Apple can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new version of "X" things could get very interesting.

The fact that Adobe had to take drastic measures to reach their initial target goal is not a good thing. Leaves a very bad feeling in my stomach.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 21, 2013 at 1:36:52 am

Whether the subscription model is here to stay or not I don't really care, if the product sucked it wouldn't matter. But it doesn't, Premiere CC is the best NLE I've used - ever. No not perfect, still work to be done, but it's a great app, night and day better than CS6 and totally worth the monthly fee - which is easily paid for after the first hour I work each month.

Still I agree with others, if Apple can "fix" FCPX and I suspect they will, I'd have no problem using it full-time - but it's got a long way to go before it matches CC for the feature film and broadcast work that I do.

Okay... time to quit whining and start wining :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Cameron Clendaniel
on Oct 21, 2013 at 1:55:23 pm

Lance - couldn't agree with you more. The whole subscription issue is unfortunate as Premiere CC is hands down the best NLE I've ever used. Miles ahead of CS6.

Cameron Clendaniel
Film Editor, NYC
718-254-8027
cam@camclendaniel.com
http://www.camclendaniel.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 21, 2013 at 4:58:30 pm

I would really like to have Premiere Pro as well along with After Effects but simply feel the subscription only model involves too much risk.

Have thought about a Final Cut Pro X, Motion and Nuke as an alternative but a node-based program will probably not be the most appropriate option for motion graphics. Motion just feels too restricted at this point though it can do some really awesome stuff.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Oct 21, 2013 at 7:48:42 pm

Agree Pr CC is a great NLE, but there are still things that FCP7 did better: 3-way CC, Media Manager with Transcoding, and ripple delete.
Plus I hate having to wait ages for audio conforms...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]