FORUMS: list search recent posts

Oliver Peters' new article on Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
Oliver Peters' new article on Creative Cloud
on Oct 12, 2013 at 6:47:40 pm

Good new article from Oliver on Creative Cloud.

Overall, I find it well-balanced, though I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion. Maybe I'm being myopic, but from where I sit, I don't see the ruckus over subscription-only settling down anytime soon. And I loathe to imagine a world where other software companies go the way of Adobe.

More thoughts about Adobe’s Creative Cloud

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Oliver Peters' new article on Creative Cloud
on Oct 12, 2013 at 11:50:06 pm

[David Lawrence] "Overall, I find it well-balanced, though I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion."

Thanks. I don't think I necessarily concluded it one way or the other. Obviously, some people think it's a good deal and others don't. Ironically, I find smaller companies, rather than larger ones, being attracted to it. At least of those I have contact with.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Oct 13, 2013 at 12:49:15 am

[Oliver Peters] "I find smaller companies, rather than larger ones, being attracted to it. At least of those I have contact with."

Interesting, I would expect the opposite so I guess it really depends.

Perhaps those smaller companies ramp staff up and down more often on a project basis. That's one scenario where CC is an ideal fit, as opposed to the college example where budgets are unpredictable and irregular. Unpredictable budgets and project-based purchases are common for freelancers as well.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 13, 2013 at 1:00:47 am

[David Lawrence] "I would expect the opposite so I guess it really depends."

Me, too.

[David Lawrence] "Perhaps those smaller companies ramp staff up and down more often on a project basis."

There are a couple of issues with large companies. One is the complexity of changing the accounting side of things. You are no longer purchasing a capital asset. You are adding a new, on-going expense. Regardless of whether one or the other is better, the fact that it has to be changed - and that it affects taxes - creates a PITA for the accounting department.

Second, a really large company expects even better deals than Adobe is offering. For example, if you only want 100 out of 500 seats to have Photoshop and nothing else, then you want to pay a reduced per-seat price for those users. AFAIK, Adobe isn't doing that kind of a deal. Might be too complex. In any case, I know for a fact that this has been a stumbling block for at least one broadcast group.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Oct 14, 2013 at 8:27:02 am

I do all the corporate video work for a university in London and they have the same issue with CC and their accounting department - apparently because it's an ongoing expense and not a one-off purchase several complexities occur, so to avoid the headache this causes, the various film/video related courses have all chosen to teach FCPX as their software of choice. There are several copies of CS6 floating around but no-one is on CC. I'm not saying a switch to CC can't be done but the hassle it causes seems to have been enough of a roadblock to send people FCPX's way.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:08:48 pm

My college example was real world. In the summer, I started cutting a feature at a local college film program. They partner students and pros to turn out real features, hence pro DPs, editors, etc. working with students assisting.

I am also an advisor to the program, so have some input into purchases. They were at the start of a fiscal year and I asked about possible upgrades to their 4 edit stations, which had FCP7 installed. MC, FCPX and Premiere Pro CC were all in consideration. Premiere Pro got nixed because the decision would have to be made at an upper level, since the school had in excess of 400 computers running some type of Adobe software. Given the complexity of this decision, I had them buy FCP X with two extra seats of MC 7 (as a back-up) instead.

This was the film department, but their digital media department would be the biggest beneficiary of going to CC. Likewise, they are stuck at CS6 for now. I don't view buying CS6 for Premiere as a good solution for a program that has to be looking towards the future. For Photoshop alone, maybe, but not for editing.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:42:51 pm

From the large corporation side (I work for a rather large one) it is also about deployment. I know Adobe has a enterprise solution but it is different. This means the IT department has to test it, approve it and figure out how to manage it.

I don't know of many IT departments that are not overworked and moving to CC is not mission critical so a project like that falls far down on the list of importance.

With that said, they will have to deal with it soon not because of us video guys, but for the hundreds of others that use the Adobe products for web development, print, etc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 16, 2013 at 12:09:08 am

As an employee of a company that owns... well, more TV stations than anyone else, it's hurry up and wait and grind your teeth.

Word had it that folks at the home office were negotiating a deal with Adobe for CC, and in the interim users were told to download the trial version to use with certain new-season animation projects. Well, that was 40 days ago: now people at stations have useless software and no recourse to open the project files created in them.

I don't know which party is responsible for the holdup, but I'm REALLY glad I didn't have to deal with it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:53:37 am

Thats what adobe wants. now your station is obligated to go cc or loose the work done. that's what will happen to many who use who took the cheap offer just to take advantage of it.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 16, 2013 at 1:33:50 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "now your station is obligated to go cc or loose the work done."

Respectfully, they'd find themselves in this exact same situation today if they had used ANY system with a time-limited demo, and then run out of time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Oct 16, 2013 at 5:29:58 pm

Yes but in this case they where negociating with adobe a cc deal that as i understand did not go through. i am sure that adobe told them to use the demo while they where working things out.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 16, 2013 at 6:39:21 pm

Dave, I would be happy to downsave a few CC AEPs if you need me to, back to CS6, CS5.5, or CS5, as a very small thank-you for all the help you've given me and the rest of the Ae community over the years.

[Ricardo Marty] "Yes but in this case they where negociating with adobe a cc deal that as i understand did not go through. i am sure that adobe told them to use the demo while they where working things out."

Ricardo, I know you are down on CC, but it sounds like you are making stuff up just so you can bash Adobe more.

Regardless of whatever the sales folks said, someone at the group decided to put time-limited demos into production. This has nothing to do with CC or subscription. They'd be stuck with inaccessible project files until they paid up if they went for a 30-day NUKE demo, or a 30-day Smoke demo, or a 30-day FCPX trial, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:52:38 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Dave, I would be happy to downsave a few CC AEPs if you need me to, back to CS6, CS5.5, or CS5, as a very small thank-you for all the help you've given me and the rest of the Ae community over the years."

Blush. Believe me, you've helped me more than I have helped you.

I'll check with the station graphic artist about the AEP's that he can't use. As I recall it's just a handful, supplied by outside parties, and contain no groundbreaking effects. It's just that they used the newest version.

I have your email; within a few days, perhaps early next week, you'll have my work email.

Again, thank you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]